Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Intermittent WIFI connectivity on DUO2

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes

Thread: Intermittent WIFI connectivity on DUO2

Title
    Thanks

Intermittent WIFI connectivity on DUO2

Hi all,

I have been experiencing some odd behaviour with WIFI connectivity on my DUO2. This has been going on for awhile, but I cant be sure when it actually started, but I am sure it started with the 5.1.x series of Enigma2.

The issue is that the connectivity to the DUO2 over WIFI stops working. I can't ssh or ftp into the box at all. Openwebif sessions fail and lastly pings also fail.
    Initially the WIFI was setup to get a reserved IP from the DHCP server on my ASUS 4G-AC68U modem/router. Logging onto the modem I still couldn't ping the DUO2, yet the DHCP server indicated the lease for the DUO2 was still active. If I go to the Information/Network on the DUO2 it shows the correct IP, the WIFI SID and the link status is green, yet I still can't connect to it.

If I persist trying to ping to the DUO2, after 3-4 minutes the network interface on the DUO2 starts to respond but the ping times being returned are in the 8000 range, but as more ping attempts are done it settles down in the 100ms range.

It is almost as if the WIFI module is in sleep mode or something, but I can't find any options in Enigma2 to configure this if indeed this is the issue. On rarer occasions when the WIFI connections refuses to reply a reboot of the unit seems to fix it, for 30min or so, and then it starts again.

To eliminate it being a DHCP issue, I now manually assign an IP to the DUO2, however I am still experiencing this issue. The only thing I have not tried is using the LAN port on the DUO2, so I'll give that a shot and see what happens and report back.

So, have the WIFI modules for the DUO2 build been updated at all, and has anyone else experienced this?

Regards,

Craig

Title
    Thanks
    Just an update on this. I found a config issue on the modem/router the DUO2 uses. I've made some changes and I'll wait to see if it improves things. If any devs were going to look into this, please hang off whilst I do some more testing. I don't want to waste your time if it ends up being an end user error.

Craig

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bsod For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (23-05-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Ok,

there does appear to be some issue with DHCP assigned IPs on the DUO2 WIFI. Symptom is after approx 30min of idle network, WIFI connection seems to become unresponsive (Live and in Standby) despite the Information->Network screen showing the link is active. Pinging the DUO2 from either the router or PC will eventually "wake up" the DUO2 WIFI connection. I have not yet tested this to see if the same behaviour occurs on the LAN port of the DUO2. Statically assigning an IP to the WIFI on the DUO2 works as expected, so it could be lease related. Default lease time on the routers DHCP server is 24hrs. Fairly sure the lease was not expired, but will check again when it happens again.

Craig

Title
    Thanks
    Just another update for those interested. Have run the DUO2 for a few days now with a static IP and no issues. ASUS just released a firmware update for my 4G modem/router which I have applied and have now gone back to using a DHCP reservation for the DUO2's wifi network adaptor. I will see if the network issues I experienced before re-occur, the firmware notes mentioned some changes to the DHCP / DNS code the unit uses.

Craig

Title
    Thanks
    Ok, here's an update and my observations

Updated firmware on ASUS 4G-AC68U modem/router.
    Connected DUO2 to 2.4Ghz WIFI band using a DHCP reservation to assign a fixed IP. After 30min or so if idle network on the DUO2
    - pings to the DUO2 would fail from both the PC and the modem/router
    - checking network status on the unit reported the network was up (green circle).
    - Checking the modem for DHCP leases showed the DUO2 lease was still alive, 20+ hrs left before it expires.
    - after doing approx 40 pings to the DUO2 it would start to respond, albeit with large latencies, in the 2000 range.
    - Latency would gradually drop to more expected values, sub 100ms.

Using a static IP on the WIFI interface did help, but the issue still occurs, but nowhere near as much.
    Using a either a statically assigned IP or a DHCP reservation IP from the 4G-AC68U has worked fine, no signs of network loss.

I'll test a few more days using the WAN port on the DUO2, but it is beginning to look like an issue on the WIFI side with respect to DHCP leases, perhaps a WIFI driver issue or something.

One other thing I noticed, E2 does not seem to handle two network interfaces well. At one point I had both the WIFI and LAN ports active but the Information->Network screen only showed the WLAN details, though it did show the two IPs configured, but under the WLAN connection. I suspect the underlying code was designed for a single NIC interface, and to be honest running two is probably silly, it was just something I noticed so I thought I would mention it.

Craig

Title
    Thanks
    Last update unless someone wants some additional tests done. I have updated to 5.1.028 and the DHCP wireless issue still exists. Not sure how many people this impacts, I'm guessing very few given no one else has reported it. Fully understand if no time is spent on this, I am sure there are more pressing issues for the devs to work on.

Craig

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I'm getting something similar on my Vu Duo 4K SE. For my network I normally get 7-11MB/sec from the Vu box but for some reason I now sometimes get this rate and sometimes get rates of a few hundred k instead. It seems particularly enamoured of a speed of 355KB/sec, for some reason. Sometimes I can get it to go back to normal behaviour by restarting the WLAN network. Other times this has no effect.

For information, the context is carrying out file transfers between the Vu and a Windows PC. For my (somewhat complicated) network I have consistently managed to get 7-11MB/sec doing this for years. I recently switched from a wired LAN connection to a WLAN connection and am now getting these massive variations in speed - sometimes same as before (ie. as with the wired connection) and sometimes these much lower speeds. I have not yet tried static IP - should this be my next step?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dan

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Is the box near the TV and is the TV switched on when it gets slow (and off when it doesn't)?
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    There is a very useful app for windows called wifianalyzer which will show you wifi signal strengths and interference in your area. I was having a great deal of trouble with wifi and connection to my router on my pc. I could visually see the dBm strengths of various signals interfering with mine, I changed my wifi channel number and I have not had any problems since.fingers crossed.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    check if no other users on your wifi network.Speed on wifi is as fast as the slowest user
    VU+ DUO2 quad tuner with HDD 1 TB + Latest Openvix and VU+ DUO2 FB tuner + Octagon SF8008 FB tuner
    Triax 88 cm rotor single LNB 30 E- 40 W
    1 Gibertini 1.00 m fixed - 3 quad LNB 19E-23.5E-28.2E