Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Empty buttons (no text) in timer and sanity error views

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Attachments
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Empty buttons (no text) in timer and sanity error views

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Are you suggesting that our enigma has to remain identical to all other distros so things are easier for skinners?
    Only just noticed this.
    I smiled at the irony.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Due to the shambolic mess this button code change has caused and 3 months on there is still no universal solution. I no longer will be supporting openvix for any of my skins in the immediate future. You can't just randomly change 10 years of legacy code to suit yourselves.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddac View Post
    Due to the shambolic mess this button code change has caused and 3 months on there is still no universal solution. I no longer will be supporting openvix for any of my skins in the immediate future. You can't just randomly change 10 years of legacy code to suit yourselves.
    I understand what you're saying although you are mistaken.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,953 Times in 3,274 Posts
    Still goes back to the same question. If one team use Button() somewhere in their enigma and another team use StaticText(), who is right?

What it looks like is that you want all teams enigma code to not evolve because it might break someone's skin. And the truth is the skin wouldn't be broken if it used the new button bar code.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Who is right? The person who wrote the component in the first place. Who used button(). Therefore every skinner used button().
    Who is wrong. The team that decided to change these buttons to statictext, for their own strange reasons????
    I have read the huge thread on openpli where this was all initially discussed. Over and over again it mentions you can't break legacy code. So you just went ahead anyway and broke legacy code timers for everyone skin except a handful of vix skins.

https://forums.openpli.org/topic/569...l-pli-opinion/

Should we quote your opening paragraph from that thread.

People seem to use these interchangeably and it is a skinner's nightmare
    what you have done is now a skinners nightmare. Nobody complained before because it wasn't a problem.

And your alternative solution was to add in an objectypes component that doesn't exist in the first place. So what was the point of that.

Maybe you should just put your hands up and admit you ballsed this up by changing code that wasn't ready to be changed. Change it back to how it was and wait for every other oe-alliance team to implement the changes before commiting to something.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote post 44 from Huevos

Why would you want to rename something and break everyone's skins?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    For those who want to read the whole post, not a snip, and don't want to trawl thru' the thread....

https://forums.openpli.org/topic/569...dpost&p=829613

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    kiddac the objecttypes attribute in skin.py has nothing to do with why your skin is not working properly (in one or two screens) in OpenViX. If you use "source" and render="label" your skin will work fine.

Read post #30 again.

If you don't want to support your users that use OpenViX that's up to you, but stop trying to blame other people.
    Last edited by Huevos; 28-05-18 at 16:08.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I've quickly scanned through this and I'm obviously missing something here!

What I have got so far....

Vix have moved onto StaticText rather than Button.

Apparently, OpenPli and OpenBH have also adopted this too.

Kiddac naturally doesn't want to have a separate skin for vix for which I don't blame him. I doubt many other skin designers would want to go through that trouble and if I did a skin, I would be supporting the majority rather than minority as just easier.

@Kiddac, do your skins have an issue on OpenPLi and OpenBH as they have also adopted this new way as just wondering why PLi and OpenBH don't have this issue?

Or is it because the other image teams that do support new way also support legacy way (for the many, many skins still out there) and Vix doesn't?

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbbuk View Post
    Vix have moved onto StaticText rather than Button.
    No, ViX uses StaticText() in a few screens that OpenATV don't is the only difference.

But for some reason kiddac wants to blame the new skin attribute "objecttypes" for the problem even though it is not related.

The code is completely backwards compatible. But just the same as before these changes were made a skinner needed to track every screen for changes. Skins that use the new code don't have to track every screen because everything happens automatically.

And by the way PLi have changed from Button() to StaticText() in a lot more screens than ViX has. But at the end of the day it is up to each team how they manage their own enigma2 code, just the same as it is up to every skinner if they want to maintain their skins for all their users, or just some that use one particular image.
    Last edited by Huevos; 28-05-18 at 16:32.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Maybe @KiddaC can put his Skins on Github then maybe users can make pull request to try and help? This way both teams/skinners can see the code and how it works. Because I don't have a clue lol

Title
    Thanks
    Grrrrr. My skin wont work fine. How are you not getting this Heuvos. It may work fine on openvix, but it won't work fine on openatv or any other oe-alliance build that hasn't implemented these stupid changes.

For example. TimerEdit.py.
    Screen "TimerEditList".
    Histroically has always been.

self["key_red"] = Button(" ")
    self["key_green"] = Button(_("Add"))
    self["key_yellow"] = Button(" ")
    self["key_blue"] = Button(" ")

Therefore you use something like this
    <widget name="key_red" position="45,0" size="237,38" font="Regular;30" valign="center" transparent="1" noWrap="1" foregroundColor="white" backgroundColor="button-bg" halign="left" />

And get it displayed like this.

screen1.jpg

Now if I just change it to the source buttons, you get.

screen2.jpg

For the very reason you have been harping on about it in the other thread. The buttons are populated via settext. Which means source button code doesn't work for self["key_red"] = Button(" ").

So we get no buttons and we certainly don't get the text switch between enable/disable timers.
    Last edited by kiddac; 28-05-18 at 16:32.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    And that problem is because you not using source="label". It is nothing to do with the objecttypes attribute.

Title
    Thanks
    FFS my source button code is

<widget source="key_red" render="Label" position="45,0" size="237,38" font="Regular;30" valign="center" transparent="1" noWrap="1" foregroundColor="white" backgroundColor="button-bg" halign="left" />

You changing the code to

self["key_red"] = StaticText("")
    self["key_green"] = StaticText(_("Add"))
    self["key_yellow"] = StaticText("")
    self["key_blue"] = StaticText("")

has broken every skin accept vix skins. Simple as that.

Title
    Thanks
    At least littlesat had some common sense on that other thread. But like you are doing here. You refused to listen to him and just kept talking over him. You are refusing to listen to me.
    You just don't get the fact, you have broken everyones skins and you just dont care.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast