Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satellite PVR choice help

Title
    Thanks

Question Satellite PVR choice help

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a PVR for my home and am looking for some advice on which to opt for. This will be a device we intend to have for a long period of time - I don't tend to refresh often - mostly only due to faults and failures.

I'm looking to spend no more than £220 (price of the Mutant HD51 with both S2X tuners + 500GB HDD).

As I've very little knowledge of these PVRs:

1. Are S2X tuners a wise purchase at this stage? Or would a combination of S2 & S2X tuners be acceptable?
    2. Are there any other creditable alternatives to the Mutant in its price bracket?
    3. What is the best image to get - OpenATV or OpenVix? (Is there any change in preferred image dependent on the box selected?
    4. Any recommended HDD's for the Mutant (or alternatives) that are cheaper than the supplier option?
    5. What is difference between FBC, S2 and S2X tuners?

I have presumed that as I intend to run this device for a long period of time, that it would not be wise to look at non 4K tuners - even though 4K content is quite limited at the minute and I have a 4K TV.

I should state that I have no real preference for the Mutant - other than it seems to be a highly regarded box.

Thanks.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    My thoughts!
    1. if you live in UK and only want to pick up 28.2E, then apart from an improved sensitivity, I wouldn‘t purchase a s2x tuner. ( I have both on my HD51 ....and living in a poor recption area for 28.2E the s2x does give me a slight benefit)
    3. Images are like TV picture setup. - very much down to the viewer!
    I still feel that the OpenViX image is best for a beginner and is the most „complete“ image in terms of packages.
    OpenATV is still at times confusing in its useability - when you want to access a package or setup feature there is often more than one way of getting there (or not!) - and its more aligned (in my view) to German/European users.
    .. and then also there is OpenPLi which is a simple, straight forward image, but you may have to install additional plugins to get what you want.
    4. HDD‘s - probably but with HDD‘s you get what you pay for.
    2 + 5. If you want a long term receiver, then I would look at a receiver with FBC tuners - just gives you more flexibility in that you have the choice of upto 8 „virtual“ tuners for watching/recording.
    Both dvb/s2 and fbc tuners do a great job, it depends on your dish/lnb setup and how flexible your pvr demands may be.
    But with the fbc tuners, there is a cost eg Giga uhd ue is about 200 pounds plus hdd cost.

Bottom line the hd51 is an excellent receiver, but think through the tuner/pvr requirements.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Xiaomi (02-06-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Apart from 28.2E, I'll also be picking up 9E which I'm on the edge of the footprint. Usually the signal obtained is good though - tendency to drop though in bad weather, but getting a bigger dish in now.

The PVR demands will be quite light I suspect - going by current usage. I'm more concerned about lag between channel changes between transponders and satellites - which is a pain on the current setup I have (using internal tuner of LG TV with both satellites fed in via a diseqc).
    I presume that if it becomes a problem I can switch out the installed tuner of a FBC tuner at a later date? Would the FBC tuner require a particular type of HDD to function correctly?

I'm not sure about the front screens on some boxes - seems like a gimmick or a distraction - all I need to see is the channel name/number.

If I could get a fast 4K twin tuner with PVR around the £200 range I think that is currently all I require - any suggestions which fit this spec? I'm trying to get carried away with the spec and purchase what I don't need or would be useful in near future. Anything would be a massive improvement on my current setup.

Title
    Thanks
    The choice of HDD is not connected in any way to the tuner type.
    Not sure about the Vu+ receivers with FBC, they may be plugable but the 1st slot on the Giga4K‘s is fixed, but if your recording is going to be lightish then the HD51 may be the best solution, but it is limited to the 2 tuner slots, so probably want to run 2 cables from each sat lnb (28.2/9E) and use a diseqc switch so that each tuner can access both.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Xiaomi (02-06-18)

Title
    Thanks
    I already intend to feed to cables via a multiswitch to the pvr.

So the mutant box is the best option? No alternatives?

Thanks for the continued replies.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    4. HDD‘s - probably but with HDD‘s you get what you pay for..
    You don't need high performance hard disks for a PVR. Lower spin speeds reduce noise and lower access times etc. (read/write speeds) reduce power and keep your box running cooler. Hard disks previously being sold as "green" will do although the modern offerings from many manufacturers are less power hungry than the "green disks" of a few years ago.

I would recommend going for 1Tb, or possibly larger.

