Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Possble Damage

Title
    Thanks

Possble Damage

Hi there all!
    Had just got everything up and running with this box when it stopped working after a lightning storm passed. The light on the front lights up but it doesn't boot and no signal from hdmi. Think it may have been fried by the lightning? Just wanted to ask, i assume this is not covered by warranty? Is there any point trying to repair it, who could even repair it if possible? Would i send it back to Tiviar?
    Bad luck for me i guess!
    Thanks for any help in advance,
    John.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Your house insurance may cover the damage but usually the excess charge would make this unfeasible - its depends on the policy.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I try to keep things safe by using these on all my setups as i dont take chances.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XMu4VttPcw

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah a warning to anyone, lightning hit my dish, fried that, travelled down coax into two seperate rooms, fried two tiviar boxes, traveled up hdmi cables and fried both tvs! Expensive day!

Not sure what my insurance will cover. I presume repairing boxes even if possible would be more expensive than replacing? I'm definitely buying two coax surge protectors, thanks for the recommendation.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Don't be fooled no surge protector is going to prevent damage caused by lightning, if you or your possesions suffer a lightning strike you are going to get mega damage. A good insurance policy will be more beneficial.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The monster ones say they do protect from lightning strikes,anything hit by lightning i would imagine is not fixable?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Just ring the insurance company - as they are paying they will tell you how to proceed. Usually its replacement especially with lightning damage.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.