Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: STB as NAS drive?

Title
    Thanks

STB as NAS drive?

Need some advice:

Is it possible to use my STB as a home NAS drive? - something I can use to read/write files (sound, videos, pics) on all my devices. Only home access is required - not remote access.

STB has plenty of HDD space, is networked and constantly switched on - so ideal alternative to buying a NAS drive.

Is this possible and if so, how would I be able to access networked content from my devices?

Will appreciate any advice!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    it depends. Old STBs are to slow and have only 100MBit/sec. Last generation was better with GigaBit and they make around 30-40MByte/sec. Latest generation makes up to 80-90MByte/sec. All offer FTP, CIFS and NFS but with limited user and rights management. For simple needs OK but not really a NAS replacement in my eyes.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

Rayne (24-01-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Great thanks. I'm not fussed about speed because I mostly just need somewhere to access docs/pics/music.

How would I go about setting it up; and how can the client access the content?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 879 Posts
    Once you install the NFS and Samba server plugins the data will become visible on your network. As @Trial points out there is no user security or rights management, so open to all on your local network. So, not the ideal place to store "irreplaceable" data, ensure you have backups.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

Rayne (24-01-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you. Which tool/app should I use to access this on the client side?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    Thank you. Which tool/app should I use to access this on the client side?
    You shouldn't need any additional software to access it from the client side on a PC/Mac. The feature will be built into to OS. As for security, if you're familiar with Linux and the CLI, it wouldn't be that difficult I would imagine to set file/directory permission if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk