Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to Octagon

Title
    Thanks

Newbie to Octagon

Hi

I've just returned to the forums, and having had a VU+Duo which has never been the same since the capacitor issue, I've just ordered an Octagon SF4008 which I'm very excited about. Any tips gratefully received.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Nice receiver, you find that its like a Ferrari compared to your old Duo.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Having a problem with the tuner on my new box. I’m using Vix and can’t pick up any freesat signals from my fixed dish at 28.2e. In fact I can’t pick up any signals at all.
    Am I missing something obvious?
    Last edited by laserquest; 14-11-17 at 21:31.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Nice receiver, you find that its like a Ferrari compared to your old Duo.
    It's more like a Robin Reliant at the moment. Can't receive a thing on it! Tried connecting the freesat dish to both connectors and neither are showing a signal.

Could I possibly have got one with a dead tuner? Or could there be a software reason for it? Have checked connectors, patch leads etc.

Title
    Thanks
    Are you sure the dish is lined up correctly and that it is in working order? Its doubtful that you have received a receiver with 2 dead tuners.

Another thing it could be is if your dish has been setup for use on Sky Q as they use a different type of lnb to most satellite receivers.

How have you set the tuners up? I assume you have set them both up for a single dish on 28.2e

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sundancer For This Useful Post:

laserquest (16-11-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi also which version of octagon 4008 did you buy, some come with different tuners, i think, so if you ordered one that does cable TV only, you wont get any sat signal.

Not saying this has happened, just a thought

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hazzardboy7 For This Useful Post:

laserquest (16-11-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your input - I really appreciate it.

I've got a standard Sky dish with an ordinary twin LNB - I took the Sky Q LNB off. The dish works fine with the Freesat tv I have, and even receives with my old VUduo box - just not with the Octagon.
    The twin tuners are both DVB-S2 on the same double module - it's this model: https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...2xdvb-s-s2-s2x.

I set the Tuners up (Vix image) with Tuner A Simple 28.2e, and then when that didn't work, tried the same with Tuner B.

The aim is to have the same setup as I did with my Vu+Duo - Tuner A - motorised dish, Tuner B, Freesat. I haven't got the motorised dish mounted yet so I'm just trying to use this time to establish that I have a working box.

I suppose my options are - a) try flashing a different image onto the box such as ATV, or b) send for a replacement.
    Last edited by laserquest; 16-11-17 at 09:43.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    You could also just open up the box (5 screws?) and take the tuner out and then reseat it.
    I would not expect you will see any difference between ViX and ATV for the SF4008, they both work (I used to have the SF4008)
    If it works with the Vu+, I assume you are using the same cables to the SF4008?
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

11. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

laserquest (17-11-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi folks. Many thanks for your further help and suggestions. I've now managed after 4 reboots to get a picture on Tuner A and B, but with no sound!! Also, while picture is perfect and unbroken and the signal is 93-99%, I'm getting weird AGC readings - e.g, ITV HD SNR 99% AGC 24%, or ITV4+1 - SNR 99%, AGC 0%. Is this a software fault?

I've read there have been issues with recent Vix images and no sound, but what I can't find is a way to solve the problem. I've tried toggling the audio tracks and going into the Audio settings menu. I know it's not the HDMI lead into the TV because it was working fine with the VUduo. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by laserquest; 17-11-17 at 11:16.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by laserquest View Post
    Hi folks. Many thanks for your further help and suggestions. I've now managed after 4 reboots to get a picture on Tuner A and B, but with no sound!! Also, while picture is perfect and unbroken and the signal is 93-99%, I'm getting weird AGC readings - e.g, ITV HD SNR 99% AGC 24%, or ITV4+1 - SNR 99%, AGC 0%. Is this a software fault?

I've read there have been issues with recent Vix images and no sound, but what I can't find is a way to solve the problem. I've tried toggling the audio tracks and going into the Audio settings menu. I know it's not the HDMI lead into the TV because it was working fine with the VUduo. Any suggestions?

The recent sound problems are only related to cable reception
    Have you selected the mute button on the remote?
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    The recent sound problems are only related to cable reception
    Have you selected the mute button on the remote?
    :-) Yes I've checked volume and mute settings on both box and TV too! I've also checked the settings on the Samsung tv - there's an option to switch between PCM and Bitstream sound, and I tried toggling that also. No joy. If anyone can think of a setting on the box that might be preventing audio from playing, or has any comment on the unusual AGC readings, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Title
    Thanks
    AGC is not relevant, and the SNR depends on the drivers, so is a relative thing.
    Main menu/setup/audio & video/setiings
    -> AC3 & DTS downmix set to Yes or No? ... depending on your connection to the TV or through an amp, you might need to change the config,
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

16. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

laserquest (17-11-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the clarity re: AGC.
    On the Audio front, yes I've toggled those settings, and have just tried them again - no joy. The ACS and DTS Downmixes are both set to 'yes'. My set up is very simple - HDMI 2.0 direct into brand new Samsung 4k TV.
    Last edited by laserquest; 17-11-17 at 14:16.

Title
    Thanks
    Are you using the cable that came with the receiver?
    When I had the SF4008, I tried through amps and direct to a 4K monitor (with sound) without issues.
    Regardless I would probably try a different hdmi cable..... or send the Samsung back
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

19. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

laserquest (18-11-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Have tried other HDMI cables (I had 4 installed through the wall for future proofing)
    Have rebooted TV and Box, adjusted settings on both.
    What I do notice is that when pressing the audio button, there's an x next to the Audio channel, no matter what channel I select. I can't recall if this is normal or not as I hadn't used my VuDuo in ages.

I think the only solution is to flash to the previous version of ViX to see if that solves it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast