Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Technomate TM-7102 - started buzzing - is it dying/

Title
    Thanks

Technomate TM-7102 - started buzzing - is it dying/

Moved house 8 weeks ago and finally got around to reconnecting my TM 7102 to the TV (for terrestrial HD viewing and replay of HDD recordings, while researching a motorised dish installation - other post!).

There's quite a buzzy noise coming from what I think is the PSU/transformer board. When first turned on, there was a screaming noise from the fan. A replug and switch off/on at the back seemed to deal with that.

I thought all was working fine - we had to re-tune all channels to get the full Freeview set. Watching BBC 1 HD a little later, though, signal kept dropping out momentarily. We have an amplified distributed TV connection from our loft, with a loft aerial directly facing and close to the Wrekin transmitter. Our TV has perfect vision off the same aerial feed, so I'm not sure it's a signal issue and possibly a sign of imminent failure.

As I'm about to invest in a top quality dish and motor to take in as much as I can get, I'm also considering running cables to a 2nd room, so, if the receiver is about to die, acquiring a new one isn't really a problem.

On the other hand, if it's a quick and easy fix, that saves my open/patched channels without having immediately to get to learn a newer technology receiver!

Any hints/tips - I have put in a message direct to TM too.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Sounds like some the electrolytic caps are gone or on the way out on power supply board. Always likely to show up when been off disconnected for a while.

Title
    Thanks
    I 've had Technomate receivers in the past, always end up with noisy fans. I had a 5402HD where you could turn fan off in menu, not sure if you have this particular option on this model.
    You may as well treat yourself to a linux receiver if you're going to invest in a top quality dish and motor.I wouldn't worry too much about "learning new technology", if you know how to open/ patch then linux will be a doddle!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Funman18 View Post
    Sounds like some the electrolytic caps are gone or on the way out on power supply board. Always likely to show up when been off disconnected for a while.
    Hi - yes, I think the tops of the big ones are slightly domed which is a sympton, isn't it? Had this on a Panasonic HDD/DVD and replaced the board from one bought off eBay.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by linsladeboy View Post
    I 've had Technomate receivers in the past, always end up with noisy fans. I had a 5402HD where you could turn fan off in menu, not sure if you have this particular option on this model.
    You may as well treat yourself to a linux receiver if you're going to invest in a top quality dish and motor.I wouldn't worry too much about "learning new technology", if you know how to open/ patch then linux will be a doddle!
    Hey - don't think it's the fan (which I'm up to replacing) but a buzzing, almost like a rapid oscillation close to the main transformer 'coils' - don't want to poke around too closely! If I could get a board and it's non-solder replaceable I'm up for that!

You're right, just slight 'fear' of the new and unknown (and slower learning curve over the years!) - have no understanding of how Linux boxes work and how you open channels (though the number on which patching is still successful on the TM is far less than it used to be). I watch a lot of the European culture channels for my work - Mezzo, Arte, 3Sat etc

Think I have a lot of reading up to do! I see lot of the new boxes call themselves multistream and/or seem to use broadband connection. Is that an add-on to the satellite feed, or an alternative source altogether? I know lots of people view IPTV boxes - not sure that's a long-term stable solution though, is it: sources changes a lot? Better stick with direct satellite feed?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goldnet View Post
    Hey - don't think it's the fan (which I'm up to replacing) but a buzzing, almost like a rapid oscillation close to the main transformer 'coils' - don't want to poke around too closely! If I could get a board and it's non-solder replaceable I'm up for that!

You're right, just slight 'fear' of the new and unknown (and slower learning curve over the years!) - have no understanding of how Linux boxes work and how you open channels (though the number on which patching is still successful on the TM is far less than it used to be). I watch a lot of the European culture channels for my work - Mezzo, Arte, 3Sat etc

Think I have a lot of reading up to do! I see lot of the new boxes call themselves multistream and/or seem to use broadband connection. Is that an add-on to the satellite feed, or an alternative source altogether? I know lots of people view IPTV boxes - not sure that's a long-term stable solution though, is it: sources changes a lot? Better stick with direct satellite feed?
    OK, well I bought a replacement cap and soldered it in tonight. No difference - box came on, stalled, switched on, box restarted. Buzzing. The after couple of seconds went off. I switched off and on, same again - turned itself off after couple of seconds.

So either my soldering is defective (it was pretty straightfoward I thought, and the pins were well away from anything else) or that component was not at fault or other components are also defective.

Unless there's some enthusiast here who could help (the PCB is easily removable to send for repair), it looks like a new Linux box is required.

Thank goodness all 3 years' recordings on the HDD can be accessed directly from the disc!

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    If it is capacitors, it’s likely to be more than one.
    Can you post a picture of the power supply and the motherboard?
    I think I repaired a 7102 some time ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TK4|2|1 View Post
    If it is capacitors, it’s likely to be more than one.
    Can you post a picture of the power supply and the motherboard?
    I think I repaired a 7102 some time ago.
    Here you go... IMG_5270.jpg IMG_5271.jpg

Title
    Thanks
    Oh, 1st pic looks fuzzy - will redo when I get home - you want to see the transformer bit, right?

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    No the whole board and the main board.

Title
    Thanks
    No the whole board and the main board.
    Ok - set of pics here

Title
    Thanks
    I can’t see anything obvious, but you see those 2 smaller caps in front of the big heat sink, I’d definitely be swapping those.
    Watch out for the large capacitor to the side of it, it’s rated at 400 volts, and may still have some charge in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Title
    Thanks
    I can’t see anything obvious, but you see those 2 smaller caps in front of the big heat sink, I’d definitely be swapping those.
    Watch out for the large capacitor to the side of it, it’s rated at 400 volts, and may still have some charge in it.
    Thanks- it was the 400v I replaced as it domed. Maybe try the other two as the parts are cheap and got little to lose!