Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: New box, FCB, motorised drive?

Title
    Thanks

New box, FCB, motorised drive?

Hi

Researched quite a bit here. I want to set up a motorised dish to pull in 5W through to 32.5. I watch a lot of continental TV for my work.

In my last house, I had a fixed dish with 3 LNBs covering Hotbird, Astra 1 and Astra 2. 2 pairs of feeds ran from these to a dual tuner Technomate and a dual tuner Panasonic Freesat HDD/BD.

I'm advised that with a motorised dish, it's unwise to run multiple cables and also that only 1 LNB is appropriate to precise focus. So a twin LNB running two cables down to my receiver? Or does a single suffice, assuming FCB capable receiver?

This would, I assume, allow me to watch one and record another (assuming twin tuners) as long as the second channel was on the same satellite, transponder and orientation.

In due course I'll buy a new Linux receiver, which I think allows me to easily link to my LAN to run video around the house. Gigablue has already been recommended to me. Compare to Mutant HD51? Or, indeed, a current Technomate? Can you open encrypted channels on a Linux box (in the way I did by patching the TM)?

Am I correct in assuming that if I fit a FCB LNB, the new receiver would in fact allow me to watch all channels from that satellite, not only those on the same transponder/polarisation?

Will an FCB LNB work with the legacy Technomate initially or do I have to put in the new Linux box from the start?

As mentioned in a previous post, probably only want a single morotised dish. For UK TV, I'll make do with my Freeview aerial signals and a Chromecast dongle in the spare room!

Thanks for all suggestions.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Multiple cables from a motorised dish to the same receiver is fine. You will not be limited to polrizaation/etc.

There is no such thing s FBC LNB. You get FBC tuners. You can use FBC tuners with normal LNBs.

The Technomate you have will not be Unicable compatible.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Multiple cables from a motorised dish to the same receiver is fine. You will not be limited to polrizaation/etc.

There is no such thing s FBC LNB. You get FBC tuners. You can use FBC tuners with normal LNBs.

The Technomate you have will not be Unicable compatible.
    Hi Abu

Thanks, as ever, for speedy reply. I'm obviously still wrestling with some of the terminology!

OK, so I am mixing up FCB and Unicable technology! I thought that it was the FCB that provided full channels on a receiver rather than only the TP/Polarisation. So, it seems it is the Unicable function (and that does need a special LNB)? And that special Unicable LNB works only with an FCB-capable receiver, and not my TM. So if I go down that route, I need to replace the TM immediately for the system to work. And the Unicable facility means I only need to have a single LNB and cable run to achieve the 8 channels to view/record on the receiver - presumably if I ran 2 cables, I could have another 8-way selection on the second tuner etc...

As I understand it, FCB increases the number stations that can be watched and recorded per tuner connection. Unicable allows multiple feeds to run down one cable (kind of like a built in DiSecq/diplexer?)?

Do I have that correct now?

Incidentally, soldered on a new cap to teh dodgy TM PCB board tonight - no change. Buzzes, and now switches itself off after couple of seconds... so probably new receiver on the cards.
    Last edited by goldnet; 21-09-18 at 00:22.

Title
    Thanks
    Yes, you were mixing them up.

FBC
    Relates to tuner types. These are cards or soldered on circuit board of receiver.

Unicable/Jess/SCR
    Relates to LNB or multi-switch types

As I understand it, FCB increases the number stations that can be watched and recorded per tuner connection. Unicable allows multiple feeds to run down one cable (kind of like a built in DiSecq/diplexer?)?
    That will do.

As you only want to to have a single motorised dish, a unicable LNB is not advisable although possible. Please read following:
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post474329

There is a guide on youtube showing how the unicable can be used on a motorised setup, but it is not something that we would suggest owing to the complications.

A twin output LNB on your motorised dish with two cables is your best option.
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...l=1#post328442

I'd buy a receiver with an FBC tuner and a twin hybrid tuner for Terrestrial.

Some of the questions you asked are in breach of forum rules, that is why nobody has answered. You will get answers and files on other forums.

Title
    Thanks
    Is there confusion between a monoblock LNB and an LNB with more than one output port?

Title
    Thanks
    Is there confusion between a monoblock LNB and an LNB with more than one output port?
    Monobloc LNB - 1 cable coming out ? Dual, Quad, Octo LNB - 2, 4 and 8 cables coming out respectively?

I had 4 down (2 x 2 - 2 to Freesat BDR, 2 to TM) cables on my old home setup, coming via a Disecq from 3 LNBs on 3 satellites.

On the new Linux box and motorised dish, I'd only need 1 cable from a monobloc LNB - because the FCB tuner can take 8 channels to view/record from whatever I am pointing at, right?

So no need for a dual tuner - or is it better to run 2 feeds while the engineer's up the scaffold?! Would that provide 2 primary feeds to the dual tuner, each of which could flip to 8 channels/recordings... Can't imagine ever needing more than 2-4 channels at the same time, even if I'm feeding elsewhere via my LAN.

Plus regular TV aerial feed to a terrestrial tuner.

Title
    Thanks
    You can't use a monoblock LNB on a motorised dish. it will have two heads pointing at two different satellites.

A suggestion for you...

LNB with two outputs.
    Two signal wires to receiver from LNB, one bypasses the motor. label them as "motor" and "bypass" so you don't forget after.

Title
    Thanks

New box, FCB, motorised drive?

An FBC tuner has two physical connections.

An FBC tuner without Unicable works in loop through mode for the 6 "non-physical" tuners.

Title
    Thanks
    You can't use a monoblock LNB on a motorised dish. it will have two heads pointing at two different satellites.

A suggestion for you...

LNB with two outputs.
    Two signal wires to receiver from LNB, one bypasses the motor. label them as "motor" and "bypass" so you don't forget after.
    OK, googled it - monoblock is having two LNBs integrated in single housing, not single output.

I understand dual cables from the single LNB, dual output. One moves the dish, the other carries addition (spare) feed for whatever signals available from dish's current position. Right?!

Title
    Thanks
    yes, correct for sake of simplicity.