Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some guidance

Title
    Thanks

Some guidance

Hi there.

Picked up a 4k from else where and it came with 4d on it and it didn't run me through a wizard on first boot.

After some time the box locked and wouldn't reboot. Black screen flash green led. Was gonna send it back but decided to install vix 5.1 on it.

Two issues so far.

1: the remote control stops working after a couple hours. I have to reboot. Got it up and running last night, this morning I had to reboot, and my wife has had to do it twice today...she gave up.

2: I get a hardlink error when using permanent timeshift. This is with an internal drive installed.

Thoughts?

I have already requested a second box which hopefully looks new on first power on, but that'll have 4d on again which as a noob I'm happy with.

I know these are hobbyist boxes to a certain extent, but was hoping what I'm currently experiencing is not the norm?

Any help appreciated.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    1. change the remote battery? Also perhaps .......Haven‘t seen the remote, but one of my Father-in-laws favourite tricks with my receivers is to push the TV button (not the bouquet tv button - different) and stop the remote from controlling the receiver
    2. what do you mean by hardlink error?
    3. replace the image with ViX or another up-to-date image.

4. these are not hobbyist boxes .... they are used by normal people as well!!
    Last edited by twol; 05-12-17 at 20:50.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Hi. Thanks for replying.

1. Fair idea. But no. Reboot fixed it.
    2. I get this error:

The Filesystem on your Timeshift-Device does not support hardlinks.
    Make sure it is formatted in EXT2 or EXT3!

(Erno1) Operation not permitted

3. Did that. 5.1.002 openvix. Had to do that to fix the black screen as box was basically soft bricked.

4. Fair enough. Was unsure and using someone else's term. Clearly not main stream.

My new box turned up. This one has the latest openvix install on it
    Done on the 22 november...so what 2 days after it was released.

So about that hardlink error
    Any ideas?

Title
    Thanks
    Ok. So new box and this morning faced with a similar problem.

The remote turns the box on, almost instantly (so that's one thing I wanted) but then doesn't respond to any other remote inputs, other than wierdly mute, and the button on the front of the box doesn't turn it off either.

I'm guessing the button on the front triggers the same signal from the front of the box as the remote does.

So anything I can look at for ideas? I'm running 5.1.002 that can with it.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    You would need to initialise the hard drive located in the storage devices. This will format to Ext 4 which will then allow you to Timeshift/Record etc.
    Do you have any energy saving bulbs within the room where you have the receiver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    You would need to initialise the hard drive located in the storage devices. This will format to Ext 4 which will then allow you to Timeshift/Record etc.
    Do you have any energy saving bulbs within the room where you have the receiver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEDs. Loads of them. Not old school energy savers though.

Timeshift still works. But I just get an error.

I'm more annoyed that both boxes stop responding to the remote (other than mute) and front button and I have to reboot via switch. What version of OpenVix is worth going back to?
    Last edited by lnoton; 06-12-17 at 19:41.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    If you get a chance check where time shift is saving to
    menu/setup/system/Timeshift Settings/timeshift location should say /media/hdd/timeshift
    just wondering is it saving the timeshift to internal flash memory ( if its even possible ) which would fill up very quickly and the box would stop responding

Failing that I would disable timeshift and see if the box works normally just for troubleshooting purposes

Also its not a good idea to keep switching the box off using the rocker switch as this could problems

Title
    Thanks
    Hi.

These are two very separate issues. I've uninstalled the HDD for the time being. But I have no choice to switch off/on at the mains when the thing won't respond to the front button or the controller.

I'll give it a few days of investigation and then they'll have to both go back.

I've installed 5.0.032 to see if that fair better.

Title
    Thanks
    2 receivers, 2 different remotes? It has to be something in your environment or there would posts everywhere
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

imish (07-12-17),Sicilian (06-12-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Yup. I doubt it's my environment. I have plenty of stuff that works...oled, ysp-2700, switch, uhd Blu-ray, humax, htpc etc etc.

5.1 is a new version as of 2 weeks ago....so pretty new. Maybe just isolated to the tm-twin 4k?

Off the install all I do is set up the tuners (freesat) and set an auto bouquet for free sat.

Absolutely nothing else.

Tempted to set resolution to 1080p to see if that helps.
    Last edited by lnoton; 06-12-17 at 21:34.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    This is an old post but might give some clues...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry-G View Post
    Does it actually say Nano on the remote ? because TM use pretty much the same remote for all boxes with different codes for each. The Base 4D image by Technomate (although they will tell you it is nothing to do with them) carries a app to change the RCU code via the receiver like the Vu+ one does in ViX but ViX does not have this one for TM boxes within the image.

Also try checking the remote is actually working, Hold the remote up to a cell phone in camera mode, then press a few buttons on the remote. you should see a white flash on the phone screen as it detects the IR signal. If you dont see this flash the remote control it self is faulty, if you do then it is running the code for a different TM receiver.

Title
    Thanks
    Cheers will check. But the button on the front of the box also doesn't respond :-(

I've set to 1080p and set refresh to 50 rather than multi. For no reason but a guess.

Also rolled back to 5.0.032.

Not sure what to try next. Guess I could look at log files?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Debug logs would show key presses being detected.

Title
    Thanks
    So assuming the box is not just freezing, try using the web interface from a device(PC, phone, tablet) via IP address:80
    I f this works (change bouquet, service, restart etc) then my guess is that the remote is set up incorrectly.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Would that explain the front button on the box not working as well?

Mute button seems to work.

But mental this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast