Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Streaming from gigablue over the internet

Title
    Thanks

Streaming from gigablue over the internet

Hi All,

I was hoping someone could help me with a problem I've had since I bought my Gigablue box. I have downloaded the gigablue app which allows me to stream tv channels when connected to my home wifi.

As I'm not at home this Christmas & the cricket will be on, I'm keen to ensure I can watch it through my friends wifi over their internet.

When I have tried in the past , I'm unable to stream over an external wifi or mobile internet.

I currently have open vpn set up on my Gigablue box, which I'm assuming may be the problem.

I intend to use my laptop with an hdmi out so I can pass the signal to the tv.

I'm hoping there is something simple like a box I need to tick or setting to turn on.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Try Menu/plugins/openwebif. Change enable access from Vpns to yes.
    Octagon SF8008 4K, VU+Duo 2..
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply, but still no joy once the settings have changed! What software would be recommended to access my box on my laptop over internet? I've downloaded VLC & can stream over my own wifi. I have a DDNS set up through my router but have no idea how to set it up from here (also taking into account the openvpn on the box - if this is needed?).

Again any help would be greatly appreciated - (with the steps or general direction)

Thanks

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The safest way to access you box externally is by having a router that can be configured with your own vpn.
    Some people open ports on their router but this is dangerous.
    Edision OS MINI,

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashley69 For This Useful Post:

mrmattyc (10-12-17)

Title
    Thanks
    I have a Netgear R8000P router - so I can set up a vpn on it, but haven't done so as I was waiting for a custom firmware like tomato - instead I just set up the openvpn on my actual sat box.

Title
    Thanks
    I'm not sure were to start with a vpn & if it would be possible in addition to my current set up.

I'm currently running a vyprvpn (openvpn) from my box to the internet.

I have downloaded the openvpn software to set up an new vpn & allowed vpn connections on the router.

He's were I'm a little but struck! I have limited knowledge on networks but have a good level of computers, so as long it makes sense I should be able to work through it.

Would the router need the vpn for my box too? & would having a vpn on the box mean what I want to achieve impossible?

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    What was the initial reason for having a vpn on the box? Was is it an iptv issue?
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Thanks
    I initially had it set up through a R7000 router with tomato so I could use VPN bypass - so laptop/ipad could connect separately & have their own vpn for US Netflix etc without messing around with the other connections. So no vpn on the box just all through the router.

My router started having wifi drop out & was replaced, but thought I'd upgrade at the same time. Didn't check to see if tomato was available (which is currently isn't for the P version) so have stuck with the stock router firmware & have vpn on each device until a custom firmware is released.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Have you tried dd-wrt firmware. I find this firmware pretty easy to use. You can then set up your own openvpn file.

https://www.tweaking4all.com/hardwar...-r7000-dd-wrt/
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Thanks
    I no longer have the R7000 since it was replaced by Amazon under warranty. That's when I decided to pay a little extra & upgrade to the R8000P (now regretting that decision).

Currently DD-wrt or tomato don't offer a firmware for the R8000P - they only offer a firmware for the R8000 - so waiting for that release.

So stuck with the original firmware by Netgear, which does support VPN - but setting up the long way round.

Title
    Thanks
    I've managed to set it up now through openvpn as my router was able to produce the correct files.

Thanks Ashley69 for your suggestions - a vpn works great!