Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Having real difficulties with the menus

Title
    Thanks

Having real difficulties with the menus

Starting a separate thread as suggested by twol.

I have just bought an Octogan 4008 from the sponsors, flashed by them with Open ATV. Their service was impeccable. Very impressed.

I'm probably being very stupid but what I can't find is any sort of "channel edit" facility. To be honest I'd really like to delete all the channels that don't work, in fact if I could delete whole bouquets (like Canalsat/Canal+) that would be a start.

I've got Disecq set up, 1 = Astra 1, 2 = Astra 2 (appararently no preloaded channels) and 3 = 5 deg W.

During set up I did a scan on 5 deg W, not knowing any better. That produced the multistreams (which is what I bought the box for mainly), but maybe they were there already.

I've no idea what image it is, it's come with the box. The information doesn't seem to be under "system". The menus seems to be full of facilities which to me are of no importance whatsoever (mediascanner, mymetrixlite, openwebif, I don't even know what these are) and totally lacking in really important functions such as "channel delete", which would seem to me to be a fundamental. Maybe I'm missing something. If someone can tell me how to find out what image I have I'll be happy to report back.

You say the software is simple, I have yet to be convinced, but if you could show me a simple way of deleting channels/bouquets (providers) that would help to prune things down a bit and make it a bit more manageable.

Thanks for any help, and sorry to be so stupid, but a Technomate 5402 (3) seems a completel doddle in comparison, simple lists, shows the channel parameters, easy delete/reorder etc.

If the only way to edit channels is via Dreambox edit then could someone also please explain what version I need for Windows 7 - some of the explanations are in German which I don't understand.

I'd be more than happy to work through a tutorial, but is there one yet?
    Last edited by moulin; 24-03-17 at 21:23.

Title
    Thanks
    I've located the image - it's

24 March 2017
    sf4008
    buuild type 0
    version 6.0
    open atv
    target = 9
    load 0.00 0.00 0.00 1/105 21427

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 2,243 Posts
    So:
    1) as much as I (sometimes) like OpenATV, they tend to repeat everything like Menu options in at least 2 or 3 places...... can be confusing (actually better in German which I think its aimed at) ... I live in Germany so have to accept that but OpenVix is much easier to understand!!!
    2) flash ViX by USB (download from this site)
    3) start again
    4) menu/setup/service searching/autobouquetsMaker
    5) configure setup mode expert
    6) providers what do you want? Choose!!!!

This is where you load all the services (channels) - you don't need a satellite scan or dreamedit to do this!
    7) Providers order .... perhaps change later
    8) Start scan
    9) have a look at the generated Bouquets and Services(Channels) are they what you want?

........ now you have a starting point!

Really very simple ... then we can look at 5W... think you started at the wrong end and with wrong image!
    Last edited by twol; 24-03-17 at 21:59.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks - understand now that I chose the wrong option for the seller to flash pre-despatch.

To be honest given the horror stories I'm reading about stuck flash attempts I think I'm going to accept that this receiver is never actually going to be any more than an emergency back up for me, and it's basically £200 wasted. I had a feeling it was going to be far too complicated for me, and it seems - sadly - that I was right. Don't want to make matters worse by mucking up a flashing session.

Grateful for your help twol - it's appreciated.

Title
    Thanks
    @ machare

Not yet, because I don't know which version I need for Windows 7. Could you advise please - the site I looked at was in German....

I can I think see how to save an image to USB, but is the channel list contained within the image or is there a different way of doing it.

Elsewhere twol has suggested abandoning Open ATV in favour of Vix but given the horror story from someone else I would like to persevere with what I've got, so if - and I'm sorry I know I'm trying your patience - you could advise on which Dreamboxedit I need to download I'll tackle it tomorrow; it's probably my best way forward, given that complicated computer thingies aren't really my area of expertise!

Thanks machare.

Title
    Thanks
    I've downloaded v 3.0.0.0 onto my laptop. I don't even know whether I connect the laptop to the STB with a cable, or save onto a USB or what.

Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Title
    Thanks
    Well, if you want to persist I can tell you how to flash from OpenATV to OpenVix "online" not usb!!! .. but tomorrow (we are 1 hour ahead) ... not difficult and very fast and safe
    Its actually a great receiver .... and once started it's really very straight forward
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches

Title
    Thanks
    you really are diving in at the deep end, I don't (personally ) think DBE is the best bouquet editor, Echannelizer is easier to use (my opinion).
    Take my suggestion in the other post and go to OpenVix, if you do I will post tomorrow how to do it. from OpenATV
    Last edited by twol; 24-03-17 at 22:22.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Well that's more than kind of you twol, and I suppose that if it goes wrong (which wouldn't be your fault, it would be mine!!) then I could go back to the seller.

OK, I'll give it a go tomorrow if you really don't mind but could I just check that it will still allow me to watch the 5 deg W multistream French channels (which I do at least know Open ATV does allow)...?

And please bear in mind that whilst I'm quite proud of doing all sorts of things on a Technomate 5402 mk3 I seem to be being remarkably stupid with the Octagon, so you might need to be both kind and patient.

(And I must say that looking at the Dreamboxedit tutorial my heart sank so you may well have the best solution....)

See you tomorrow.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moulin View Post
    Well that's more than kind of you twol, and I suppose that if it goes wrong (which wouldn't be your fault, it would be mine!!) then I could go back to the seller.

OK, I'll give it a go tomorrow if you really don't mind but could I just check that it will still allow me to watch the 5 deg W multistream French channels (which I do at least know Open ATV does allow)...?

And please bear in mind that whilst I'm quite proud of doing all sorts of things on a Technomate 5402 mk3 I seem to be being remarkably stupid with the Octagon, so you might need to be both kind and patient.

(And I must say that looking at the Dreamboxedit tutorial my heart sank so you may well have the best solution....)

See you tomorrow.
    All the OE-A and in particular OpenATV started with ViX code.
    If we can get you to Vix then ABM is a super tool to get most of the bouquets setup, then 5W can be sorted.
    I will post tomorrow on the other thread, once breakfast is out of the way.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    ABM is not exclusive to OpenVix. We pe-install it, other images have to install it. It is in System plugins.

As an aside, people usually look for the solution to their problems in the receiver category on the forum. You are better off asking in the Image Support section. The way to setup the receivers is more or less the same, whichever one you have. You will be surprised how many posts/questions are the the same, even though receiver is different.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Most people here use OpenVix. Do you want to persevere with OpenATV or use OpenVix?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    ABM is not exclusive to OpenVix. We pe-insatll it, other images have to install it. It is System plugins.

As an aside, people usually look for the solution to their problems in the receiver category on the forum. You are better off asking in the Image Support section. The way to setup the receivers is more or less the same, whichever one you have. You will be surprised how many posts/questions are the the same, even though receiver is different.
    Absolutely true ...... but if you don,t know what you are looking for, openATV can be really confusing .... even though it's all there and offers a lot as an image
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by msjm1313 View Post
    I used HPUSBdisk. Still the same.
    Are you still stuck msjm1313? I wish I could help, but I'm afraid I'm asking as if you still haven't got it to work it makes me a lot less keen to try and flash my 4008 but instead to try and get the channel edit system to work via Dreamboxedit.

I'm just off to look for an ethernet cable to plug the 4008 into my router; hopefully then the unallocated IP address will tell me something useful which AIUI I then enter into Dreamboxedit.

I suppose Dreamboxedit can't "harvest" my Technomate 5402 channel list and then squirt it into the 4008? If I could only do that then I'd be there, as I could then simply do manual scans of the French Multistreams and I'd have what I wanted, pretty much in the right order. I do know how to get the channel list off the Technomate but I don't know whether Dreamboxedit would throw up its hands in horror.

I'll see what the ethernet cable does and report back.

Title
    Thanks
    OK, connected to router. The 4008 can definitely see the router, the wizard says so. It has a MAC address, but under network setup LAN connection it ways IP address n/a.

This really is like drawing teeth, I never thought I'd see software that was so non-intuitive. You have to bear in mind that you people all appear to have some inbuilt knowledge for this, to someone like me coming from the nice well-thought out world of Technomates this software is truly ..... well I hesitate to say what I really think.

Anyway, to be fair my Windows laptop can clearly see the 4008 on the network so that's a start; could one of you bear to tell me what I should do next to get Dreamboxedit working - ie what info I need to tell the software to allow me access to the 4008 channel list...?

Thanks - your help is appreciated and I'm sorry I'm such a useless pupil!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast