Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 4K reciever

Title
    Thanks

Looking for a 4K reciever

Well I'm looking to upgrade my Xtrend ET8500 which I've been massively disappointed with , mainly on the tuner driver side of things which have not been resolved forcing me to use drivers from old builds to get around recording glitches when using multiple tuners.

Anyway I fancy a 4k Receiver with 3 or 4 satellite tuners , I have been looking at the Gigablue Quad but open to suggestions

I've had VU receivers before and Technomate but not tried Gigablue , can anyone recommend anything

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,051 Times in 7,637 Posts
    Both the Gigablue UHD Quad and UHD UE are nice receivers imo.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

satnut2 (11-02-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,892 Times in 2,245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by satnut2 View Post
    Well I'm looking to upgrade my Xtrend ET8500 which I've been massively disappointed with , mainly on the tuner driver side of things which have not been resolved forcing me to use drivers from old builds to get around recording glitches when using multiple tuners.

Anyway I fancy a 4k Receiver with 3 or 4 satellite tuners , I have been looking at the Gigablue Quad but open to suggestions

I've had VU receivers before and Technomate but not tried Gigablue , can anyone recommend anything
    I have had the Giga UHD QUAD 4K since 1st release in Germany (April 2017) and they have continued to update drivers and provide announced features (although not all at 1st ship ).
    I am really pleased with the speed of the receiver (once booted), the FBC tuners and built in features like QUADPIP and Multiboot (which allows you to flip between Images very easily).... it also has an excellent remote unlike some of the other 4K receivers!
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

satnut2 (11-02-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    I have had the Giga UHD QUAD 4K since 1st release in Germany (April 2017) and they have continued to update drivers and provide announced features (although not all at 1st ship ).
    I am really pleased with the speed of the receiver (once booted), the FBC tuners and built in features like QUADPIP and Multiboot (which allows you to flip between Images very easily).... it also has an excellent remote unlike some of the other 4K receivers!
    Thanks for the feedback Twol , would you say your Gigablue is your prefered box from your vast selection of receivers in your signature ?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    sorry to jump in
    would you say better or on par with the solo4k?
    PLEASE DO NOT PM IN REGARDS TO CS TALK OR OTHER ILEGAL MATTERS. IT WILL BE REPORTED TO THE ADMINS

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satnut2 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Twol , would you say your Gigablue is your prefered box from your vast selection of receivers in your signature ?
    Yes. My all time favourite was the ET8500 (it had some real nice features e.g. slide in HDD, large colour LCD and even a multiboot feature).
    Mut@nt HD51 is my work box, where I try out things.
    I had an Octagon SF4008, but managed to sell it on at a reasonable price A good decision.
    The Giga is my Lounge receiver, and I have no issues. Currently runs with 3 images OpenViX (naturally), OPenPli and Open ATV .... they all run with the same bouquets, and it’s controlled by an Ipad app so my wife sees no difference.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by john doe View Post
    sorry to jump in
    would you say better or on par with the solo4k?
    Never had a Vu+, so hard to really comment...Although I would suggest that Vu+ dropped their pricing when the Giga arrived.
    Quadpip works better on the Giga (all 4 pics have video and sound), but otherwise I would guess that most features are comparable.... same chip(as the newer Vu+ 4K boxes), same FBC tuner, excellent remote, similar LCD size/quality etc etc
    ... BUT the Giga has built in Multiboot like the HD51 and (Mut@nt like boxes) and as far as I can tell Blindscan also works ... regardless of some peoples disbelief!
    Last edited by twol; 11-02-18 at 21:39.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

john doe (12-02-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    the Solo4K would be the worst decision when you want a 4K VU because it is the oldest one and she does not support VP9/WEBM. I would choose Vu+ Uno 4K SE or if money does not matter the Ultimo 4K even though she is also quite old.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

john doe (12-02-18),satnut2 (12-02-18)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have a zero and solo2 and both been fantastic. the sf4008 has been ok but come to realise its not all that, also like the idea of multiboot. ummm
    PLEASE DO NOT PM IN REGARDS TO CS TALK OR OTHER ILEGAL MATTERS. IT WILL BE REPORTED TO THE ADMINS

Title
    Thanks
    i was thinking of taking the plunge regarding the giga, i did first take a look at the ultimo, however it realy is a lot of money (ultimo), for my needs, questions for twol, what is the sd picture quality like, have you tryed iptv on this stb,is it atable !

15. The Following User Says Thank You to stavo For This Useful Post:

john doe (12-02-18)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    does the gigablue quad 4k remote control the tv?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stavo View Post
    i was thinking of taking the plunge regarding the giga, i did first take a look at the ultimo, however it realy is a lot of money (ultimo), for my needs, questions for twol, what is the sd picture quality like, have you tryed iptv on this stb,is it atable !
    IPTV runs fine on this (and on the HD51)... the ET7500 runs off the Giga4K
    I run Stalker plugin (available only on the HD51) when I am watching something serious on IPTV as it seems more consistent & solid - rare to get stoppages.
    SD is OK (my wife never notices if we are running a SD or HD channel, but to me it’s pretty obvious), so not as clean as HD... but then again both my TV‘s are Panny plasma‘s and the 4K monitor is also high quality.... so that perhaps smooths out any issues.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

18. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

stavo (12-02-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by john doe View Post
    does the gigablue quad 4k remote control the tv?
    Good question! As mentioned I typically use an Ipad app to control everything, but...........
    It has buttons for the receiver(GIGA), TV , DVD and AUX, so I am assuming that like previous Giga remotes it can be setup to control the TV .....there are threads posted on this forum and also tutorials/pdf‘s on the Gigablue (Impex) web site.
    Certainly, as I have found to my cost pressing the TV button in error, can really confuse my in-laws when everything stops working on the receiver!!

Multiboot for me is a significant advantage, especially when you run your own build and play with the code ... just takes no time (reboot) to flip images .... available on most images including now OpenPli (only on HD51 currently, but its trivial to add code (even I can do it )for the Giga4K so I would expect it to be covered when they start officially providing images for the Giga4K (meta for the Giga is already in OpenPli and the image buiilds fine)....
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

20. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

john doe (12-02-18)

Title
    Thanks
    I had two technomate 4ks. Neither worked for me and crashed. I was a newbie (an still am) but I do feel the quality was less than impressive and they ran very hot. Someone here recommended the Gigablue 4k UE and so I got that instead. Awesome box. I've never really had the permanent timeshift working perfectly..but I think that might be because I don't understand its behaviour when watching short 5-10min kid programmes.

Anyway...defo vote for gigablue.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to lnoton For This Useful Post:

satnut2 (11-03-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Well still not bought anything yet , Ive been looking at the Octagon SF4008 triple tuner , any Octagon owners got any comments about the receivers ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast