Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Vix 5.1.006. Time wrong

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jukkal2 View Post
    Hmm.. "any time later than 2004"? Now it is 2017, and soon 2018.
    I think no time before the compile time of the build in use should be considered sane, there probably is a way to check that..
    No! That won't help at all.
    The clock will get set to the time of the last shutdown at start-up (by fake-hwclock). So it may be a few hours slow - and will never get corrected if you are using Transponder time (which is the default)... That is the problem!
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    I've built an image with the commit. Leave receiver in deep sleep for a while, time will be wrong when you wake it up. It then corrects itself. I'm guessing other processes will get messed up. I've not checkec datestamp on debug logs.

Without the fake clock changes, almost all users did not have a problem.

I hope you can quickly resolve the problem you have brought to the fore.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,051 Times in 7,637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    I've built an image with the commit. Leave receiver in deep sleep for a while, time will be wrong when you wake it up. It then corrects itself. I'm guessing other processes will get messed up. I've not checkec datestamp on debug logs.

Without the fake clock changes, almost all users did not have a problem.

I hope you can quickly resolve the problem you have brought to the fore.
    What happens to deep standby timers? Are these now broken too?
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

ccs (27-12-17)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    I'd have thought that waking up from deep standby for a timer was a good clue what the date and time nearly is (it'll be in timers.xml), and any other source can be treated with caution.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    No! That won't help at all.
    The clock will get set to the time of the last shutdown at start-up (by fake-hwclock). So it may be a few hours slow - and will never get corrected if you are using Transponder time (which is the default)... That is the problem!
    Nope:
    It will get set to a image boot time early on first boot or to last shutdown on every consequent boot.
    Usually that time is good enough for cert based OpenVPN connections, HTTPS, ... to work, that previously failed with "certificate not valid yet".

Later during boot, the time from the front panel pseudo-RTC gets restored (if the box has one) and slightly later an NTP one shot is performed (it was always performed, but previously always failed due to happening too quickly after ifup, now it will wait some seconds in background and then perform the NTP update).

And to make sure also boxes without network get a time, the first transponder sync is always performed and no longer skipped if the time "looks" ok but isn't.

For a starting point, this is near perfect. The only problem remaining already existed before: Transponder sync was never allowed to make bigger adjustments after the first sync and still isn't.
    So if you start on a bad transponder or your box clock drifts away, transponder sync will not fix it (and never did).

Gesendet von meinem SM-N910F mit Tapatalk
    Receiver/TV:
    • Vu+ Duo² 4*S2+2*C / 1.8TB HDD / OpenATV 6.1@Samsung 50" Plasma
    • AX Quadbox 2400 / 2*S2/2*C / 930GB HDD / OpenATV 6.1@Samsung 32" LCD
    • Vu+ Solo² / 465GB HDD / OpenATV 6.1
    • Vu+ Solo² / 230GB HDD / OpenATV 6.1
    • DVBSky S2-Twin-Tuner PCIe@Samsung SyncMaster T240HD (PC)
    Pay TV: Redlight Mega, Brazzers TV Europe, XXL, HD-, Sky
    Internet: Unitymedia 1play 100 / Cisco EPC3212 + Linksys WRT1900ACS + Fritz!Box 7390 / IPv4 (UM) + IPv6 (HE)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceRat View Post
    And to make sure also boxes without network get a time, the first transponder sync is always performed and no longer skipped if the time "looks" ok but isn't.
    It is with the latest commit to dvbtime.cpp. But it wasn't before, and that is what was causing all of the problems for those using the default setting of using Transponder time.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    What happens to deep standby timers? Are these now broken too?
    They don't work the same way. They are countdown timers set as the box shuts down (they have to be, as if they were RTC timers then the boxes would all have RTCs, which they don't). They are also nothing to do with Enigma2 - they are implemented by the hardware.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    I'd have thought that waking up from deep standby for a timer was a good clue what the date and time nearly is (it'll be in timers.xml), and any other source can be treated with caution.
    The wakeup isn't done by the actual wall clock time. It's done by waiting a certain time after shutdown.
    When boxes wake-up most of them have no ides at all what the time is.

