Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Samba: problem copying files larger than 4GB

Title
    Thanks

Samba: problem copying files larger than 2GB

Hi everyone,

My first post here, so please accept my apologies if I forgot something. I have this weird issue where, whenever I try to copy a file from my VU+ Ultimo 4K to my Mac's hard drive, it fails after 4GB (I/O error) while files under 2GB copy perfectly.
    It also worked before when I was using a BlackHole image.

So are there any parameters I should tweak/look for in the samba configuration files to fix this ?

Thank you already !

Daniel
    Last edited by timberland; 10-10-18 at 12:56.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timberland View Post
    Hi everyone,

My first post here, so please accept my apologies if I forgot something. I have this weird issue where, whenever I try to copy a file from my VU+ Ultimo 4K to my Mac's hard drive, it fails after 4GB (I/O error) while files under 2GB copy perfectly.
    It also worked before when I was using a BlackHole image.

So are there any parameters I should tweak/look for in the samba configuration files to fix this ?
    If the actual file-system is on the Mac you're not using Samba (a server process) on the Vix box - you'll be using the cifs kernel module.

It might be that there are options on the Mac to allow 64-bit file-sizes?
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    We also have the AFS modules, that may be better suited for the OP

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you both for your replies. I can copy larger files from othe SMB servers and it only started happening after I changed from BlackHole to OpenVIX, so there must be a difference. The Mac hasn't changed.

As for AFP, I tried installing it from the Network->Utilities menu but it only says it will restart the box and it does, but after that it is not installed and I can install it again but with the same result.

I'll keep digging !

Thanks again !

Daniel

Title
    Thanks
    Same problem on vu+ solo2 with latest openvix. Can't copy files lager than 2gb and afp can't be installed. Tried install open-vpn but after install it can't be started.
    Returned to 5.1 version, that one worked before the update to latest openvix, but now it doesn't anymore.
    Haven't tried update without restore yet.

Tia.
    Last edited by palantir; 22-12-18 at 18:32.

Title
    Thanks
    The only solution I found was to use FTP but it is not very convenient...

Title
    Thanks
    I'll try that. If that works, it's better than nothing.
    Thanks.

Title
    Thanks
    You're welcome ! P.S. I use Transmit on the Mac for that.

Daniel

Title
    Thanks
    My problem was the other way round. Couldn't upload more than 2GB to the box. "Transmit" was also the solution for me

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    No idea whether this is related, but...

Code:
     https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-alliance-core/commit/0ebae8cad82312410b69ca8f3472831747c76fdd
    The comment says, "Also fix 2 GB limit due to previously broken waf-answer-files".
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD