Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recording to USB stick issues

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Recording to USB stick issues

Im struggling with this one guys...Got my os mini in august last year,not sure what image was on it but i use to plug my usb stick into the front usb port(usb stick permanantly plugged in rear slot for EPG use) and record onto it no problem,i could then plug the usb stick into the usb port on the telly and watch what i had recorded and also plug it into the pc and either edit or watch it on the pc.

Im now on the latest 5 image and no matter what i try i cannot record to the usb stick and then view it on the telly or pc,neither will recognise the usb stick after the edison has recorded to it,i used to record boxing for my dad every week but now i cant.

i dont want to dissapoint him and tell him i can no longer record the boxing for him as hes getting on and lives on his own so this is a big deal for me,i cant seem to find anyone else who has posted this issue so im hoping its something simple that i have overlooked or a setting i need to change..PLEASE HELP.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    i never tried moving files from one source to another,there is way but unsure but in the meantime install samba in the network settings of box and say yes and box will reboot. install samba on pc and you can then see your box and access recordings instead of unplugging them.
    think they will be in a different format.
    vlc is a player for many to try.
    Last edited by cactikid; 10-08-17 at 12:46.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

steelcity-g (10-08-17)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks mate will give it a try ,hopefully then i can copy the recordings onto another usb stick that will then work on the old fella`s telly,fingers crossed.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcity-g View Post
    Im now on the latest 5 image and no matter what i try i cannot record to the usb stick and then view it on the telly or pc,neither will recognise the usb stick after the edison has recorded to it,i used to record boxing for my dad every week but now i cant.
    In order for the TV to be able to mount it it will probably needs to be a vfat partition. That will limit you to 4GB files, which might be an issue(?).
    How is the USB stick formatted?
    (Open up a terminal window using OpenWebIF with the USB stick already mounted on the box and type "df -hT" - cut&paste the result)
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    When on the old image the stick was formatted in NTFS as recording in HD took it well over the 4GB limit,i could just plug it in the front usb and record or set a timer recording and all was good.

I Plugged it into the tv or pc and watch or edit the files i recorded,now with the v5 images it wont see the NTFS stick at all,or any stick in the front usb while the usb pen for the EPG is plugged in the rear slot,if i record it will put it on the 8GB usb pen in the rear which is used for the EPG.

If i want to record i now have to remove the rear usb pen for the EPG and plug the usb pen i want to record on in that slot,with the old v4??? image installed i had no issues at all but now it wont look at the front slot with a usb pen in the rear,surely there is a bug causing this as it worked great on the old image,can this hot swap/record feature not be implimented back into a current v5 image.

Plus anything recorded now cannot be viewed on the pc unless i run Paragon EXTfs and mount the pen,very confusing and really annoying to say the least.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    You have never been able to "hot swap" usb sticks on enigma/vix, the box needs to be powered off before removing them.

If this is not what you've been doing, the front usb port could well have been damaged.

edit @birdman, I can't see how to "Open up a terminal window using OpenWebIF"??
    Last edited by ccs; 11-08-17 at 14:34.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    its one of the reasons i said you dont remove usb from boxes and to use samba on pc to view them,so many people have damaged boxes from not following the guides .
    all cables and usb to be only plugged in or removed while box is powered off.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

steelcity-g (11-08-17)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    If you want to share a stick between a Linux box and a Windows PC it is going to need to be FAT32 formatted.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

steelcity-g (11-08-17)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    @ccs & cactikid.....Front usb is fine as is the box,installed latest image today and now i can use the front usb while the epg stick is in the rear ,@birdman..i couldnt see how to open a terminal window in OpenWebIF mate so gave up on that.

Im at the stage now where i can record onto the usb stick in the front slot(At the minute anyway) but obviously still cant view it on the pc without mounting the usb pen using Paragon EXTfs ,its a bit of a pain but at least im a step further and can now record the boxing for the old man and transfer it to a usb pen so he can view on the tv...THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT/HELP GUYS.

Title
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=ccs;455647]You have never been able to "hot swap" usb sticks on enigma/vix, the box needs to be powered off before removing them.[/quotre]You can hot plug any USB device. The relevant thing here is to ensure that any file-system on it is unmounted before you remove it.

edit @birdman, I can't see how to "Open up a terminal window using OpenWebIF"??
    It's the last/bottom item on the left.
    Although you will need to have the enigma2-plugin-extensions-openwebif-terminal package installed (not sure, now, whether it is installed by default).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcity-g View Post
    I Plugged it into the tv or pc and watch or edit the files i recorded,now with the v5 images it wont see the NTFS stick at all
    Have you installed the ntfs driver package?

Plus anything recorded now cannot be viewed on the pc unless i run Paragon EXTfs and mount the pen,very confusing and really annoying to say the least.
    That will be because you've formatted the USB stick with an ext4 file-system. Why?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

steelcity-g (13-08-17)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Although you will need to have the enigma2-plugin-extensions-openwebif-terminal package installed (not sure, now, whether it is installed by default).
    I'd looked at this thread before, but it didn't seem to work as expected??

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...erminal-Plugin

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    I'd looked at this thread before, but it didn't seem to work as expected??

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...erminal-Plugin
    Well, it works fine for me, and has done since it arrived.
    Not that I actually use it, as I use a Linux desktop so just slogin from there, but I suspect that the OWI Terminal would be a simpler access method for a Windows/MacOS user.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Have you installed the ntfs driver package?

That will be because you've formatted the USB stick with an ext4 file-system. Why?
    No i didnt know there was a NTFS driver package,i will look for and install it.....I have never formatted any of my drives/usb sticks in ext4 file system,so how can this have happened?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    be careful as a format wipes the drive,but should be able to go to ext3- 4 to allow to use box for recordings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast