Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Read this Warning all ET-9000 Owners!

Title
    Thanks
    there isnt any solution for this hard problem , yet ?

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by killerbox View Post
    there isnt any solution for this hard problem , yet ?
    Yes ... do not take the battery out! tbh, how many people would take the battery out? Would you cross the road in front of a truck if you were told that doing so would kill you? No. So, why would you disconnect the battery? They've said that before the life of the battery is out (likely to be around 3 years minimum I would say), they will release a solution... So, wait until then. Don't mess around with it, and if there are genuinely any problems related to this without messing with the battery, we would've heard about it by now!
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pooface View Post
    They've said that before the life of the battery is out (likely to be around 3 years minimum I would say)
    It's the same sort of bios battery that a normal PC uses. I have seen them last as long as 10 years but also as little as a year. The idea of the battery is to allow the saving of the settings on devices e.g the bios settings on a PC. I is not mean't to actually store and maintain the bios. The batteries in those little holders are designed with easy replacement in mind - so when the battery dies you can simply replace it and reset your bios settings. Having it actually maintain the chip information (bios) is frankly ridiculous.

I must also admit if I had known this I would have gone down the Vu Duo route rather than the CT9000

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Mate the new trends have the battery glued in place with a hot melt glue gun so if yr stupid enough to physically scrape the glue off and remove he battery then you deserve the box to die on you

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

parkher
    So, I take it, the new bootloader with UBIFS does not help at all here?
    UBIFS does not keep indices in memory but rather on flash, but it is probably stupid to hope that those indices were kept by the battery previously..
    Those indices are probably when flash memory device is mounted.

I think we heard here that this time bomb is already exploding - someone suddenly was not able to boot at all, black screen.
    A faulty battery may last much shorter, or a (almost not) faulty circuit drawing more current, or a faulty contact may develop because of oxidation.

I am getting this box today, so not very pleasant thoughts.
    Last edited by parkher; 19-09-11 at 16:12.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts
    You can always send it back under the distant selling act and get a refund and buy a different box if you are really worried about future problems see link and the The cooling-off period and cancellations

plus you do get a manufactures 12 months warranty

Code:
    http://businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1073792574&type=RESOURCES
    Last edited by bassethound; 19-09-11 at 19:22.
    All PM,s asking about c/s on cable will be ignored and reported to forum staff!

parkher
    Anyway, I already got Clarke Tech ET-9000 an hour ago, flashed the UBIFS bootloader and then the latest VIX image.
    It is still working

So now I have both Vu+ Duo and ET-9000, updating my signature

Turns, out, I could have orderer either Xtrend or Clarke, both were available. As I did not specify this point, they brought Clarke to me.
    Clarke was cheaper. Who knows, perhaps Xtrend already has a new hardware revision, like without that battery?

I just hope it will be hopelessly out-of-date and thrown away before it is dead because of that stupid battery.
    I have no hope it will die before the warranty period ends.
    And I have not much hope Xtrent or Clarke will provide a "software solution".
    Last edited by parkher; 19-09-11 at 19:22.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts
    On the plus side the only people who have had problems with the battery so far are the ones who foolishly removed the battery
    All PM,s asking about c/s on cable will be ignored and reported to forum staff!

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    If you are that unhappy with the units design, why not simply return it in exchange for another unit?
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by basilyoung View Post
    If you are that unhappy with the units design, why not simply return it in exchange for another unit?
    im offering £250 to anyone who wants to sell it

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bassethound View Post
    You can always send it back under the distant selling act and get a refund and buy a different box if you are really worried about future problems see link and the The cooling-off period and cancellations

plus you do get a manufactures 12 months warranty

Code:
    http://businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1073792574&type=RESOURCES
    Acually under european law it's 24 month warranty (something retailers don't like the public knowing).

Title
    Thanks
    UK is not bound by that

by law in the UK its 12 months and any more is manufacturer or retailer discretion

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    I think his confusing it with reasonable life span, as you can still get repairs done depending on price and when it goes faulty after the 12 months.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    I have given this a little thought & have a couple of *possible* untested solutions.
    Both idea's would be needed to be undertaken by someone who has some knowledge on electronics so NOT to electrocute themselves, but tbh, if u dont know what your doing, you shouldn't be considering any of this anyway I have left out the obvious as this isnt a tutorial, just a theory.

First idea>
    It *might* be possible to change the cell if the unit is fully powered and in operation as the Bios should be at this point buffered into memory. After changing of the cell, the bufferd Bios *may* be then written back to the bios during the shutdown of the O/S

Second Idea>
    Assuming the button cell within the unit is 3v, an SMD Trimming Pot could be soldered between positive side of the cell & the bios IC. A second SMD Trimming Pot connected to two AA 1.5v cells could then be placed onto the Positive side of Bios IC.
    Using a multimetre to watch the voltage, u could reduce the first pots voltage whilst increasing the second pots voltage, thus transferring the necessary 3v to a temporary backup.
    Once the backup cells are in place, the old 3v button cell can be removed safely & exchanged for new. A reverse of the proceedure above is all that is needed to finish off the cell exchange and bring your new cell online.
    This maybe possible to do all from a single pot, but for explanational purposes i have chosen to use two pots.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by josweet View Post
    Using a multimetre to watch the voltage, u could reduce the first pots voltage whilst increasing the second pots voltage, thus transferring the necessary 3v to a temporary backup.
    That's not how electronics works.

Just put 3v parallel to the battery and replace the cell.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast