Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Vu+ Zero Boot Issues

Title
    Thanks

Vu+ Zero Boot Issues

Hello. My friend's zero 'died' and I'm trying to fix it. Anyone know what else I could try before I give up?

When I turn it on I see the Vu+ splash screen, but then the screen goes black and does not boot the image. The TV is still getting a video signal from the box though, it's just a black screen.

I've tried re-flashing OpenVIX.
    Tried the original image from Vu+.
    Tried re-flashing the bootloader in case it was damaged.

I have tried using the A/V cable instead of HDMI and have the same problem.

I believe the problem came about from switching off the receiver at the wall without powering it down.

Is it a write off?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Try using an FTP Client n see if you can log into the receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

Oatesy23 (23-05-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    Try using an FTP Client n see if you can log into the receiver.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the box does not seem to reach the point where it is assigned an IP. I have scanned the local network and I cannot see the Zero listed. The lights on the ethernet port on the box are also not lighting up.

I'm guessing the only option would be connecting it to the PC using the RS232 port? I haven't got the cable for that at the minute nor do I know how to do that! It has been about 10 years since I tried it on the DM500.

Title
    Thanks
    i had a similar problem with my vu+ duo2 box.

i tried flashing from blackhole to openvix but hit a snag where the boot screen would load up and goto a black screen, tried all openvix builds eventually going back to the original image of blackhole.

the issue remained until i hit a specific image 'Black Hole 3.0.3.E Kodi​' that the box loaded up as normal, i was then able to reflash to openvix

could be a similar issue or not, you could try that it may work or not although mine was a vu+ duo2

6. The Following User Says Thank You to carl74 For This Useful Post:

Oatesy23 (23-05-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by carl74 View Post
    i had a similar problem with my vu+ duo2 box.

i tried flashing from blackhole to openvix but hit a snag where the boot screen would load up and goto a black screen, tried all openvix builds eventually going back to the original image of blackhole.

the issue remained until i hit a specific image 'Black Hole 3.0.3.E Kodi​' that the box loaded up as normal, i was then able to reflash to openvix

could be a similar issue or not, you could try that it may work or not although mine was a vu+ duo2
    Cheers for the reply, Carl. Gave that version of BH a go but still the same black screen. Strangely, the initial splash screen now has a blackhole image overlay. Maybe that is normal on BH though. Never used it.

http://imgur.com/a/0OeKO

I'll give a few more images a go since it sounds like a very similar problem to the one you had.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Try a few differant usb dongles to flash

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    ahh now a different boot screen so thinking usb dongle has done something,how long was box left after flashing and boot was on front as some boxes may take 1 min to boot and move to next stage?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    ahh now a different boot screen so thinking usb dongle has done something,how long was box left after flashing and boot was on front as some boxes may take 1 min to boot and move to next stage?
    Left it on for over an hour last night but no joy. Tried a bunch of different images, but no luck so far. Think it might be a write off but I'll contact VU and see if they have any suggestions!

If anyone else has any feel free to post

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oatesy23 View Post
    Cheers for the reply, Carl. Gave that version of BH a go but still the same black screen. Strangely, the initial splash screen now has a blackhole image overlay. Maybe that is normal on BH though. Never used it.

http://imgur.com/a/0OeKO

I'll give a few more images a go since it sounds like a very similar problem to the one you had.
    looks it could possibly be the same issue as some versions would show the boot screen (specifically blackhole) and stay on there whereas openvix would just show a black screen

wasn't until i flashed that specific image that it loaded up, do you know what the original image was on the box as mine was blackhole?

are you using windows to throw the image onto your usb and do you just remove it without using the remove hardware safely? noticed that can have an impact on the images
    Last edited by carl74; 27-05-17 at 12:41.