Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: How does the satellite business work?

Divinejames

How does the satellite business work?

I worked at a satellite operator for some years, so I should hopefully be able to answer this

Satellite operators (people like Eutelsat, SES, etc.) are the people who will take a big loan of hundreds of millions of £s/$s and order a satellite from a satellite manufacturer (such as Airbus Defence and Space, Thales, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, etc.). The operators will also pay for the launch vehicle (provided by Arianespace, Krunichev, SpaceX, etc.)… depending on how big the satellite is they either have to buy the whole rocket, or maybe they can split the cost with another operator… but the big telecom satellites usually take up a whole rocket.

Fast-forward 2-3 years: the satellite the operator ordered has been manufactured, tested and launched into space. After launch there is a period of time where the satellite operators will manoeuvre the satellite to its correct position: for telecom satellites this is usually somewhere in the geostationary arc, an orbit with an altitude of 35,786 km, which allows the satellite to orbit with just the right velocity, such that from the POV of someone looking up at it from the Earth, it seems to stay stationary. Once the satellite arrives at its “slot” there will be a period of commissioning where they test all the various systems and ensure nothing broke during launch! Commissioning usually takes a couple of weeks.

THEN! They’re up and running! The satellite and the launch cost hundreds of millions, and GEO satellites usually only last 15-20 years before starting to malfunction / running out of fuel and requiring them to be “retired”. So the operators have got to sell the services and make their money back plus profit before this expensive asset fully depreciates.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Divinejames For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (03-11-18),duoduo (03-11-18),Ev0 (04-11-18),samsid (03-11-18),widar (03-11-18)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I won't be able to sleep tonight thinking of Rupert worrying about paying for his next satellite LOL

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by v8rick View Post
    I won't be able to sleep tonight thinking of Rupert worrying about paying for his next satellite LOL
    Rupert doesn't own any satellites. He is just a tenant.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    And here's me thinking satellites were built for free and cost nothing to put into orbit.

Divinejames
    Quote Originally Posted by Divinejames View Post
    I worked at a satellite operator for some years, so I should hopefully be able to answer this

Satellite operators (people like Eutelsat, SES, etc.) are the people who will take a big loan of hundreds of millions of £s/$s and order a satellite from a satellite manufacturer (such as Airbus Defence and Space, Thales, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, etc.). The operators will also pay for the launch vehicle (provided by Arianespace, Krunichev, SpaceX, etc.)… depending on how big the satellite is they either have to buy the whole rocket, or maybe they can split the cost with another operator… but the big telecom satellites usually take up a whole rocket.

Fast-forward 2-3 years: the satellite the operator ordered has been manufactured, tested and launched into space. After launch there is a period of time where the satellite operators will manoeuvre the satellite to its correct position: for telecom satellites this is usually somewhere in the geostationary arc, an orbit with an altitude of 35,786 km, which allows the satellite Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire to orbit with just the right velocity, such that from the POV of someone looking up at it from the Earth, it seems to stay stationary. Once the satellite arrives at its “slot” there will be a period of commissioning where they test all the various systems and ensure nothing broke during launch! Commissioning usually takes a couple of weeks.

THEN! They’re up and running! The satellite and the launch cost hundreds of millions, and GEO satellites usually only last 15-20 years before starting to malfunction / running out of fuel and requiring them to be “retired”. So the operators have got to sell the services and make their money back plus profit before this expensive asset fully depreciates.

MY problem has been solved

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Still trying to work this thread out. What problem?
    Octagon SF8008 4K, VU+Duo 2..
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley69 View Post
    Still trying to work this thread out. What problem?
    probably no problem whatsoever, i bet he got a fair few clicks on his links in signature
    job done.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Willo3092 For This Useful Post:

click123 (23-09-19)