When considering some boxes be aware that they may only take a 2.5" disk internally and not a 3.5" disk. Also be aware that going from a 2TB to a 3 or 4TB disk may double the height of the disk from some manufacturers and in a box with limited space it may not fit.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiaomi View Post
    I already intend to feed to cables via a multiswitch to the pvr.

So the mutant box is the best option? No alternatives?

Thanks for the continued replies.
    The Mut@nt HD51 is a good solid receiver, that has had regular updates, it is the best? Cannot answer that one, but for me has been a very solid workhorse.
    Negative, remote is not wonderful but you get used to it.
    Positive (I think), it that it supports multiboot using the built in emmc - so that you can have upto 4 images flashed onto the emmc and reboot between them.... certainly if you are trying to find your „best“ image an asset, as you can keep images from ViX, OpenPli and OpenATV (amongst others) on the receiver and try them knowing that everything else is the same, so comparing Apples with Apples!
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Hello,

I've been looking at the mutant HD51 and I've noticed that the advert now describes "LATEST NEW STYLE REMOTE CONTROL INCLUDED".

What is this new one and does it remove all the issues with the previous remote controls?

Also, I've been looking into this device and the SF4008 Octagon. I notice that the HD51 does not have a power switch to the rear of the unit and some people have been putting on an inline switch instead.

Leaning towards the HD51 for no particular reason. Both are running the same processor, so I expect both have the same performance. The SF4008 is £10GBP more expensive than the HD51.

How does a twin tuner work? Can it take in two separate satellite feeds and record/view any combination of the satellites?

I'm taking in what you said about switching out S2X tuners for FBC. The only one I can see in my price range is the GigaBlue UHD UE 4K at £249 with a HDD. I could opt for a HD51 with a mix of tuners for £199. Or the SF 4008 with twin S2X.
    Which is the best option?

THakns.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    I would get the Mut@nt HD51 personally. An excellent receiver, and a no brainer at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

Xiaomi (19-06-18)

Title
    Thanks
    With which tuner setup - S2/S2X or S2X/S2X?

Why should I not get FBC tuners as suggested by twol?
    Last edited by Xiaomi; 19-06-18 at 15:09.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiaomi View Post
    With which tuner setup - S2/S2X or S2X/S2X?

Why should I not get FBC tuners as suggested by twol?
    the suggestion of S2/S2x/FBC purely depend on your needs and what you want to do with the receiver .. based on that the decision is yours - both S2 or FBC tuners (or a combination of both) can be a winner depending on your requirements.
    I happen to use both ... HD51 has a mix (S2/S2x - and is used as a workhorse/test receiver)) and the Giga4K FBC (lounge and also for streaming to other receivers, therefore needs more than 2 tuners) but each meets a specific requirement
    Last edited by abu baniaz; 20-06-18 at 16:36. Reason: remove acronym
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

15. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Xiaomi (19-06-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Okay - so the Mutant can only perform multiple recordings if they are on the same transponder - therefore, max 2 recordings simultaneously. Whereas the Giga which has 8 tuners can record multiples more because it can handle up to 8 transponders due to 8 tuners, correct?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    You would need a Unicable II LNB to fully utilise the FBC tuners. No good with a conventional LNB, even though it will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Bear in mind that some boxes have S2X capable hardware but the drivers may not support this. Octagon SF4008 and Mutant HD51 are both good boxes with S2X driver support. I've got the Octagon with 3 tuners. Works well for me. Blindscan expected soon (according to Octagon PR).

Re FBC, if you are going to connect to a conventional satellite aerial system with DiSEqC switches or a multiswitch there is no advantage in having an FBC tuner. To get full benefit of FBC for multisat you will have to dump the conventional switches and use a custom programmed Unicable II lnbs on each position.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Bear in mind that some boxes have S2X capable hardware but the drivers may not support this. Octagon SF4008 and Mutant HD51 are both good boxes with S2X driver support. I've got the Octagon with 3 tuners. Works well for me. Blindscan expected soon (according to Octagon PR).

Re FBC, if you are going to connect to a conventional satellite aerial system with DiSEqC switches or a multiswitch there is no advantage in having an FBC tuner. To get full benefit of FBC for multisat you will have to dump the conventional switches and use a custom programmed Unicable II lnbs on each position.
    ... or if you happen to have a Quattro or quad lnb, a unicable capable multiswitch (if quad you have to be careful in selecting the multiswitch)
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast