Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Advice on what Freeview T/T2 box to buy

Title
    Thanks

Advice on what Freeview T/T2 box to buy

Can I ask for box suggestions.

I'm primarily interested in freeview from an aerial so T/T2. No cable in the area but might go satellite in the future so being able to add that would be a small plus. I guess 4k just to be future proof and I like to be able to record more than 2 programs while watching a 3rd (which I can currently do on my topfield). The more parallel recording the better so 3,4, etc. would be a plus. I think you can record more than one program from a single tuner (?). Also on my topfield I have the ability to set up searches (e.g. record all *Dr Who*) but I think all boxes have similar.

The box will be on a CAT6 wired network so gigabit ethernet port is a must. I'd like to be able to stream recordings from the box to remote smart TVs or Rokus via the LAN so I think I need a DLNA server plugin. Anyone done this?

It would also be nice to run plex or kodi but equally I could use another box for that. The ability to play a stream might be useful but I'd expect to have something like a roku to play pay TV, netflix, nowtv, or prime. Since, AFAIR, these are only available of closed source systems, such as roku, then I don't expect to be able to play those on a linux system.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Do you have a budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Not as such. I want value for money but I'm prepared to pay for extra features etc.. I've been pointed towards the VU+ duo but that seems expensive for what you get. I'm not interested in the front screen which seems like a gimick to me. I'd use the main TV or a web interface on a PC. Similar I don't need the wifi. Mutant HD51 seems better value with 4K but that only has 2 single tuners and 2 twins would suit me better.

The topfield wasn't the cheapest but IMO it was the best at the time primarily I think because it could be customised as it had an open application interface. The search function, neat EPG, quick jump (jump 10s/30s/etc.) were all written by the userbase and made the box. I thinking that Vix etc. will give the same as I've got used being able to customise the interface and features.

Fanless is also a requirement unless it has a really, really, quiet fan. Availability isn't an issue as I'm not in a hurry. I could even wait a while if there is a new product coming.
    Last edited by malc_b; 20-04-17 at 15:11.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Note: Number of tuners = number of frequencies you can access, not number of services. With a single terrestrial tuner, you can record all the services on the frequency you are locked onto.

The SF408 is a 4K receiver, but you can only use three of the internal tuners (Even if you have two twin-tuner modules). Not sure if it will be able to use additional USB tuners.
    The ET8500 is the only other 4 tuner slot receiver. May not be your cup of tea if you don't like the front display.

Pity there are no FBC terrestrail tuners.

Title
    Thanks
    I guess you mean the SF4008 which WoS has as a 3x C/T/T2. I know about multiplexes. Topfield is twin tuner but can record 2 channels off one tuner if on the same Mux which leaves the other tuner free to watch any other channel. Someone did try to record the whole mux so you could record more than 2 channels but processor etc. wasn't man enough AFAIR. I'm unclear how many channels I can record off the same mux or what the recording limit is. I seen 7 mentioned. Is that reasonable? Three tuners might do me since looking at the mux it seems like HD BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C4 C5 are all on one mux so one tuner would most of what I want if I can record all those at one time.

It's not that I don't like the large front display is more that I don't want to pay for what I don't want. I can see that display being a distraction rather than a benefit. Price wise ET8500 and SF4008 are about the same and ET8500 has 4 tuners. But it looks like ET8500 has a fan and maybe SF4008 doesn't. I can't find an english language site for SF4008 is there one? Miraclebox (the first box I came across) has a english language site even though they are based in sweden.

Title
    Thanks
    Wait a while and see what the new Gigablue 4K receiver brings.

Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

malc_b (20-04-17)

Title
    Thanks
    The Vu+ Duo2 is an excellent receiver and would suit your needs.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    I've recorded 12 channels with a 405 MHz CPU receiver. The newer receivers will cope better.

There is a 7 channel restriction with OsCAM which obviously won't affect you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

malc_b (20-04-17)