Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Anyone recommend a good remote for my Quad and Denon AVR?

Ojustaboo

Anyone recommend a good remote for my Quad and Denon AVR?

HI all, I don't seem to have much luck with universal remotes.

I initially bought a one-for-all Evolve 4 in 1 Universal Remote

The first one had to be returned after a month as the up arrow stopped working The replacement worked well for about a year, then a couple of the buttons stopped working.

IO decided to go the Harmony route and bought a Harmony 350.

While the 350 feels better, buttons laid out a bit better and much easier to program, I actually found that certain aspects of it were far worse than the cheaper one for all.

Sometimes I could say press the TV button, then press a command and nothing would happen, and of course I press it again, and all of a sudden all the commands go to it at once (in other words it had taken what I pressed, but wasn't sending them out straight away).

This is even worse when I press the main watch TV power button thats supposed to turn off/on my Gigablue Quad, Denon DVR and Sony TV, one often fails to turn off (not talking about me not pointing the remote properly) and I'll press the relevant device button, press the power button and nothing, then it will suddenly switch off and back on again.

But I could put up with that (was shocked I could only use one macro with the harmony,

The volume up button has stopped working, you can wiggle the button and it will finally register.

So I had a look at the Gigablue Univerasl remote V2, after reading the instructions here

http://gigabluebox.de/wp-content/upl.../GBRCUV24K.pdf

I presumed it would do what I want, so ordered it from forum sponsor.

While its a superb remote for controlling the Quad, unfortunately both the Denon and Sony codes in that manual, only give very very limited functionality. That I could put up with

What I cant put up with is the fact that with this remote, while you have the quad selected, the volume ONLY controls the actual quad, there is no possible way of making this control either my TV or AVR.

Having to press the avr button before pressing the volume and then the giga button to get back to quad mode, well it might not seem that much trouble when I write it like this, but it will become annoying very very quick. So I've had to muck the sponsor around and ask to return it.

So I'm back to square one Any recommendations please?

Many thanks

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    I've never had any problems with Harmony remotes.

I don't know if you can on the 350, but there are repeat and time delays you can tweak which should get round the problems you describe.

Also it's well worth learning commands from the original remote when you can.
    Last edited by ccs; 16-02-18 at 17:55.

Title
    Thanks
    Te Harmony 350 is OK but it is the entry level I have it but also have an ultimate and its in a completely different league.

That being said the price is in a different league to 350 ~£30 and the Ultimate ~£150

Ojustaboo
    Many thanks. I just realised I bought my 350 from Amazon in June last year (thought I'd had it longer) so will see about getting it replaced.

I think I'll try making it learn each button, as while it worked (or worked) , it's sluggish.

To give you an example, if I press the guide button on my quad original remote, and press the "6" key to go right a page at a time, if I press it 14 times quickly, I'm instantly at 14 pages pagers to the right.

Whereas on my harmony, if I did the same thing, It's still going for about 6 seconds after I finish pressing the buttons.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Looks like the inter key delay needs reducing....

Code:
    https://support.myharmony.com/en-gb/adjusting-a-devices-inter-key-delay

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post: