Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is eating my HDD space?

Title
    Thanks

What is eating my HDD space?

Hi all.
    If you've seen my other post you'll know I'm struggling with an epg problem.
    That means I've not yet used the box for any recordings, apart from one to check that the feature worked.

My other issue is the use of HDD space, I've just clicked on PVR now to check and it stands at 32% remaining. What's happening?
    The only way to get it all back is to completely cut power to the box.

It's a 500gb drive, installed at purchase. I followed instructions for initialise and checked in vix / mount manager, it's mounted as: /media/hdd and ext4 R/W.
    I set up swap file, menu/setup/vix/swap manager, select media/hdd, create swap file 256 mb. Activate, autostart and exit.

That's all I've done apart from trying to set up my epg's as explained in the other thread.

Elsewhere I've seen suggestions turning off 'timeshift' may cure this, others say not. Still, not an ideal solution and anyway what's going to happen to that space when I do start making recordings?
    Any help or suggestions gratefully received, thanks.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    A swap file on the OS Mega. Seriously? Thats doing more harm than good I tell ya. Best thing to do is start a fresh. Setup as new. And without a SWAP FILE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

ljmramst (12-03-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Andy, as you can probably tell from this and my other thread I'm new to this and trying to learn by following instructions on forums, threads and videos all over the place.
    I'm getting close but not quite there yet, appreciate the advice.

Title
    Thanks
    Just take your time. It will seem daunting but you'll slowly get there. We've all been there. Anything you need to know, just shout up, and we'll try and guide you.

Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    I you're familiar with telnet, the command

find /media/hdd -type f -size +50000k -exec ls -lh {} \;

may tell you what's eating up your hdd.

Title
    Thanks
    This seems to be an "initial problem" with EDISION OS MEGA because i had exactly the same issue within a week of my purchase.
    It seems like the receiver somehow struggles to correctly read the available HDD space

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Edision OS MEGA TRIPLE TUNER COMBO
    Edision OS MINI+ Plus

Formuler F1
    Triviar Alpha

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Mine did the same initially I found going into setup/system/storage devices and running filesystem check sorted it eventually.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 1999gtv For This Useful Post:

ljmramst (13-03-17)

Title
    Thanks
    I am having exactly the same problem as the OP with my OS Mega. I bought it with a 1TB hdd from WoS a couple of weeks ago. I was not looking for the problem, but it was hard not to notice when hdd free space went from 99% to 33% after leaving it on for a few days, with just a few recordings.

I have found that:
    1) huge hdd space loss will occur: a) with timeshift on, or b) when recording, or c) pausing a programme with the remote control even if timeshift has been switched off and no recording is on
    2) directing timeshift or swap directories to a 16GB usb stick formatted in ext4 had no effect on rapid space loss; examining files/directories in the usb stick indicated that the redirections did work
    3) reinitialising the hdd, again to ext4, has no effect
    4) disabling swap, as Andy suggested above, has no effect
    5) if timeshift is off, no recording is on, and I do not touch the pause button, i.e. just keeping the box on, it is fine and free disc space stays constant, for OpenVix 5.0.002 anyway
    6) puttying 'ls -alR' on the hdd shows no file size that can explain the hdd space loss
    7) puttying 'ls -alR | more' from root shows nothing of significant size either, except kcore in ./proc which is ~2GB
    8) Recorded file sizes seem normal
    9) running filesystem check (fsck) on the hdd, or restarting the box, are effective to return the lost space in full, but do not fix the problem

It would therefore seem timeshifting, recording or pausing a programme leaves huge orphan hdd space. Because it is not visible by 'ls -a' but is dealt with by fsck, it might be a system software issue? Help!

Cheers!
    Last edited by speedygonzalez; 13-03-17 at 03:24.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    A swap file on the OS Mega. Seriously? Thats doing more harm than good I tell ya.
    How can it do harm?
    If you aren't running out of physical memory it won't be used, so won't be a problem. If you are running out of memory then you have a problem anyway.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks

What is eating my HDD space?

