Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: What's the truth about spy satellites?

Divinejames

What's the truth about spy satellites?

g0ogle isn't giving me much info, so I'm asking here... and BTW, I'm not trying to hide from space-bound eyes, I'm just curious about this, as it'll affect how I word certain passages in a fictional novel. SO...

Is everything always in view of one spy satellite or another? Or is there some percentage of "blind spot" where no spy satellite anywhere is gathering telemetry of a certain location, and if so, what percentage of the Earth is being viewed at any given time?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    I can't add anything to this:
    Code:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments/852ydr/whats_the_truth_about_spy_satellites/
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Divinejames View Post
    g0ogle isn't giving me much info, so I'm asking here... and BTW, I'm not trying to hide from space-bound eyes, I'm just curious about this, as it'll affect how I word certain passages in a fictional novel. SO...

Is everything always in view of one spy satellite or another? Or is there some percentage of "blind spot" where no spy satellite anywhere is gathering telemetry of a certain location, and if so, what percentage of the Earth is being viewed at any given time?
    It doesn't matter how many spy satellites there are or if they are in fixed positions or have orbits where they periodically scan an area if no-one is processing the data. It takes a human to locate, identify, analyse the information from the satellites and the more data you have it is possibly not that beneficial if you have to wade through tons of rubbish.

You can see the problem yourself if you just take a satellite image on Google Earth for your own town. How many missile transporters are hiding under the petrol station canopy on the edge of town? You may however be at a disadvantage because you don’t have a powerful computer and sophisticated software that can recreate a HD image from the data from a single image pixel. There is no camera in the world with enough resolution to take a snapshot of the whole of the UK in one go and then be able to zoom in and see, and identify, your car in your driveway. The Google images are a composite of many thousands/millions of images with the camera pointing at a different place on the earth surface hence at any one time 99.9999% of the UK wouldn’t be seen by this camera.

Having found something of interest a satellite may have steerable camera/sensor that can be maintained on one location for a short period as it overflys the location or a fixed satellite may have a steerable camera/sensor. The problem is to identify this localised location in the first place in order to study it in more detail later.

Rather than looking for information on spy satellites look at the orbit information for other types of satellites such as those gathering detailed data on worlds oceans or magnetics etc. and assume that a spy satellite can do the same.

If writting a work of fiction cannot you just use the same B******t as used in many TV programs and films. If writting science fiction anything in the future is possible but don't assume with existing technology. Big brother could aready be watching all of use using nano-drones, one for each indivual in the country.
    Last edited by adm; 03-11-18 at 10:56.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Divinejames
    Quote Originally Posted by Divinejames View Post

I got my answer thank you

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________

***ADMIN REMOVED LINKS***
    Last edited by Sicilian; 05-11-18 at 07:43. Reason: REMOVED LINKS