Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Hard drive dissapering from mount manager

Title
    Thanks

Hard drive dissapering from mount manager

Ok I've figured out finally what has been making my box act crazy. The hard drive is disappearing from mount manager, Ive replaced it with a brand new western digital scorpio drive, checked connectors are firmly in place but no joy.

Ive been in touch with technomate who will supply me with a new power and data cable but looking at the cable Im thinking is it definitely the cable, all it is, is copper wires connecting the hard drive to the mainboard.

So its making me think its more of a mainboard issue, I'm on the latest version of VIX and running the usual setup.

Anybody offer any input...?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    have you tried with 4.2 030 and if you get same issue
    PLEASE DO NOT PM IN REGARDS TO CS TALK OR OTHER ILEGAL MATTERS. IT WILL BE REPORTED TO THE ADMINS

Title
    Thanks
    Yes, Ive just done that today actually and as i type the hard drive is currently not present in mount manager so I can't pause, record or expect my epg to download.

I don't even record that often, what Im going to do is disconnect the internal hard drive and insert a sands 8gb usb drive at the back and run that to see how it goes...

But if the usb drive disappears then what could that mean??

Title
    Thanks
    I've actually just rebooted box and hard drive has appeared and is working so will give it another day on version 30

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    My ET10K HDD sometimes disappears, it's usually after reflashing, and the solution is to completely power off for 10 minutes.

I always power off like this after a reflash, to avoid it happening.

Title
    Thanks
    No, still happening. Ive disconnected hard drive and removed sata cable from box, just plugged in usb flash drive, initialised and see how this runs...

Title
    Thanks
    Well tested with internal hard drive, with 3 different drives. Well tested with a usb stick. The internal hard drive constantly disappears from mount manager. Box is terrible with an internal hard drive connected.

Runs perfect with usb stick.

Does this definitely mean its a sata cable issue or could it maybe be something in the mainboard. Technomate want £15 for the sata cable but don't want to buy unless i know for sure it will fix it..

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thejoker View Post
    Well tested with internal hard drive, with 3 different drives. Well tested with a usb stick. The internal hard drive constantly disappears from mount manager. Box is terrible with an internal hard drive connected.

Runs perfect with usb stick.

Does this definitely mean its a sata cable issue or could it maybe be something in the mainboard. Technomate want £15 for the sata cable but don't want to buy unless i know for sure it will fix it..
    can you not take the box to electronic shop to test
    PLEASE DO NOT PM IN REGARDS TO CS TALK OR OTHER ILEGAL MATTERS. IT WILL BE REPORTED TO THE ADMINS

Title
    Thanks
    Is there schematics available and I can try to test voltages across pins myself...

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thejoker View Post
    Is there schematics available and I can try to test voltages across pins myself...
    that should be able to tell you if its the HDD or connection. you may need to contact technomate or find out the voltages.

Title
    Thanks
    Ok box has been running fine with usb stick for a while but now its started to reboot itself especially as soon as i run a crossepg download. Have changed psu, still the same, changed memory stick, still the same. Opened box up and it is quite hot, the heatsink has also come undone.

Do i just need to apply thermal paste and stick it back down?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    You use thermal paste when there is a mechanical means of holding cooler in place. Otherwise, you must use a thermal adhesive.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (21-04-17)

Title
    Thanks
    On the nano 2 super, what component is the heatsink on top of. This artic silver listing says thermal adhesive is not for sticking heatsink on top of cpu, but i thought thats what it was stuck to...

Ive used thermal compound and adjusted placement of it on my box and its made a world of different but its still liable to move like before..

Title
    Thanks
    On the nano 2 super, what component is the heatsink on top of. This artic silver listing says thermal adhesive is not for sticking heatsink on top of cpu, but i thought thats what it was stuck to...

Ive used thermal compound and adjusted placement of it on my box and its made a world of different but its still liable to move like before..