Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Goobay Multiswitches

Title
    Thanks

Goobay Multiswitches

Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a multiswitch and was interested in the Goobay MS 908PQ-N (
    Code:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wentronic-67266-GB-MultiSwitch-Inputs-Outputs/dp/B004CU6PLW
    ).

Spec:
    Code:
    https://www.wentronic.de/media/pdf/67266_Bedienungsanleitung-Manual57fca6999387c.pdf
    Does anyone have any knowledge of these items? I've not heard of them before and the price looks quite keen.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Sicilian; 08-05-18 at 05:40. Reason: removed live links

Title
    Thanks
    hi again, was looking to purchase today. Does anyone on here know about these Goobay multiswitches or should I opt for a more expensive EMP-Centauri model?

Title
    Thanks
    If you want a switch that will last and wont give you any bother you want to be looking at the likes of Vision, Triax, Spaun or Fracarro ones. Even second hand ones would be a better idea than buying a new Goobay one

Goobay switches are cheap chinese crap that are a waste of money, they have high insertion loss and they suffer from LNB noise bleeding through on the UHF spectrum. The EMP switches are better but not ones i would go for even for myself.

Both models are cheap for a reason.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sundancer For This Useful Post:

Xiaomi (10-05-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi thanks for the reply good to know that information. It has been really difficult to get detailed information on these switches. I've been asking about the tech spec of these switches and I was being put off by the origin of the Goobay. I had taken the opinion that there are switches that are built for apartments/offices/etc and then there is a different market which is the domestic home market - and using that assumption I was opting for the EMP as it got decent reviews from domestic users.

Unfortunately, I've got a budget of £110GBP max and a close timeframe in which to purchase. Hence why I was replying to my own thread trying to generate some interest.
    I was intending to opt for the EMP as it has a 4 year warranty.

I presume the EMP will 'do my job'? I have 'chatted' online with others who have a similar setup and it seems fine for them. There are always going to be isolated duds, but
    they get a good review here (amongst other places) XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

However, I appreciate that they are not in the same ball park as the offerings that you mention.
    I took a quick look in ebay for the brands you mention and I could not see any 9/8 Quattro/Quad multiswitches from those manufacturers.
    Last edited by Sicilian; 11-05-18 at 05:40. Reason: removed link

Title
    Thanks
    I've only ever used EMP DISEqC switches which were ok, but a bit hit and miss with some receivers.

As i said, you get what you pay for these days. My own personnal preference, I would use a switch that uses a quattro lnb rather than one that uses a quad, it just takes one more thing out that can go wrong out of the loop.

Providing the building is not to big you should get away with the EMP switch, just rememeber the bigger the dish the better. The better signal put into the switch the less problems you will have.

As for the 4 year guarantee, i would take that with a pinch of salt.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sundancer For This Useful Post:

Xiaomi (12-05-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply sundancer.

I'm connecting to Freesat and Saorsat (KA-SAT @ 9E, 20.185 GHz, Left Circular Polarisation, DVB-S2 QPSK, SR 25000 with 2/3 FEC) which is only has quad LNBs. It is for a domestic installation covering five rooms and will be a 1m dish.
    It comes with an EU plug - I presume you would not like this either? I might end up converting it to UK plug.

Also a general question - as I see you are also UK based. We have a full length cupboard which is doubling as a Comms Room - it will have the consumer unit, LAN router, internet hub, the multiswitch and a SkyQ box (for a single room). Is there anything needed (or recommended) when having a number of permanently powered devices in such a space?

Title
    Thanks
    Unless you are right on the welsh/north west coast with a large dish 1.5m+ you are not going to get Saorsat. Any further out from the coast and you are going to hit issues from frequency reuse from another Ka band spot beam, any dish smaller than 1.5m and i doubt you will get a signal either

I also doubt that the switch would work with circular polarity either.

It comes with an EU plug - I presume you would not like this either?
    No i would use a converter plug, and scarcasm wont get you any further help. What you are planning to do is nigh on impossible without a large dish and being in the right location.

I would suggest you find a satellite company that can do this install for you with qood quality equipment. If you use cheap crap it will come back and bite you, that i do know from experience.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sundancer View Post
    Unless you are right on the welsh/north west coast with a large dish 1.5m+ you are not going to get Saorsat. Any further out from the coast and you are going to hit issues from frequency reuse from another Ka band spot beam, any dish smaller than 1.5m and i doubt you will get a signal either

I also doubt that the switch would work with circular polarity either.

No i would use a converter plug, and scarcasm wont get you any further help. What you are planning to do is nigh on impossible without a large dish and being in the right location.

I would suggest you find a satellite company that can do this install for you with qood quality equipment. If you use cheap crap it will come back and bite you, that i do know from experience.
    Genuinely wasn't sarcasm! I have a dislike for using adapters and from reading your replies so far, I expected you to have a similar viewpoint.
    I'm in Northern Ireland and am currently getting the signal on 0.8m dish, but upgrading due to weather interference.

I have spoken with their tech dept and it does work with the Saorsat signal and polarity.