Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External Hard Drive v USB Memory Stick

Title
    Thanks

External Hard Drive v USB Memory Stick

I have a Formuler 1 box which I have added an external HDD which now only works intermittently. I initially thought there was something wrong with HDD and got a new one but still had problems. I then read a post on here which suggested that external HDDs should be externally powered which I guess is my problem.

I mainly use the HDD for scheduled backups and flashing with only the very occasional programme recording. So could I replace the HDD with a memory stick and would that solve my problems? And if so, what would be the maximum size to use?
    Xtrend ET8500 x 3 tuners Openvix 1TB hard drive VIXBMC_1080_Confluence
    Another ET8500 x 4 tuners 1TB VIXBMC_1080_Confluence
    Octagon SF128 OpenATV now changed to a Formuler 1 running VIX (yet to customise)
    tele'mote app

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Is the External HDD a powered one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    As yours is not powered, that is the most likely cause of your issue. In boxes where no Internal HDD are possible, I always use a high capacity usb flash drive. I currently have a 128GB Kingston flash drive in my Vu+ Zero 4K and works well. I think they even do a 256GB flash drive too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

techygirl (17-07-18)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    256 GB is affordable in china prices.Even 512 GB is on marked now but mayor prices.
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techygirl View Post
    I have a Formuler 1 box which I have added an external HDD which now only works intermittently. I initially thought there was something wrong with HDD and got a new one but still had problems. I then read a post on here which suggested that external HDDs should be externally powered which I guess is my problem.
    If it's designed as an external HDD then I'd expect it to work. However, if you think it's a power issue then try running it through a powered USB hub?
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks all, I take it that a USB flash drive works just the same and I can do scheduled backups and flash updates via Image Manager. I will just get a large one. This appears to be the easy option.

Birdman my latest HDD is one of these (see picture). When you say about running it through a powered USB hub, do you mean one of those to the right in the attached picture which plugs into the mains? If so then how do I connect it to my F1 box?
    HDD Hub1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by techygirl; 17-07-18 at 18:42. Reason: Rotate picture
    Octagon SF128 OpenATV now changed to a Formuler 1 running VIX (yet to customise)
    tele'mote app

Title
    Thanks
    Birdman my latest HDD is one of these (see picture).
    So it should work when plugged in to a USB port. I've never had any problems with such devices (although I've never used them on a PVR) except on a device whose USB port was documented as providing insufficient power to drive such a device, so I ran it through a powered hub (for >6 years...).

When you say about running it through a powered USB hub, do you mean one of those to the right in the attached picture which plugs into the mains? If so then how do I connect it to my F1 box?
    You connect the HDD to the (powered) USB hub then connect the hub to the box. i.e. what you'd expect to do...
    Last edited by birdman; 17-07-18 at 18:49.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

9. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

techygirl (17-07-18)

Title
    Thanks
    I am not normally this thick but ...... I thought that the USB hub pictured was only one way, ie power comes from the mains then it charges anything connected to it by USB.
    tele'mote app

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    A usb hub can be used as a charger, but a usb charger cannot be used as a hub, so it depends what you've got.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

techygirl (17-07-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Oh right. I am guessing then that this is a USB charger then and not a hub.

USB Hub.jpg
    tele'mote app

Title
    Thanks
    Looks like it's just a charger.

The Formuler F1 has a USB2 port (which appears to be specifically labelled that it has a 500mA max output, which may be the issue - although that's what the USB2 spec says, many ports will supply more than that and an external USB drive often needs ~800).
    If you're not using the second rear USB port you could also try using a Y USB cable, which will draw power from both ports.

I probably have an unused one lying around.... [EDIT - I do, but it ends in a mini-USB plug..]
    Last edited by birdman; 17-07-18 at 20:54.

Title
    Thanks
    Right, think I understand. Both USB ports are marked 500mA max so by putting in a Y USB cable it would draw 2 x 500mA so I would plug in the HDD into the other end of the Y cable and it should hopefully have enough power.

Formuler 1.jpg
    tele'mote app

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    yes ,I use this all the time for external HDD's.Even if they do not need that power.
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E

Title
    Thanks
    Right, think I understand. Both USB ports are marked 500mA max so by putting in a Y USB cable it would draw 2 x 500mA so I would plug in the HDD into the other end of the Y cable and it should hopefully have enough power.
    Yes.
    So the issue is what size of socket to you have on the HDD?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Yes.
    So the issue is what size of socket to you have on the HDD?
    Its just the ordinary mini usb. I take it that it is better to get a y cable that fits directly into the HDD rather than use a generic y cable (2 male, 1 female USB) and plug in the HDD cable.
    tele'mote app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast