Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Recording HD Channels (OpenVix Image)?

Title
    Thanks

Recording HD Channels (OpenVix Image)?

Hi,

I’m a newbie posting first time, and was wondering if some kind soul would be able to answer a question about recording HD channels?

I should point out that I am asking about LEGAL recording here, and NOT PIRACY(as per the forum rules)

I have just acquired a Mutant HD51 receiver (from the site sponsor) with OpenVix image (unfortunately, I have not had a chance to play around with it yet!).

I believe, that with a LEGAL hardware Viacess CAM and LEGAL/VALID SUBSCRIPTION Pay-TV card, I can record SD channels (decrypted) onto storage (be it an internal hard drive or external memory). But, I believe that this is not the case with HD channels (the recordings remaining encrypted, and are only viewable on the receiver with the CAM/Pay-TV card still inserted).

The grey area, and I should stress that *I am NOT asking for any illegal/forum rule breaking advice here*, is I believe decrypted HD recording (with legit CAM/Card) is possible through the installation of a "Softcam"?.

I am not interested in anything illegal, and note that even the OpenVix website documents installation of Softcams (even providing some Softcams in their downloads section).

So my question is, if I download/install a softcam (from Openvix.co.uk), is it just the case of inserting the Pay TV card into the Smartcard reader, and then any subsequent HD recordings being viewable offline i.e. on my PC or any other MP4 supporting device?

Or is it more complicated than that

Thanks in advance for any help!

DarkDeveloper
    Last edited by DarkDeveloper; 08-08-18 at 10:30.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Regarding cam i believe these 4k boxes need oscam.
    If box is connected to sat 28.2 many hd channels are non encrypted and are easily viewed.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi, Thanks for the reply.

The pay tv card would be for a subscription package on Hotbird, so both SD & HD are broadcast encrypted.

If I understand OSCam correctly, it is a software or virtual cam. So I am assuming that with the Pay-TV card, I could view the encrypted channel as per normal.

If I hit the record button, would the subsequent recordings be encryption free (i.e. playable outside the reciever)? The OpenVix seems to imply that would be the case?

Thanks in advance!

Title
    Thanks
    im not to sure about this, but, I believe there is an option in openvix to record a descrambled channel, or record it scrambled to later decode, it references something to do with offline decoding?

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Why would it work different for HD and SD channels? That is a Sky UK "feature".
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Hi, thanks for the reply,

Maybe I am getting confused about the SD/HD thing (I also own a Foxsat HDR...).

But the question still stands, I have been advised (by the sponsor, amougst other sources), that to playback recordings (originally made from encrypted channels, via legal subscription) offline, I would need to install/setup OSCam...

Unfortunately, the sponsor was a little reluctant to discuss further, as I believe the usage of softcams/OSCam can sometimes border on illegality

In my case, I am just wanting to know, if I install the softcam (and use the Pay TV card in the smart reader), whether it will work out of the box (as a CAM) and allow me to make recordings stripped of encryption (so the recordings can be played external of the reciever).

I have looked at how you might setup OSCam, but a lot of the stuff I am reading is a bit complicated, and seems to assume that I am wanting to engage in piracy and/or cardsharing - which is not what I am wanting or looking for

Thanks in advance

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    There are lots of guides. But please try to set your receiver up before asking for help. When you run into a specific problem with setting up your softcam to run a legitimate subscription by all means ask for help, but right now your thread is very vague and it is hard to tell what you are asking.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I think he means he has the correct module and official card and would it work as plug and play and record to hdd.If reading usage of these modules and cards i presume they still work on the newer boxes.Oscam would then not be needed?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    I think he means he has the correct module and official card and would it work as plug and play and record to hdd.If reading usage of these modules and cards i presume they still work on the newer boxes.Oscam would then not be needed?
    Yes! and would any subseqent recordings be playable independent of the reciever?

The OpenVix manual seems to suggest that i need to use the softcam feature for encryption free recordings - so my question is how do I install and setup this, for use with a legit pay tv card?

There are lots of guides available, but they seem to require you to set up samba servers, transfer files via FTP and have softkeys... Obviously, this cannot be discussed due to forum rules, but is it even neccesary when you have a legit subscription?

The problem at the moment, is I have the reciever and cam, but am waiting for the subscription card to be delivered... so cannot test for myself, I was hoping that more experienced people than myself might have experience in this area, before I plough in myself to try and find out.

Any info/insight would be appreciated

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Install Oscam from the feeds and then create the required config files and place them in /var/tuxbox/config. If you don’t know what needs to be in the config files google your card type and Oscam or ask here. As long as you aren’t talking about card sharing it will be fine to ask.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    If the card will run under Oscam you are probably better off not using the hardware cam as it probably will restrict the number of simultaneous recordings.