Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Vu+ Duo whistling PSU

Title
    Thanks

Vu+ Duo whistling PSU

Just wondering if anybody has ever come across this before, The Vu+ Duo i picked up for my son to use whistles when its in use. The receiver works fine but the whistle is a little annoying.

I tracked the whistle down to the PSU. Any ideas what this could be. The receiver is knocking on for 4 years old according to the date stamp i found on the case under the psu. Its definitely a 100% genuine Vu+ Duo, not a clone.

I did buy a replacement PSU from a shop in London through eBay who does claim to be an authorised VU+ retailer but all that did when fitted was put the red light on and nothing else. I refitted the old psu and the Duo came back to life, although with annoying whistle intact. No idea if i was sold a clone psu i was sold, all i know is that it didn't work.

I would have rather have purchased one from WOS but they dont seem to sell them

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron so i may have a go at fixing the original one if somebody can possibly point me in the direction of where to look first.

Thanks

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi there,

I’ve no idea about the whistling but on the psu you bought check these two capacitors on the psu board:

7684E440-787F-470D-A338-413B89CF326C.jpg

It’s the two largest ones in the centre of the picture. The two in the picture are slightly buldged at the top but the bottom was completely burst and mine just had the red light also. I replaced both and away it went and still going strong..

Hope it works for you
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mcquaim For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (08-02-18)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sundancer View Post
    I would have rather have purchased one from WOS but they dont seem to sell them
    The VU+ Duo is old and has been discontinued for years. I would not waste any money on it when you can buy the higher spec Tiviar Alpha+ for only £99.00: https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...iar-alpha-plus
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Its a nice thought, but my wife would cut off my testicles with a blunt knife if i purchased any more receivers

I have already spent £60 at WOS this week on tuners for my ET8500, I think that will do for a few weeks

You cant run Blackhole on the Tiviar either. The Duo is the only box i run Blackhole on as my son gets on better with it than VIX

Title
    Thanks
    I finally replaced the psu with a new one from a company in London (not WOS) claiming to be a VU+ authorised retailer. All the new PSU did was put on a red light on the front and nothing else. I can only assume it was either a psu for a clone or it was faulty. The return process was only what i can describe as painful, i finally got my money back after two weeks. Cant say i'll be using them again.
    I decided to try and figure out the issue on my current psu. I narrowed the whistling down to the large capacitor on the main psu board when listening with a straw. I replaced the capacitor with a new one with the same values other than it being 105c instead of 85c and also dampened down the coils with hot glue and now the psu is silent again

Total cost £1.99 for the new capacitor. Definitely cheaper than buying a new receiver
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sundancer For This Useful Post:

Willo3092 (18-02-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)