Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Accessibility in linux receivers

Title
    Thanks

Accessibility in linux receivers

Hello, I have a totally blind friend very involved in satellite TV (and computer in general). He uses Windows and MacOS from many years (most recently iOS and TVOS, too) thanks to specific screenreaders available for most platforms (JAWS and NVDA in Windows, VoiceOver in MacOS and portable Apple devices). But what about enigma2? He uses standard non-linux satellite receivers from years, but linux is a different story (and a big issue for him). The problem is complex and variable onscreen receiver menus, very difficult to use without viewing TV screen. Connecting the box to computer is not an issue for my friend, so he can FTP files, viewing receiver folder, read/write/edit settings.... all this using common Windows PC. But, for example, once a plugin is transfered to /tmp folder, it becomes very difficult for him to use remote control to install it in the receiver. As I know, a linux-based screenreader called ORCA is available, but we absolutely do not know if it could be installed on any enigma2 platform. Please note that I and my friend have very poor linux knowledge. My friend's goal would be having a "voice guide" in his linux satellite receiver, like Apple Voiceover or similar (as I said, he uses flawlessly AppleTV and other Apple devices). Please note that some new Sony and LG television set includes such accessible user interface. Sony developed a proprietary one, LG uses WebOS. Do you think it could be possible make evaluation for VIX team? We just contacted other enigma2 developing teams in the past, but unfortunately we received no reply, or polite but unuseful replies.... bad luck. Any possible suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    search for "DareDevil enigma2" it was a project several years ago. You might have to use google translate because quite a bit will be in German.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (04-05-18),Clemente (04-05-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi, thank you for suggestion. I do not know this project, now I make search then I will post feedback here.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi, just read carefully that thread using google translator. Well, it's very interesting, but it's too old I'm afraid (between 2011 and 2012), and it was developed only for dreambox. Also, I suspect it was a non-finished job. At the end of that long thread, oozoon board is mentioned but I did not find nothing there. It seems that plugin was made just for reading banners during normal channel zapping and something in EPG, but not receiver menus, settings, blue panel and so on. Anyway, nice to know someone began to consider this topic. My question is: do you think this topic could have new development? Could VIX team be interesting in it? Thank you very much for your help.