Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Vix 5.1.006. Time wrong

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    An observation

I have my box set to get the time from the transponder.

If I have the router disconnected the boot time is 3 minutes 5 seconds
    If I have the router connected (wired) the boot time is 1 minute 10 seconds

Im sure a with a 3 minute boot some people would panic and start removing power while the box is booting to see if a power cycle would fix it.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

birdman (30-03-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,658 Times in 1,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    If I have the router disconnected the boot time is 3 minutes 5 seconds
    If I have the router connected (wired) the boot time is 1 minute 10 seconds
    When you say you've disconnected the router do you mean:
    you've disconnected the router from the box
    you've disconnected the router from the internet, but it's still connected to the box
    In testing ntpdate timed out after 2 seconds if it was trying to reach a non-existent system or one with no NTP server running - and timed-out immediately if there was no network*.
    So it could be other things slowing it down (the extra 2mins sounds like a TCP connexion...).

* Tested by unplugging the Ethernet cable from a Kubuntu Linux system, but that is managed by NetworkManager, so isn't quite the same - difficult to test on an Enigma2 box if there is no network...

However, whilst writing this I worked out how to test it with no Ethernet cable in (I don't need to be looking - I can keep a log and look later). The timeout is then 23s.
    Given that the command has a timeout option, and it should get an answer in <2s I can improve the script (which you aren't actually using - yet(?)).

Thanks....
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    When you say you've disconnected the router do you mean:
    you've disconnected the router from the box
    you've disconnected the router from the internet, but it's still connected to the box.

The Ethernet cable between my ET10K and the router was still connected.
    The wall wart supplying low voltage power to the router was still supplying power and connected to the router.
    The router was switched off with it's own on off switch which to the best of my knowledge completely turns it off. It had been left off for 6+ hours.

I've Just repeated a couple of boot-ups with just the (short) Ethernet cable disconnected at the router end.

First boot 3 minutes.

Second boot
    Times below are the cumulative times between the switch on to the end of that sequence
    The second and third Vix splash screens on my box have the same image but there is a few seconds of blank screen between them. I have customised boot splash images.

Extrend splash screen 15 seconds
    First Vix splash screen 40 seconds
    Second Vix splash screen 1 minute 45 seconds
    Third Vix splash screen 3 minutes 5 seconds

All other equipment normally connected to the box was still connected and switched on.
    Fire stick on the HDMI input (via a HDMI switch)
    TV on HDMI output
    AV amp connected optically

Using OpenVix 5.1.021.

Note in case its relevant
    The Extrend 10K has LAN and VLAN connections. The former is used, the latter isn't.
    Last edited by adm; 30-03-18 at 18:03.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819