Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Only audio on channels with 5.1.032

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,887 Times in 2,242 Posts
    @dntaylor
    Interesting.
    I have played this file on both my HD51 and GBue4k via hdmi into an Onkyo tx nr626 (which supposedly supports 4K passthrough but mostly doesn't!! ... but supports all the audio formats and allows you to monitor input & output streams)
    The ts file shows (mediaInfo):
    1 video stream @ 1920 x 1080i25 which plays quite happily at whatever output mode I set.
    1 audio stream AAC and another "menu" stream AAC. The 1st stream will produce good audio (English, 48.0 Khz, 2 channels, AAC (LATM) (LC) the other will not. So via your audio button on the Giga4K remote just check which audio stream you are playing.

If I don't change defaults both the HD51 and Giga4K play audio that comes into the Onkyo as PCM stereo.
    On the Giga4K: (using menu/setup/audio & video/settings) ... using the audio button on remote doesn't seem to change anything
    If I enable AAC downmix, nothing changes -> PCM stereo.
    If I enable transcode to AC3 nothing changes -> PCM stereo.
    If I enable transcode to DTS -> DTS 2 channel stereo

So I have no issue with the video stream and providing I select the "correct" audio stream that also works fine.

So based on this the GB4K appears to not be the issue in your environment as I would expect PCM 2 channel stereo on the optical............... I will try the optical into my amp later if I can find my optical leads!
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    @dntaylor
    OPTICAL!!
    So I have no issue with hdmi and the video stream and providing I select the "correct" audio stream that also works fine.

I will try the optical into my amp later if I can find my optical leads!

Edit:!!
    So optical is different.
    I only get optical to work by setting transcoding to off and AAC downmix to Yes ........ then the Onkyo sees PCM 2 channel stereo. ... anything else and it doesn't recognise the audio input.
    Any use of transcoding with optical audio input................and no audio.

So GB4K video via hdmi should work at any setting.
    GB4K and optical should work if set to downmix and transcoding off.
    Last edited by twol; 09-08-18 at 14:50.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

Title
    Thanks
    ......................... deleted
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,142 Times in 6,220 Posts
    this thread was not about the 4k receiver. I hope this doesn't get lost in the thread

Title
    Thanks
    You are correct ... we should have opened a new thread.... however?
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I was hoping it would do what it says on the tin 'transcode AAC to AC3' because sometimes BBC & Channel 4 broadcast programs with AAC 5.1. It would then come through the amp as AC3 5.1 not PCM 2.0. But thanks for testing and publishing your results.
    Last edited by dntaylor; 10-08-18 at 06:16.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dntaylor View Post
    I was hoping it would do what it says on the tin 'transcode AAC to AC3' because sometimes BBC & Channel 4 broadcast programs with AAC 5.1. It would then come through the amp as AC3 5.1 not PCM 2.0. But thanks for testing and publishing your results.
    It would be interesting to see what the box does with AAC 5.1 (you might need PCM multichannel enabled). I was surprised at the difference in handling between hdmi and optical but more that AAC to AC3 didn't happen (especially when -> DTS does)
    As far as I could tell, OpenPli was just PCM. (I did try that image)
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12