Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Options for tv in bedroom (low usage)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Options for tv in bedroom (low usage)

Due to shutdown of analogue service from tv provider, need to look at a replacement service for tv channels on bedroom tv.

Have 2 xtrends running openvix hardwird to lan in house. One has 3 internal tuners - 2 x dvb-s and 1 x dvb-t. The other has 2 internal dvbs-s tuners and an external usb dual dvb-t (SonyPlay).

Looking at options to use these remotely - have spare n/w cable running from bedroom back to router, so connection could be hardwired.

From reading options seem to be

1) buy a new openvix supported receiver and run it in Client mode
    Think this will give same look and feel as if I was using one of the main boxes.

2) buy an android box and access the xtrend receivers using OpenWebIF from a browser app
    Extras would be I could use other apps eg: NowTV, Youtube, Netflix if required

3) buy a box capable of running Kodi and use the VU+ AddOn

Another option not using the xtrend sat receivers, would be to receive native dvb-t channels (Saorview in Ireland) on tv, and then use NowTV box for catch up on UK channels.

Don't use an IPTV service, and not really interested in getting one.

Any other recommendations to consider?

Thks in advance
    CT ET9000, Xtrend ET4000
    T90 Wavefrontier 5W-1W-5E-13E-19E-28E, Old Lidl dish 28E

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Does your bedroom tv not have saorview built in?I have also got triax combo with a 2tb external hdd + downstairs a walker pvr for saorview,not networked linked.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    @cattikid we will have to stop meeting like this.
    Yes native saorview would be available, but am looking for more than just Saorview channels, hence looking at using 1 of the main boxes remotely.
    CT ET9000, Xtrend ET4000

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    My problem is too many tvs and boxes and samba enabled to view recordings from any box or network nas.
    You must have a small bedroom as i like a big tv with an et10000,max digital 1000hd and triax combo to play with,android is too much to try and use in bed.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    you listed only 2 different options because 3 is included in 2. Kodi is running very well on most Android boxes.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Okay, had a play around using the kit i had lying around

1) Client Mode
    Did a factory reset on 1 xtrend, just setup network, deleted epg.dat file from usb drive, disconnected the sat and aerial cables, and reconfigured in client mode.
    After reboot, all channels/bouquets plus epg available - impressed!
    Channel changes work fine, nippy, also epg lookups. Did some recordings, few small problems until I realised the server box was actually recording off a timer.
    Left it running and then went to server box - noticed no real lag or spinning vix when changing channels or epg lookups.
    Pros: look and feel the same as main sat boxes, can channel hop easy
    Cons: cost of seperate sat box, tied to openvix image!

2) Box running Kodi with PVR addon
    Have a Chromebox running native linux with Kodi installed. Was able to get PVR addon working (eventually). After configuration, downloading channel lists and epg took way too long (I have a multisat setup). Channel changes just okay, PQ good, really suited to only 1 bouquet.
    Pros: works if you have the kit
    Cons: felt it a bit too cumbersome to use, no channel hopping, lots of lag/spinning vix on server box if trying to use it at the same time

3) Box running browser using openwebif and vlc
    Used chromebox above, logged into sat box with chrome browser, bouquets and epg work/display fine, playing stream using vlc works fin, PQ good.
    Pros: works if you have the kit
    Cons: felt it a bit too cumbersome to use, no channel hopping

4) Amazon Firestick V1
    Have a firestick with SPMC sideloaded, could not get PVR addon working, however came across app 'Dream Player for Fire TV'.
    Installed free version and configured. Worked very well, bouquet (all) update and epg data very fast.
    Very responsive, epg presented well, can set times for recordings, channel hopping works, quite responsive for a firestick.
    Free version has channel/bouquet restrictions, paid version (cost 7ukp I think), has none.
    Pros: works well, can channel hop easy, epg display good, little impact on server sat box, plus firestick also supports apps for ITV,BBC,ALL4,C5, Netflix etc
    Cons: limitations of firestick itself

Some questions if anyone can comment on

a) I used a Xtrend ET8000 box in Client Mode, what performance falloff would I expect if I used say a VU Zero?
    Is the functionality dependent of cpu power, ram, network, or maybe a bit of all 3?

b) Would an Android box perform any better that the Chromebox with native Linux?

c) Does anyone use the app above? Is there any others that are available and work well?

Have to demo to the missus next time round and see whats she thinks.
    Think I will be pushed towards Client Mode box, and as i have a few spare Now TV boxes, a combo of the 2 might be the preferred option.
    However the firestick option seems to do the same, so will be suggesting to use that for a while and see how it goes.

Thks for reading
    CT ET9000, Xtrend ET4000

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

1) Client Mode
    Did a factory reset on 1 xtrend, just setup network, deleted epg.dat file from usb drive, disconnected the sat and aerial cables, and reconfigured in client mode.
    Channel changes work fine, nippy, also epg lookups. Did some recordings, few small problems until I realised the server box was actually recording off a timer.
    Left it running and then went to server box - noticed no real lag or spinning vix when changing channels or epg lookups.

Yes another sat box as we dont have enough,but only tied to the image of server box openatv or other used.
    not used other ways so cannot say.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post

1) Client Mode

Yes another sat box as we dont have enough,but only tied to the image of server box openatv or other used.
    not used other ways so cannot say.
    Thats the beauty of having a satellite receiver with FBC tuners for the main box in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)