Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: the linux kernel has changed an update is not permitted

Title
    Thanks

the linux kernel has changed an update is not permitted

hi pretty new to this

my systems details :-

edison os mini

about
    virtuosso image xtreme
    by team vix

image 5.0.013(release)
    drivers 2017 04 10
    kernel 4.10.0

problem 1

main menu->setup->software update->

gives this message box
    "the linux kernel has changed, an update is not permitted. install latest image using usb stick or image manager."

problem 2

main menu->setup->service searching->autobouquetsmaker->update config files->

gives the message box
    "incompatible version 2.5>2.6"

background info :-

i had set up my box, and was updating thru ethernet connection

my last update failed, and now i think a tv channel has moved and if i understand correctly updating autobouquets config would re tune that channel, i cant do that either

(i also have an external hdd for tv recordings back ups and images)

ive not done a usb update before, how is it done, does it lose settings ? :/

ty

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    You can also flash using Image Manager. After flashing newer image, you can restore the settings and plugins.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...p-and-Restores

When you flash by USB/Image manager, all you settings are gone. However, on newer images, Image Manager automatically makes a settings backup that can be restored afterwards.
    Once you are on newer image your ABM issue will be resolved.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

osminime (14-06-17),Sicilian (15-06-17)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    USB flashing guide for your box
    http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/g...ashing-guides/

You can also do a couch flash - details below

Backup your settings and image first - these can be restored after you have updated the image so you don't lose your settings

Go to
    Menu -> Setup -> Vix -> Backup manager -> Press the green button to perform a new backup

Go to
    Menu -> Setup -> Vix -> Image manager -> Press the green button to perform a new backup

Now follow the USB flashing guide OR....

Now press the yellow button which will take you to a list of VIX images
    Select Openvix-5.0.16............. and press green to download it
    back in Menu -> Setup -> Vix -> Image manager you will find an entry for the 5.0.16 version you have just downloaded
    Highlight the file name and press the blue button to install (restore) it

Wait a bit while it installs - it takes a few minutes and then your box boots up again (again you may have to wait a few minutes)

For both the USB flash and the couch flash the box boots up with a wizard asking you to set the connection method (HDMI), TV screen resolution (1080i) , frequency (50Hz) and the language (English) and then asks if you want to restore the settings and plug-ins to which you say "yes"
    It will then show a list of your backups - select the one with todays date - formatted yyyymmdd - also it will be identified with image build 5.0.13

The box will boot up again taking possibly a minute
    Last edited by adm; 14-06-17 at 00:43.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

osminime (14-06-17),Sicilian (15-06-17)

Title
    Thanks
    wow, superfast replies, ty guys

ill have a go at the fixes tomorrow

(as a small update i did get the missing channel back by doing one of these i cant remember which now )
    menu->setup->service searching->autobouquetsmaker->start scan->
    or
    menu->setup->service searching->manual scan->
    or
    menu->setup->service searching->auto scan->

Title
    Thanks
    this worked flawlessly, thank you again guys

Title
    Thanks
    I followed this great step by step, but I ran into a problem. My version of VIX is 4.016 and when I downloaded V 5 00 17 and did a backup restore, I got the message "sorry but the file is not compatible with this version".

Does anyone know what the best way is to upgrade without losing my settings?

I don't know if installing the last version of V4 or the first v5, and importing the backup settings, then doing a backup again so when I finally upgrade to V5.17 the backup file is compatible.

Before I try that, I thought I'd ask - as I have a niggling feeling I won't be able to go from v4 to v5 with any settings backup....which is a flaw in Vix if that's the case.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and someone knows of a work around?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    You can't move from 4.0. to 5.0. and use a settings backup, it must be a clean install from scratch.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    You can't move from 4.0. to 5.0. and use a settings backup, it must be a clean install from scratch.
    Thanks ccs, I feared as much.

I can't say the thought of going through dozens of menus and options wasting hours, just so I can update to the next version, only have what I had before I started.

Surly all a settings backup needs to be, is a txt file that Vix references. If there's a new function in the next version, then only that needs to be set in the wizard.

Maybe for the next version 6, the Vix team could find a way of at least importing settings file from the version 5. Surly this is upgrade 101

. Justified rant over!
    Last edited by orange1234; 21-06-17 at 22:22.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orange1234 View Post
    Thanks ccs, I feared as much.

I can't say the thought of going through dozens of menus and options wasting hours, just so I can update to the next version, only have what I had before I started.

Surly all a settings backup needs to be, is a txt file that Vix references. If there's a new function in the next version, then only that needs to be set in the wizard.

Maybe for the next version 6, the Vix team could find a way of at least importing settings file from the version 5. Surly this is upgrade 101

. Justified rant over!
    Wasting hours and hours going through menus & settings? Doing a fresh install and setting up as new should take no longer than 30 mins from start to finish. (Takes me 15 mins as I do these regular)
    Going from 4.0 to 5.0 is not just like adding a number. Major updates will have been implemented. Kernel updates etc etc. So you best start learning to setup again. Then at least you'll be prepared for when another one comes along. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orange1234 View Post
    Maybe for the next version 6, the Vix team could find a way of at least importing settings file from the version 5.
    4.2 has been set as the bare minimum for restores. When next image is out, people on 5.0 and 4.2 will be able to flash and restore. We had to make changes to enable a seemless transition when upgrading image lines. Those changes are in 4.2 images, older ones do not have those. So, it is not possible to automatically restore settings from 4.1 or older. Manually restoring items has been covered many times on the forum, I shall endeavour to make another "guide post/thread" for those on older images.

EDIT: Thread here
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...older-than-4-2

As your issue is nothing to do with the tread title, I shall close the thread.