Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help dvb-c tuner started breaking up on all cable channels

Title
    Thanks

Help dvb-c tuner started breaking up on all cable channels

My Edision has been setup for over 6 months and working perfect with a Disqec motor for satellite and a cable feed. Recently for no reason the cable signal is constantly breaking up on all channels sometimes flashing up the tuner failed message. I'm trying to determine if this is software related or something has broken on the tuner itself.

One thing I have noticed is in the Signal finder menu the green lock tick is constantly flickering on and off and the SNR and AGC percentages will drop. This does not happen on the Satellite tuner.

I have cleared and updated the ABM, updated the openvix software, but I'm honestly not very well up on the Openvix software. Any help to would be great, I have a week on my warranty so if it is faulty I need to sort it out soon.

Thanks.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    My Edision has been setup for over 6 months and working perfect with a Disqec motor for satellite and a cable feed. Recently for no reason the cable signal is constantly breaking up on all channels sometimes flashing up the tuner failed message. I'm trying to determine if this is software related or something has broken on the tuner itself.

One thing I have noticed is in the Signal finder menu the green lock tick is constantly flickering on and off and the SNR and AGC percentages will drop. This does not happen on the Satellite tuner.

I have cleared and updated the ABM, updated the openvix software, but I'm honestly not very well up on the Openvix software. Any help to would be great, I have a week on my warranty so if it is faulty I need to sort it out soon.

Thanks.
    Other possibilities

Loose cable connector?

Have you introduced or moved any electronic equipment close to your box recently? If so you could be getting local electrical interference getting into the fly-lead if it isn't 100% screened. To test just turn of other equipment to see if the problem disappears.

Have you introduced any new splitters to your cable input? Every passive splitter reduces the signal.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    i tend to agree check all feeds connections as i had the same issue and it was a bad connection,signal finder is a great thing to see still when fixed.

Title
    Thanks
    I did get another cable box recently which is setup in the other room with a perfect signal. I used a new splitter to split the cables to include the new box. Since the problems started I have connected the new box to the same location with the same cable as my misbehaving box and the signal was fine. This should rule out the cable/electronic interference shouldn't it?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    are you using correct splitter?

Title
    Thanks
    I think its just a standard 4 way splitter. Like i said I've connected my new Technomate up to the same connection and everything works fine on that. Shouldn't that rule out the splitter/connection? I'm trying to think whether it was when I installed the new box when the trouble started. I've not had much time to watch my box for a while, its only the last few days I finally got the chance and its driving me crazy now. Spent all night messing with it. Not watched a thing

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I did get another cable box recently which is setup in the other room with a perfect signal. I used a new splitter to split the cables to include the new box. Since the problems started I have connected the new box to the same location with the same cable as my misbehaving box and the signal was fine. This should rule out the cable/electronic interference shouldn't it?

Not all tuner inputs have the same sensitivity, especially if the tuners are from different manufacturers. A signal that is maginal may work with one box and not on another.

Every time you passivly split the incomming signal you reduce its amplitude and the more times you split the lower the signal.

A good quality two way passive splitter has a typical insertion loss of 4.7dB (each output = approx 0.58 of the input voltage)
    A good quality three way passive splitter has a typical insertion loss of 7.0dB (each output = approx 0.45 of the input voltage)

If you box is at the end of multiple spitters or you have split the signal using a 3 or 4 way splitter the problem you are seeing is very probably too little signal. This can be tested by picking a program that is breaking up and putting back the original splitter arrangement.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Yeah putting back the original splitter was my next port of call. The thing is a couple of weeks ago I messed about with different settings and rebooted, it seemed to sort it, but when I've tried it recently its back to normal.

If it is the splitter is there a way of boosting the signal? The signal finder is fluctuating between 34.3dB and 41.8dB is that normal?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I think its just a standard 4 way splitter. Like i said I've connected my new Technomate up to the same connection and everything works fine on that. Shouldn't that rule out the splitter/connection? I'm trying to think whether it was when I installed the new box when the trouble started. I've not had much time to watch my box for a while, its only the last few days I finally got the chance and its driving me crazy now. Spent all night messing with it. Not watched a thing
    For info
    A good quality four way passive splitter has a typical insertion loss of 8.5dB (each output = approx 0.38 of the input voltage)

By replacing a 2 way splitter with a 4 way splliter you have reduced the signal level by around 35%

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    i still say bad connection but you have not said what splitter in use?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    By using a 3 way splitter rather than a 4 way splitter you should get back some of the signal which may help if the signal level is just marginal with a 4 way splitter.

Ebay seller selected at random
    Code:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/F-type-Screw-Connector-Splitter-for-Virgin-Cable-5-2450-MHz-3-Way-Bt04/1137760162?iid=261778665293

It may also be beneficial to correctly terminate any unused splitter outputs. It will not however make any difference if the signal is too low.

Ebay seller selected at random
    Code:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/05302-10x-F-type-Male-Plug-Terminator-End-75-Ohm-Connectors-for-F-type-Socket/271116694395?hash=item3f1fd0737b:g:XOEAAMXQBg5RsIJy

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    i would use one that suits their system,5-1000mhz,5-24500 may work but could let in interference causing issues later?

Title
    Thanks
    What you're saying makes sense rather the splitter than the box I guess. I'm pretty sure the splitter is an H shaped one with 1 in and 3 out. One to the router and the other 2 to my receivers. I will try to install the original 2 way and report back, but I think it will probably be tomorrow before I can get to it.

Cactikid I'm not too familiar with splitter specs, to be honest I thought they were all the same! Are you saying a specific type would help, I'm thinking ahead now on how to solve this in anticipation that the splitter is at fault.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    tratec 5-1000mhz is what they used,wos sell labgear 2 and 4 output ones 5-1000mhz if others can confirm there good
    many people have issues with bad cabling and bad splitters.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Use a powered splitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast