Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deciding on New Receiver

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts

Deciding on New Receiver

Hey guys...

So, I've been out of the satellite scene for a while, and my old receivers are starting to show their age now... So, was looking to buy a new receiver...

I'd originally decided to go for the Mutant HD51, as seems a good spec box, and good price for everything...

Then, I saw the Octagon SF4008 box, and this has DVB-S2X. So, looking at the Mutant, this does not currently have this standard, but there looks to be a tuner coming soon to support this... So, it got me wondering which box to go for... Is DVB-S2X anything worth getting whilst getting new receiver?

What are people's comments about the 2 boxes, and which would you recommend to get?

Cheers
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    Thanks
    Octagon SF4008 is very good, the Mutant HD51 is OK but the remote is poor and no power switch on the back. Otherwise much the same.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Have no switch on the back I can live with. So, is it worth spending the extra £40 for a better remote lol
    Rules can be found HERE
    -----

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pooface View Post
    Have no switch on the back I can live with. So, is it worth spending the extra £40 for a better remote lol
    The SF4008 has support for 3 tuners and the HD51 only has 2 unless you add a USB tuner.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    Hey guys...

So, I've been out of the satellite scene for a while, and my old receivers are starting to show their age now... So, was looking to buy a new receiver...

I'd originally decided to go for the Mutant HD51, as seems a good spec box, and good price for everything...

Then, I saw the Octagon SF4008 box, and this has DVB-S2X. So, looking at the Mutant, this does not currently have this standard, but there looks to be a tuner coming soon to support this... So, it got me wondering which box to go for... Is DVB-S2X anything worth getting whilst getting new receiver?

What are people's comments about the 2 boxes, and which would you recommend to get?

Cheers
    Mut@nt HD51 has an optional S2x tuner (I have one installed) and uses latest chip compared to Octagon S2x tuner.
    Agree about remote, but then Octagon is not much better.
    Features wise: Mut@nt deliver (and have continued to do so ... like S2X tuner), Octagon have been promises promises. HD51 also has built in multiboot which I find very useful.
    Ref 3 tuners vs 2? IPTV seems to have provided alternative solutions for some people, and unless you are going to use C/S support on a few receivers (which can tie up the tuner on a server receiver) less of an issue.
    I had the choice of selling my HD51 or SF4008 and decided on the latter - seen nothing that makes me think this was a mistake.
    Last edited by twol; 27-07-17 at 11:16.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (27-07-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Mut@nt HD51 has an optional S2x tuner (I have one installed) and uses latest chip compared to Octagon S2x tuner.
    Agree about remote, but then Octagon is not much better.
    Features wise: Mut@nt deliver (and have continued to do so ... like S2X tuner), Octagon have been promises promises. HD51 also has built in multiboot which I find very useful.
    Ref 3 tuners vs 2? IPTV seems to have provided alternative solutions for some people, and unless you are going to use C/S support on a few receivers (which can tie up the tuner on a server receiver) less of an issue.
    I had the choice of selling my HD51 or SF4008 and decided on the latter - seen nothing that makes me think this was a mistake.
    Must admit I miss not having blind scan on my SF4008.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I can only echo what twol says above.

I have both boxes at the moment and it's HD51 that I now prefer and I use now as my main lounge box, I also have the S2x tuner and a USB cable tuner all works perfectly.

If you like messing with other images then the HD51 multiboot is brilliant.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Cheers for the information guys...

Sounds like the HD51 it will be...

Can I just re-ask though, what the DVB-S2X is all about? Do you need a DVB-S2X tuner to be able to receive certain channels that are broadcast in a different way or something?

Also, are the HD51's being sold now sold with the DVB-S2X tuner, or is that something you need to buy seperate if you want one?

Cheers
    Rules can be found HERE
    -----

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Cheers for the information guys...

Sounds like the HD51 it will be...

Can I just re-ask though, what the DVB-S2X is all about? Do you need a DVB-S2X tuner to be able to receive certain channels that are broadcast in a different way or something?

Also, are the HD51's being sold now sold with the DVB-S2X tuner, or is that something you need to buy seperate if you want one?

Cheers
    HD51 remote may feel light, but its a good solid reliable remote.

S2X tuner are not generally available yet.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    HD51 remote may feel light, but its a good solid reliable remote.

S2X tuner are not generally available yet.
    Thanks boss

Looks like it's defo the HD51. As even if DVB-S2X is required at some point, should be a simple case of swapping the tuner...
    Rules can be found HERE
    -----

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanks boss

Looks like it's defo the HD51. As even if DVB-S2X is required at some point, should be a simple case of swapping the tuner...
    Only useful on 5 west.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Only useful on 5 west.
    ..... or if you are in a marginal reception area
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    ..... or if you are in a marginal reception area
    OK... I have issues sometimes receiving satellite signal on some channels... I think my neighbours tree is the issue, as I will have a good signal with 70-80% SNR. But then it'll drop down to 50-60%, and causes breakup... Would the S2X tuner help with this at all? Or could that be an LNB issue?
    Rules can be found HERE
    -----

Title
    Thanks
    OK... I have issues sometimes receiving satellite signal on some channels... I think my neighbours tree is the issue, as I will have a good signal with 70-80% SNR. But then it'll drop down to 50-60%, and causes breakup... Would the S2X tuner help with this at all? Or could that be an LNB issue?
    Probably not I just live a little bit out on the fringe of the FTA 28.2E signal ... nothing to do with trees.
    I guess its a dark night job with a silenced chain saw ... or a cheerful friendly conversation with a neighbour?
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    S2X is mainly for multi-stream on 5 deg west, will not help with signal issues.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast