Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Yet another recommend a new box

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Yet another recommend a new box

Currently got a Vu+ Duo which is slowly failing, connected to a Zone 1 dish on 28.2 quad LNB connected to tuner A and a motorized dish to tuner B. The quad LNB has a secondary cable which i use infrequently for testing purposes and is mainly disconnected.

Looking at VU+ Uno 4K SE 1x DVB-S2 FBC Twin Tuner Linux Enigma 2 PVR Receiver UHD 2160p

Prefer to have Internal HD rather than an external USB drive.

Currently don't have any 4K TV but may in future.

Biggest problem i have is wife watching one channel and recording another and i want to watch something via tablet on another channel (which maybe on motorised dish) but have no tuners available.

Any recommendations, is it worth changing the LNB on Zone 1 dish to Unicable, recommended way to connect both dishes.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    To fully optimise the FBC tuner, you are best getting a Unicable LNB. WoS sell them now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    From what you've posted I'd go with a Gigablue UHD Quad 4K or the Ultra UE 4K. Reasons below:

1) Both the above have twin embedded FBC satellite tuner. Change your LNB on Sky Dish to Unicable and you'll get full use of the FBC tuners.
    2) Add an extra plug and play satellite tuner for the Motorised dish.

Doing the above you'll get full use out of both dishes and FBC tuners.

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/GiGaBlue
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice so far, Unicable is a new world to me, so is this the correct LNB

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...e-II-24scr-lnb

This as only one connection, so i just have one cable running from the Zone 1 dish to Tuner A on the receiver.

The motorised dish would then go to the extra plug and play tuner (C)

So what happens to Tuner B ? Is that where this would come into play

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...cable-splitter

To split the cable from the Unicable LNB into two for Tuner A and Tuner B

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Use Tuner B for your Motorised dish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redrobin View Post
    Thanks for the advice so far, Unicable is a new world to me, so is this the correct LNB

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...e-II-24scr-lnb

This as only one connection, so i just have one cable running from the Zone 1 dish to Tuner A on the receiver.

The motorised dish would then go to the extra plug and play tuner (C)

So what happens to Tuner B ? Is that where this would come into play

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...cable-splitter

To split the cable from the Unicable LNB into two for Tuner A and Tuner B
    This depends what receiver you decide to purchase.

With the Gigablue set BOTH A & B tuner to Unicable. Order with a 3rd satellite tuner, single or twin. Then set Tuner C or C & D to Motorised.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks to World of Satellite who provided excellent service and speedy delivery, i now own a Gigablue Ultra UE 4K along with a GT-Sat GT-dLNB1DY Unicable LNB and GT-Sat GT-SP21 2 Way Satellite Splitter. I've not had much time since getting it but it's all plugged in and as a test, i've had it recording 2 channels whilst watching another on the TV and then another on my Fire Tablet via Dreamplayer.

The only problem i've had is the LNB adaptor i bought separately to attach the Unicable LNB to the Zone 1 dish didn't fit, luckily i had another Zone 1 dish in my garage and it fitted that, so i had to replace the dish on the wall. This new dish needs to be aligned correctly, i was lucky it that my line of site installation managed to give me a signal although only at 68% SNR and 7% AGR. As far as I'm aware you need a 'Pro' satellite meter to fine tune the dish. Hopefully at the weekend, i get my wife to watch the signal finder screen whilst i'm up the ladder luckily the dish is near enough to the receiver.

For new dish installs it might be worth spending the extra to get a Unicable LNB with Legacy Outputs to aim alignment with a meter.

Anyone got any recommendations as to TPs to use when aligning the dish to 28.2E ?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    You can adjust your dish using signal finder.

Apps like dreamdroid also have this if you dont want to rely on someone giving feedback.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Anyone got any recommendations as to TPs to use when aligning the dish to 28.2E ?
    To be honest, in the UK the 28.2E signal should be so strong any transponder should do, but I always pick BBC1 HD as (for me) thats one of the difficult satellites.
    I would adjust the vertical to get the strongest signal, and then (with the bolts just loose enough) finger tap the dish to get the best horizonal....... you might then try adjusting the LNB skew (carefully by sloooooowly rotating it!)
    I always use an app on my Ipad or Laptop to adjust my dishes.... there is at least one that speaks the dB as you work which can be very useful if you are not able to see a screen.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I used the satellite finder on Dreamdroid last night and now getting high 90s on SNR and all channels seems to be be fine, but the AGC is still only 8%, is that because its a unicable LNB. The cable run is only about 3 to 4m to the splitter and then about another meter to the box.

Maybe its reporting it wrong, and is actually 10 times higher.
    Gigablue Ultra UE 4K - GT-Sat GT-dLNB1DY Unicable LNB

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    I used the satellite finder on Dreamdroid last night and now getting high 90s on SNR and all channels seems to be be fine, but the AGC is still only 8%, is that because its a unicable LNB. The cable run is only about 3 to 4m to the splitter and then about another meter to the box.

Maybe its reporting it wrong, and is actually 10 times higher.
    SNR is the only value you should be looking at and even that is not comparable between different receivers ..... sounds like you have sorted it to me.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K