Harm in SLOWING the receiver down.

Last edited by Andy_Hazza; 13-03-17 at 06:15.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999gtv View Post
    Mine did the same initially I found going into setup/system/storage devices and running filesystem check sorted it eventually.
    Tried doing that and I get the message Error:umount: can't unmount/media/hdd: Device or resource busy
    Last edited by ljmramst; 13-03-17 at 12:03.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ljmramst View Post
    Tried doing that and I get the message Error:umount: can't unmount/media/hdd: Device or resource busy
    I was able to do a filesystem check on the hdd by ensuring a) swap file and timeshift directories were pointing to a mounted USB stick in ext4, and b) no programme recording was on. But there is no point in going through all the trouble - the problem of hdd space loss remains after the filesystem check in my experience, all it did was to reclaim the lost space until it gets gobbled up again through box use, and you can reclaim lost space easier by a restart.

Sorry I have never been here before so please forgive my ignorance, would somebody associated with WoS/Edision be exploring and addressing the issue now?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have 2 folders on my hdd one named movie and another called timeshift and my recording path is media/hdd/movie, timeshift path is media/hdd/timeshift. This seems to differ from other peoples path and I wonder if this has any effect on my results. My hdd is correctly reported as approx 300 gb it is a 320 gb but once space for filesystem is taken into account 300gb is about right. Last night I recorded 2 programmes about 2 hours or so of hd and space dropped by 8gb. Wife watched first programme and deleted it and space went back up by 4gb again about right. Also as mentioned this was not happening before I ran fsck instead I had errors only showing 32 % of space, since running fsck 5 days ago no errors at all. Also I have not updated to Vix 5 yet and I am still on 4.2.030 if this has any bearing on results.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999gtv View Post
    I have 2 folders on my hdd one named movie and another called timeshift and my recording path is media/hdd/movie, timeshift path is media/hdd/timeshift. This seems to differ from other peoples path and I wonder if this has any effect on my results. My hdd is correctly reported as approx 300 gb it is a 320 gb but once space for filesystem is taken into account 300gb is about right. Last night I recorded 2 programmes about 2 hours or so of hd and space dropped by 8gb. Wife watched first programme and deleted it and space went back up by 4gb again about right. Also as mentioned this was not happening before I ran fsck instead I had errors only showing 32 % of space, since running fsck 5 days ago no errors at all. Also I have not updated to Vix 5 yet and I am still on 4.2.030 if this has any bearing on results.
    I was on 4.2.030, and had/have the same movie and timeshift directory structure as you do.

I wonder if you still have timeshift on (because I think it can increase the rate of hdd space loss dramatically), and I also wonder if you are still losing hdd space. To test the second conjecture, you could:
    1) jot down the size of disc free space in Menu / Information / Device
    2) observe the size of a sizeable recording that is to be deleted, either by looking up the size of a relevant .ts* file in hdd/movie/ using Filezilla, or through the Info button when pointing at the .ts file using the Dream-Explorer PlugIn under Menu / PlugIns.
    3) delete the recording from Planner
    4) wait 15 minutes, because it takes a few minutes for the system to release deleted file space
    5) observe the size of disc free space again in Menu / Information / Device. If the difference is well accounted for by the file size observed in step 2, then you obviously have no disc space loss issue. Otherwise, you probably have.
    6) You can further establish the extent of disc space loss by a Menu / Standby and Restart / Restart. If the disc freespace after the restart is more than what you have found in step 5, then again you are likely to have the disc freespace loss issue.

Cheers!

* the size of all the other files with the same name are tiny in comparison
    Last edited by speedygonzalez; 13-03-17 at 19:26.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Mine is fine and everything works as it should now, I was curious if the OP had the same structure on his hdd as mine and if not why are the folders not present.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast