Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pixelation - drop outs

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Question Pixelation - drop outs

My Ultimo has the dual tuner block for satellite, and it is working just fine, until the rain starts. In heavy rain, the picture gets pixelated and sometimes drops out. Not necessarily the whole picture, but maybe the lower 25% of it, or scattered around the whole screen, or maybe a stripe in the middle or in the top of the picture, and only for a second, befor it goes back to normal for a few seconds. The signal ratio is unaffected and still strong, but the picture is unstable. If I test under this conditions with the original box or with my Duo, the picture is just fine. Any ideas on what might be wrong..?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Nothing..?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Looks like a weak signal problem which gets weaker when it rains ,first check dish aligment , the ultimo may have a slightly lower sensative tuner than the other boxes and as the signal is border line the rain might be enough to cause pixelisation.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The dish is aligned just perfect, so thats why this is so strange. My other boxes are not affected at all, even if the rain is really heavy, but the Ultimo is useless in just ordinary/heavy rain. Bear in mind that the signal indicator isn't affected, as it shows good signal even if the picture is actig strange.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamram View Post
    The dish is aligned just perfect, so thats why this is so strange. My other boxes are not affected at all, even if the rain is really heavy, but the Ultimo is useless in just ordinary/heavy rain. Bear in mind that the signal indicator isn't affected, as it shows good signal even if the picture is actig strange.
    The difference between boxes could be a damaged down-lead from the LNB which could be getting internally wet when it rains rather than a reduction in signal received by the LNB. Does the degradation of the picture extend beyond the period when it is actually raining, possibly indication a damp cable problem rather than signal rain fade. With some cable it is possible for water to run down the hollow dielectric if the F connection at the LNB has been waterproofed.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    My original Ultimo did this. When the wind blew and slightly wobbled the dish arm it would pixelate for just a second. Usually worse on HD channels. The Ultimo was very susceptible to any small movement. I took the motor off my dish to try to eliminate any play on the feed arm. But it still did it in windy weather.

Yet, same dish (and cable) on different boxes or directly to the Samsung TV it didn't happen. Now I have an Ultimo 4K and despite storm Brian it didn't fail to provide a perfect picture. I get Magpies sitting on my LMB and even they don't upset it on the Ultimo 4K. For some reason I could never fix the older Ultimo tuners had an extremely narrow tolerance. I contemplated getting a dish with a feed arm that was brased but loved my Fracaro square dish and didn't really want to replace it.
    VU+ Duo 4K SE

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thecaretaker For This Useful Post:

Hamram (07-11-17)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    The difference between boxes could be a damaged down-lead from the LNB which could be getting internally wet when it rains rather than a reduction in signal received by the LNB. Does the degradation of the picture extend beyond the period when it is actually raining, possibly indication a damp cable problem rather than signal rain fade. With some cable it is possible for water to run down the hollow dielectric if the F connection at the LNB has been waterproofed.
    I've tested this, and changed around, but still the only box making trouble, is the Ultimo. I even put i a brand new cable, switch and LNB. The tuner block in the Ultimo is of the twin type. Maybe the problem can be related to this..? Anybody..?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thecaretaker View Post
    My original Ultimo did this. When the wind blew and slightly wobbled the dish arm it would pixelate for just a second. Usually worse on HD channels. The Ultimo was very susceptible to any small movement. I took the motor off my dish to try to eliminate any play on the feed arm. But it still did it in windy weather.

Yet, same dish (and cable) on different boxes or directly to the Samsung TV it didn't happen. Now I have an Ultimo 4K and despite storm Brian it didn't fail to provide a perfect picture. I get Magpies sitting on my LMB and even they don't upset it on the Ultimo 4K. For some reason I could never fix the older Ultimo tuners had an extremely narrow tolerance. I contemplated getting a dish with a feed arm that was brased but loved my Fracaro square dish and didn't really want to replace it.
    So you suspect the Ultimo itself? Did you ever find any fix for this..?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I just noticed that the problem seems to be worse on high frequencies. On Thor, 12015H is one of the worst.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Out of curiosity At the start you say that your dish alignment is perfect - how do you know this?
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Out of curiosity At the start you say that your dish alignment is perfect - how do you know this?
    1. My satellite finder tool says so
    2. Only a millimeter off in any direction, gives lower signal
    3. None of my other four boxes are affected, and they give perfect picture in wind and rain, even snow.
    Last edited by Hamram; 08-11-17 at 21:10.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    3. None of my other four boxes are affected, and they give perfect picture in wind and rain, even snow.
    Sorry, but I find that very hard to believe....
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    1. My satellite finder tool says so
    2. Only a millimeter off in any direction, gives lower signal
    Which country are you in???
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Sorry, but I find that very hard to believe....
    What..? Well, that's the way it is. Two Vu+ Duo and two original from Canal Digital. What exactly is so difficult to believe..?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Which country are you in???
    South western coast of Norway. 70 cm dish is the usual size, but mine is 105 cm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast