Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motorised dish, two rooms, recommendations for cabling/receivers

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Re: Octo-LNB and motorised dish,

"In order to satisfy all users of the system the dish must remain permanently orientated to the one satellite that all the users wish to receive programing from. If the dish were to move from its permanent orientation this would disturb the viewing of all users of the system.

A motorised dish, on the other hand, allows a single user to orientate the dish at will and access broadcasts from many satellites right across the geostationary arc. Because he is the sole user of the system the continual reorientation of the dish as he moves from one satellite to another will not disturb the viewing of other users as there aren't any.

Trying to mix these two technologies will only end up producing unsatisfactory results. When multiple users (or multiple tuners) need to access more than one satellite the correct hardware to use is a permanently orientated dish with multiple LNBs or multiple dishes. This will ensure the viewing of one user does not disturb the viewing of other users of the system and also zapping will be instantaneous
    ."
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Re: Octo-LNB and motorised dish,

"In order to satisfy all users of the system the dish must remain permanently orientated to the one satellite that all the users wish to receive programing from. If the dish were to move from its permanent orientation this would disturb the viewing of all users of the system.

A motorised dish, on the other hand, allows a single user to orientate the dish at will and access broadcasts from many satellites right across the geostationary arc. Because he is the sole user of the system the continual reorientation of the dish as he moves from one satellite to another will not disturb the viewing of other users as there aren't any.

Trying to mix these two technologies will only end up producing unsatisfactory results. When multiple users (or multiple tuners) need to access more than one satellite the correct hardware to use is a permanently orientated dish with multiple LNBs or multiple dishes. This will ensure the viewing of one user does not disturb the viewing of other users of the system and also zapping will be instantaneous
    ."
    Don't have a problem with this. I'm primary viewer/listener of the satellite stations. My better half watches mainly UK TV which we have on Freeview/NowTV. A multiple LNB setup (as I had at our last house) limits me to 3 satellites and I'm quite keen to expand the range beyond the selection available on a fixed dish (say Thor 5W and Astra 2 28E or beyond).

Though I see the reasons for 2 dishes, it's not very aesthetic outside. Now I know I can network from a Linux box and pick up the networked signal on a 2nd receiver or phone/tablet/computer, I think the cabling to other room(s) is sorted as I'll have a network point in most rooms - either wifi or a nearly access point and switch for a cabled connection.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    I've got 17 satellites on my multi-sat system so I don't know why you think 3 is the limit.

Not sure what you mean about aesthetics. Just put the dishes in hidden locations if seeing them bothers you. Obviously hanging them up as high as possible is going to draw attention to them.
    Last edited by Huevos; 15-09-18 at 12:11.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    I've got 17 satellites on my multi-sat system so I don't know why you think 3 is the limit.

Not sure what you mean about aesthetics. Just put the dishes in hidden locations if seeing them bothers you. Obviously hanging them up as high as possible is going to draw attention to them.
    Maybe I didn't express myself too well. In our last house I had a dish with 3 LNBs set to Hotbird, Astra 1, Astra 2. 3 satellite limit - I could watch/record channels from any of the 3 satellites or terrestrial at a time (my receiver has 2 tuners). My intention at our new house is to have a motorised dish to pull in channels from, say 5W Thor round to 32.5E Hispasat.

I'm told on a motorised dish, it's best to stick to a single LNB so the focus is precise (the multiple LNBs are always a slight alignment compromise). So here I will have, say 30 satellites available but (on the Technomate at least, I think), I can watch/record only a limited range of channels from the same transponder/polarisation group at one time. I believe on a new Linux machine, I can have a full selection from whichever satellite I am positioned on, I think.

So I can see why you say better to have multiple dishes. What did I mean by aesthetics? If you read my earlier replies, you can see I am living in quite a picturesque place. I don't want to mar the appearance of my house (for myself or my neighbours) with a multiple dish array. A dish up on the chimney is one thing, using it as a 'transmitter mast' not quite the same!

When you say they can be hidden - shallow roof so don't think a 90/100cm dish would stand up in the loft, even if it would work behind a wall: thought they needed clear line of site?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    There are also other local planning laws to consider. Where I live (Ireland East coast) the local recent by-laws allow one satellite dish only and should not be on the front of the house. I actually have two (one motorised, one fixed) but they are on the back of the house and I've had them for 15 years or more. Neighbours haven't complained either... I've also got ADSB antenna and vertical VHF/UHF antenna, but technically I'm outside the law

You do need line of sight with a dish, so you can't mount it in an attic/loft. You could hide it behind a roof line so it couldn't be seen from the front of the house. You mentioned a chimney mount - I'd suggest that this would not be suitable for a 90/100cm dish, especially with a motorised setup, due to wind load. I see a lot of SKY installs in my area where they are attached to chimneys, but I don't think it's a good idea.
    Last edited by Joe_90; 15-09-18 at 23:03.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Got 6 dishes here. But only one on the house.

Anyway what I mean is a dish is pointing at the sky. Normally there is no need to mount it high up.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    There are also other local planning laws to consider. Where I live (Ireland East coast) the local recent by-laws allow one satellite dish only and should not be on the front of the house. I actually have two (one motorised, one fixed) but they are on the back of the house and I've had them for 15 years or more. Neighbours haven't complained either... I've also got ADSB antenna and vertical VHF/UHF antenna, but technically I'm outside the law

You do need line of sight with a dish, so you can't mount it in an attic/loft. You could hide it behind a roof line so it couldn't be seen from the front of the house. You mentioned a chimney mount - I'd suggest that this would not be suitable for a 90/100cm dish, especially with a motorised setup, due to wind load. I see a lot of SKY installs in my area where they are attached to chimneys, but I don't think it's a good idea.
    Hi

Yes, understand planning laws - not an issue here.

There's a tall and solid chimney stack coming up from a fireplace at the end of the (modern) house (wall/chimney faces South, so good for motorised directionality) - it's not an old rooftop stack. I wouldn't think there is a huge difference in mounting on here or adjacent to it high up on the same end wall, is there?

To answer Huevos also I think I can only get clear line of sight to satellite band if the dish is high up, otherwise fences, walls, plants etc would be in front of it.

Can anyone recommend a good longlife dish and quality LNB - Technomate, Triax - my dish in London was a Cahor Visiosat Bisat 75 cm. I see they do a fibreglass version. Is 75cm big enough for Shropshire or do I need to size up?

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goldnet View Post
    To answer Huevos also I think I can only get clear line of sight to satellite band if the dish is high up, otherwise fences, walls, plants etc would be in front of it.
    Get an AR app for your mobile and check.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    I would size up. Technomate are excellent dishes. Something like this from WoS >> https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...lite-dish-pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    I would size up. Technomate are excellent dishes. Something like this from WoS >> https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...lite-dish-pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Andy - yes, others have also suggested a size up. Is a fibreglass dish likely to last longer than a mesh one (we're in quite an exposed position). Or do you recommend a mesh one because it would be lighter?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12