Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Zero Not Flashing

Title
    Thanks

Zero Not Flashing

I have a VY Zero and am trying to flash it to the latest image. I have put the 5.1.019 on an 8gig usb flash drive fat32, turn the power off then power it back on with the USB plugged in and it just boots back in to the image I have on it already?

I need to update because I am finding that I get tune failed on normal channels. I do use IPTV on it and that works fine.
    Just will not let me update? I have tried other USB flash drives as well.

Any help would be great.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    if your on openvix you can couch flash box so no need for usb.

Title
    Thanks
    At the moment I am on vix 4.2 I think is that still possible to couch flash?
    If so how do I do it please?

Scrap that, I have just found the tutorial.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Dan626; 06-03-18 at 10:29.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Yes you can couch flash from 4.2, and restore your settings - try searching this site for exact instructions, it gets explained load of times.

EDIT: This is what I found (worth resurrecting) .....

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...l=1#post349579

Quote Originally Posted by Piranha View Post
    It is evident that some people, especially newbies, get confused about types and methods of flashing, so here's a quick rundown:

Flashing
    1. Does not require one to wear a long raincoat in public places!

2. Is the process of writing a new image into your box, overwriting the one currently installed.

Couch Flash
    1. Carried out by using the Image Manager within ViX without even getting off your backside! All done using your remote control from the comfort of your favourite parking position. Menu/Setup/ViX/Image Manager will show the images available from your storage media and Yellow button will show you the downloads available.

USB Flash
    1. Carried out by using a USB stick to transfer a downloaded image file from a PC to your box.

2. The stick must be formatted (FAT32) and contain no other files.

3. The downloaded image 'zip' file must be unzipped and the resulting 'update' folder copied to the USB stick.

4. Unfortunately, one has to get off the couch to shove the USB stick into the box, but only until the flash process has completed and you are instructed to remove the stick and power off/on - then you can get back on the couch again!

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHETHER YOU COUCH FLASH OR USB FLASH - the end result is exactly the same!

Software Update
    1. Using Menu/Setup/Software Update is NOT a 'flash' at all, as only some of the image 'packages' are updated.

2. This method is very quick and convenient, keeping all of your settings and plugins.

3. The ViX team will occasionally recommend a fresh flash, either WITH or WITHOUT settings restore, in order to accommodate major changes in the image, new drivers from your box manufacturer etc.

Flash WITH settings restore
    1. Using couch or USB flash method, then following the on-screen prompts from the Initial Setup Wizard and saying 'Yes' to restoring your settings and additional plugins. New image installed, everything back as it was, all within a few minutes! Painless!

Flash WITHOUT settings restore
    1. Seems to make grown men, especially newbies, incontinent at the mere thought!

2. This is where one has to say 'No' to the Initial Setup Wizard's kind offer and proceed with a setup from scratch!

3. You can save yourself a lot of time and frustration by copying certain files/folders from your existing image prior to carrying out the new flash.

4. Which items you can safely copy and then squirt back into the new image will depend on what the changes in the new image are, as it may be that some of the saved data will be incompatible.

5. Knowing what you can FTP out and back into your box only comes with experience (this isn't meant as a full-blown tutorial). I would normally save my CAMs and Config files, Bouquets, Timers, Autotimers, Settings etc. I always have a copy of my plugins on PC too, but tend to re-install from the new image feeds. The Settings file will generally require editing prior to sending it back to the box, as deleted plugins do not remove their footsteps.

6. Remember to 'kill' Enigma 2 with a 'init4' Telnet command before grabbing 'live' files. If you don't understand this statement, then you need to do some reading before attempting it!

I hope that this helps a few newbies to understand some of the jargon we habitually use when it comes to 'flashing' and remember - IT IS PERFECTLY LEGAL IF YOU ONLY DO IT IN THE PRIVACY OF YOUR OWN HOME!

BTW - I am not part of the ViX team, just someone who has been around satellite stuff since the 1980s. If you think doing a flash without restore is a hardship, I can tell you that it is a damned sight quicker than 'burning' EPROMs and getting the soldering iron out when updating some of the old D2MAC boxes I had!
    Last edited by ccs; 06-03-18 at 10:57.