Title
    Thanks
    Of course I talk about current code.

We can also discuss the past, but don't mention the war.

You started it.
    No, I didn't.
    Yes, you did.
    No, I didn't.
    Yes, you did.
    No, we didn't.
    Yes, you did, you invaded Poland.

Btw: That parrot isn't dead, he's just taking a nap.

Receiver/TV:
    Internet: Unitymedia 1play 100 / Cisco EPC3212 + Linksys WRT1900ACS + Fritz!Box 7390 / IPv4 (UM) + IPv6 (HE)

Title
    Thanks
    The only problem remaining already existed before:
    Well, it might be worth making the default setting NTP time for any box that has a working Internet connexion.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    The wakeup isn't done by the actual wall clock time. It's done by waiting a certain time after shutdown.
    When boxes wake-up most of them have no ides at all what the time is.
    I know, but when the box wakes up after a specified period, doesn't the first timer in timers.xml have the exact time and date when it is expected to start?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Of course I talk about current code.

We can also discuss the past, but don't mention the war.

You started it.
    No, I didn't.
    Yes, you did.
    No, I didn't.
    Yes, you did.
    No, we didn't.
    Yes, you did, you invaded Poland.

Btw: That parrot isn't dead, he's just taking a nap.

You are correct, history is history but we should learn from it ..... like perhaps doing this first on OEA 4.2 or nextp3??
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    They don't work the same way. They are countdown timers set as the box shuts down (they have to be, as if they were RTC timers then the boxes would all have RTCs, which they don't). They are also nothing to do with Enigma2 - they are implemented by the hardware.
    Most boxes DO have a pseudo-RTC in their front panel. Unlike a real RTC, they are not battery backed-up and only continue to keep the time as long as the box is powered.

So the situation was as follows:
    A box rebooting or waking up from deep standby has no valid system time (1970-01-01 0:00 UTC), but a hopefully correct time in its pseudo-RTC.
    E2 restored pseudo-RTC time as system time and then checked "current time (from pseudo-RTC) < 2004"? No -> DON'T really do transponder syncs AT ALL.

A box starting up from power off has ZERO idea about the time, it's 1970-01-01 0:00 UTC (plus current uptime) for them. The unbuffered pseudo-RTC has no time either, so time remains in 1970.
    E2 then checked "1970 < 2004"? Yes -> Do ONE transponder sync.

The known problems were:
    Time can drift away, as later transponder syncs have no effect. Only powering off and restarting from off could solve this, as this was the only condition under which a sync was really done.
    This was/is a quite frequent problem as the clock chips in boxes don't appear to be very accurate.

An E2 box had absolutely no decent time during startup of the core OS (yocto Linux), making cert based things like OpenVPN fail at boot time.

The fake-hwclock addressed the second problem, but also made the quirk "now < 2004" Yes: Sync once; no: never sync fail.

Receiver/TV:

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Well, it might be worth making the default setting NTP time for any box that has a working Internet connexion.
    We have this. It worked until it got broken by current batch of fixes. Hopefully it will get fixed

Title
    Thanks
    Thought about that but thrown away the thought:
    How to reliably make such an assumption?

It is possible that a box that is going to run w/o network still gets in touch with a network from now to then.
    It's especially very likely that a box gets set up networked (to perform couch flash, install plugins, ...) and only gets moved to its non-networked location later.
    Or a box normally running network-less gets attached to a network to get its hard disk filled with media from time to time.
    Somebody mentioned his box in his caravan. .. although I would have an UMTS/LTE router in mine

So you can not make safe assumptions that networked once = always networked.
    One could only add "NTP first", which would try NTP and fall back to transponder sync if NTP fails. But: After how many fails over which time period?

Receiver/TV:

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast