Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: HDD recording freeze problem

Title
    Thanks

HDD recording freeze problem

Hi all. As the title says this week I've started to have problems with every recording I make to my internal HDD. Every now and then the picture freezes & goes blocky, I lose about 8 - 10 seconds and eventually it restarts. Earlier in the week it was an odd irritating glitch, last night it became unbearable, was impossible to watch what I'd recorded and I had to delete.

The HDD is a 500gb new shop install, not some old 2nd hand stuff I had kicking about, there are no signal problems live tv is fine and it makes no difference if the recordings are made off satellite or terrestrial, they are both equally as bad.

I have rebooted, which made no difference and I'm unsure where to look next or rather which order to proceed first.
    If anyone has any helpful suggestions to point me in the right direction it will be very much appreciated, thank you.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Have you initialised and mounted the HDD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Yes Andy, sorry I should've mentioned that.
    I haven't used it a lot for recording, if you recall we had the space loss issue a few weeks ago so I shifted all my regular recordings to another device. I know that's sorted now but I've just left things as they are and use this for the one off or spontaneous recordings. Last weekend MOTD fine, by Wednesday night same programme started glitching.

I don't know if this helps but I've also tried recording more onto the HDD i.e. packing some movies onto there and filling up the space. I checked each and every one of the recordings and they were all affected.
    Last edited by ljmramst; 08-04-17 at 13:57.

Title
    Thanks
    Hello again.
    So after the problems I deleted all the recordings , updated Vix (arrgh that messed my front display up) & rebooted.
    I went through the initialisation step again and did a file system check, just to make sure everything was hunky dory, I'm learning as I go here I don't know if it's overkill or not

New recordings are all fine again, job sorted.
    However, there has to be one I'm finding that out, when I press the PVR button to watch a recording as well as my programmes in there I now see my epg download, thimeshift, lost&found & .. directories.
    I guess I've gone wrong AGAIN somewhere along the line, anyone got an idea where before I mess up? Cheers.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Your recording path can be set to media/hdd/movie so when you press pvr button you got straight to movie folder and not to media/hdd. You haven't done anything wrong it is just you are seeing everything on your hdd instead of the inside of movie folder

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 1999gtv For This Useful Post:

ljmramst (18-04-17)

Title
    Thanks
    I was on another thread where I talked about my box and mentioned my freezing glitches.
    ccs quoted me from above saying it was all sorted, before I could reply that thread was closed.

No, the problem has returned several times out of the blue, i.e. no updates or changes i've made. I have to resort to finding the date of the last decent recording, deleting everything after that, rush watching all the recordings left on the hdd then do a reboot, initialise & yet another file system check.

I'm on the 4th or 5th time of doing this since I last commented in this thread and don't know what else to do?
    Gave up in the end with a lot of series recordings and went back to my Android box/kodi.

Would appreciate any help if anyone can think of where the problem may be.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    What model of hdd is it
    Hard disks are cheap enough these days have you considered replacing with a ssd

Or on another note have you tried recording to a usb key do you still get the same glitching ?
    Last edited by gerinemo; 25-05-17 at 20:51.

Title
    Thanks
    It's a Seagate 500gb, brand new (I presume) shop fitted in March.

I have test recorded with a usb and it worked fine. Problem is it works fine for an indeterminate time with the hdd too, I think I've cured it then one day it's suddenly back again.
    I can't afford to risk buy an ssd have a week or two of good recordings then be back at square one again.
    500gb ssd's aren't cheap enough on my income.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,142 Times in 6,220 Posts

HDD recording freeze problem

It's a waste of money getting SSDs for usage in receivers. 5400 rpm mechanical hdds are fine.

BTW, the fix requires formatting the HDD.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (27-05-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    It's a waste of money getting SSDs for usage in receivers. 5400 rpm mechanical hdds are fine.

BTW, the fix requires formatting the HDD.
    I agree with the first bit but what fix?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,142 Times in 6,220 Posts
    The fix was in the image for osmega and affected how the drives were formatted/initialised. If you don't format/initialise, the issues will persist.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

ljmramst (01-06-17)