Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which hardrive for my xtrend 10000?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Which hardrive for my xtrend 10000?

Hey Guys

I want to upgrade my size of my current hardrive from 2tb to 4tb. Now i am assuming a 4tb 3.5inch hardrive will work on my receiver right? If anyone thinks otherwise please let me know. Thanks

Now i definitely want a WD becuase i have used them for years and they are solid. Question is there are many types of WD internal hardrives. Tthere is a blue one, a red one, a purple one and a black one. (maybe a few others). It would mainly be used for recordings but i do also use it as a NAS box and i store all my family photos on there so everyone round the house can access them. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    I would personally use a WD Red. I have an Ultimo 4K with a 4TB one in to store my films and tv shows etc and my other receivers are on the network to grab a film or tv show and not had any issues with the WD Red ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have to agree with Andy. I have always used the Red in my boxes and my Nas. Never let me down.
    I don’t know the difference between the different colours of WD. I was recommended the red.
    Maybe someone can enlighten us.
    Octagon SF8008 4K, VU+Duo 2..
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    I would personally use a WD Red. I have an Ultimo 4K with a 4TB one in to store my films and tv shows etc and my other receivers are on the network to grab a film or tv show and not had any issues with the WD Red ones.

yh ok i was thinking red sounds like a good one. But i should have no issues with my ET10000 accepting a 4tb hardrive right?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice everybody. Appreciate it

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joysleep1 View Post
    Hey Guys

I want to upgrade my size of my current hardrive from 2tb to 4tb. Now i am assuming a 4tb 3.5inch hardrive will work on my receiver right? If anyone thinks otherwise please let me know. Thanks

Now i definitely want a WD becuase i have used them for years and they are solid. Question is there are many types of WD internal hardrives. Tthere is a blue one, a red one, a purple one and a black one. (maybe a few others). It would mainly be used for recordings but i do also use it as a NAS box and i store all my family photos on there so everyone round the house can access them. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    You don't need a hard disk with any high performance parameters for a PVR (incl a ET10000). Go for a drive with a slower spin speed, slower read/write speed etc. as it will less noisy and run cooler as it will be lower power. The lower specification will probably be cheaper.

Probably the blue or red is better for a PVR

In some of the boxes a 3.5" will fit but often it is a tight fit for the routing of the cables. You may have to fit the disk to the cradle as far to the the end as you can get it.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    You don't need a hard disk with any high performance parameters for a PVR (incl a ET10000). Go for a drive with a slower spin speed, slower read/write speed etc. as it will less noisy and run cooler as it will be lower power. The lower specification will probably be cheaper.

In some of the boxes a 3.5" will fit but often it is a tight fit for the routing of the cables. You may have to fit the disk to the cradle as far to the the end as you can get it.
    Yh i kinda agree with you. I just realised that the one i currently have is a 2tb but i bought a green one. Te special thing about the green one is that is said to consume less power and is meant to be quieter than the other ones. I remember i wanted this because i hated how loud the hardrives got when it was spinning, used to drive me mad when i was sleeping. So far this hardrive has been perfect so i am tempted to get another green one but the reviews on the red on is also very good. Although i would kinda be worried how loud the red one would be knowing i have the green currently inside my box.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

yh the green one has 5400 spin which is the lower one right?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    ok now i am really debating whether to go green or red. They say RED is specifically for NAS box although my purpose is mainly recordings and i kinda pretend to use it as a NAS box with these enigma 2 boxes and the green one i have inside does this well. Someone online said "t is designed specifically for RAID environments and NAS devices and it is tuned and optimized for 24/7 performance". I do not know how important that would be for me on this situation.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I just realised the red one for NAS features does not really apply to me because i will only be using these boxes for enigma 2 and mainly recordings, I only use it as a NAS as a bonus to back up my photos. So i think i will just buy another green one as Id rather have low power consummation and more quieter. Thanks guys

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    The WD Green is also a good HDD and yeah it does consume less energy so will fulfil your needs well.

Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    You don‘t need a NAS standard drive for an E2 receiver .... in fact for many years I used WD non NAS specific drives quite happily in my Synology NAS boxes (and in fact they are still running).
    If I were in business then I would do it, but with RAID5 for a home user it‘s overkill

Buy whatever is in your price range from a good supplier like WD.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    The WD Green is also a good HDD and yeah it does consume less energy so will fulfil your needs well.

Ok cheers

So i would want to remove my 2tb WD and move into my brothers et8000. It is just a simple case of me moving it right and the et8000 will pick it up with all my recordings and data already on there right?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joysleep1 View Post
    yh the green one has 5400 spin which is the lower one right?
    WD no longer have a "green" disk listed on their web site but both the red and blue have spin speeds of 5400 (rather than 7200rpm of the higher performance disks)

Red average power 4.5w (idle 3.5W)
    Blue average power 4.1W (Idle 3.1W)

So no real practical difference between the two with respect to power.

Code:
    https://www.wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/spec_data_sheet/2879-800002.pdf
    https://www.wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/spec_data_sheet/2879-771436.pdf
    For reference: a high performance 4T disk will operate at 7200rpm and require an average power of 9W

Edit : Specification for a WD 4T Green drive
    Code:
    http://products.wdc.com/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771438.pdf
    Same spin speed and power figures as 4T Red drive
    The Red drive has slightly lower noise figures so possibly this more modern design has superseded the Green drives
    Last edited by adm; 22-10-17 at 17:50.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    WD no longer have a "green" disk listed on their web site but both the red and blue have spin speeds of 5400 (rather than 7200rpm of the higher performance disks)

Red average power 4.5w (idle 3.5W)
    Blue average power 4.1W (Idle 3.1W)

So no real practical difference between the two with respect to power.

Code:
    https://www.wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/spec_data_sheet/2879-800002.pdf
    https://www.wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/spec_data_sheet/2879-771436.pdf
    For reference: a high performance 4T disk will operate at 7200rpm and require an average power of 9W

Edit : Specification for a WD 4T Green drive
    Code:
    http://products.wdc.com/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771438.pdf
    Same spin speed and power figures as 4T Red drive
    The Red drive has slightly lower noise figures so possibly this more modern design has superseded the Green drives
    Ok i bidded and won a 4tb green one. I hope its ok. I mean by 2tb one has worked perfectly for 2 years. But just to confirm a 4tb is compatible with my xtrend right. 2tb is not the maximum size right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast