Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Internal Hardrive Potentially dead?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Nobody here owes you anything. You are not able to follow any advice - that's fine too but there's no point posting here as no-one can help you. You will need to take the box to someone who does have a clue. There's nothing new about hard drives dying - it happens. We don't even know how old the driver are. If they are under warranty get them replaced. If not then get over it - no one here is responsible for your problems and have only tried to help. If you tried researching telnet you would be able to do the tests Rob suggested.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    Ronand no need to be rude and aggressive.

If you cant post any constructive dont bother to post simple.

I have done research on telnet and I DONT get it. I cant grasp or understand what its asking me to do.

I dont need to be patronised by you.

Dont understand people biting me head off if I cant do things they ask.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by champs4life View Post
    No offence Rob but how is that procedure simple and why you forcing me to use that procedure when I have no idea what it is and how to do it?
    I'm not 'forcing' you to do anything at all. I only suggested the two things (debug logs and HDD tests) that might be able to shed some light on what exact the issue is.
    But even without them I can tell you with 90% certainty that your HDD is faulty and that a box won't cause that.
    The only real influence in this area could be the user: cutting the power without shutting down the box via the menu is typically causing this kind of hardware issues.
    And of course the HDD itself; every HDD dies one day, can be sooner or can be later.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

ronand (08-01-17)

Title
    Thanks
    If box isnt faulty it shouldnt be crashing frequently nor should 2 HDDs get faulty and die in the box.

I have multiple internal HDDs in laptops, PCs etc and not one has ever caused issues. So clearly something is happening with the box in regards to the HDD.

I cant accept HDDs can die any time. 2 HDDs dying with 9 months both in the receiver. No that is not right and something is seriously wrong not so much with HDDs but the box which has caused both to die.

I am really stressed and really down over all of this and I dont want to get into any arguement with anyone.

So best I just take a break and cool/calm down.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    If box isnt faulty it shouldnt be crashing frequently....
    We still haven't seen any logs. And in 99% of the cases, 'frequent crashes' are related to user errors. And besides: you said this wasn't a real issue, as it didn't happen the last couple of days.

..... nor should 2 HDDs get faulty and die in the box.
    I've never ever heard before that a hardware issue causes an HDD to die. They simply die, as I said before.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    We still haven't seen any logs. And in 99% of the cases, 'frequent crashes' are related to user errors. And besides: you said this wasn't a real issue, as it didn't happen the last couple of days.

I've never ever heard before that a hardware issue causes an HDD to die. They simply die, as I said before.
    Just because it didnt happen in last few days doesnt mean the crashes have stopped.

Sorry but 2 HDDs just DONT die in less than a year.

Something serious has happened that has caused this to happen.

Like I said I have had HDDs for many years with no issues.

But as soon as I put these two in the receiver they die in no time.

Something is seriously wrong.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Logs, logs, logs.....

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    ....I think you've already stated the likely cause of the HDD failures.
    I can only think of the freezing issues with made me switch the box off and on on alot of occasions is the result of how both HDDs have died as I have no other explanation.
    And I still think installing the disc with 4 fixing screws missing isn't going to help.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (08-01-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    ....I think you've already stated the likely cause of the HDD failures.
    And I still think installing the disc with 4 fixing screws missing isn't going to help.
    But is switching the box of alot and not having screws fitted really kill the HDD?

I have read if there is little or too much power coming to the HDD that could cause the HDD to die.

But again not sure how I would know about the power.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    put it another way your high class car has an issue and you dont have a clue,you bring it to the garage and something is not right but no idea.What will garage do they will run diagnostics on car to see what faults come up to identify what is going on.
    As many have said post your logs as that means you dont have to go garage but your fault codes are posted and the data checked to see why boxes have issue,dont give up m8.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Cutting the power to the HDD, by switching off the rocker switch at the back is going to damage the HDD. With no screws attached, the vibrations will be more and more damage will be done to the platters.

Moral of the story, you must "Deep standby" your receiver, not operate the rocker switch at the back.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

cactikid (08-01-17)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    But is switching the box of alot and not having screws fitted really kill the HDD
    Who knows? It's the only information you've provided.
    If the cable has worked loose from the hdd, then it won't be dead, just disconnected.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,305 Posts
    If box isnt faulty it shouldnt be crashing frequently nor should 2 HDDs get faulty and die in the box.
    It isn't crashing: it's hanging. There is a difference. Enabling debug logs would probably give an indication of why this is happening.

I have multiple internal HDDs in laptops, PCs etc and not one has ever caused issues. So clearly something is happening with the box in regards to the HDD.
    This is the box that you are frightened to add a disk to?

2 HDDs dying with 9 months both in the receiver.
    Were these the same model from the same suppler as the multiple ones you had in the laptops and PCs?

[quote]No that is not right and something is seriously wrong not so much with HDDs but the box which has caused both to die.[quote]But they haven't become corrupted, they've disappeared (the box can't find them at all) according to your descriptions. That sounds more like a loose connector.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    Cutting the power to the HDD, by switching off the rocker switch at the back is going to damage the HDD. With no screws attached, the vibrations will be more and more damage will be done to the platters.

Moral of the story, you must "Deep standby" your receiver, not operate the rocker switch at the back.
    Abu so no screws attached and box crashing and switching off the back of the receiver has killed the HDD?

Also like I have said numerous times where the ring appears at the top I CANT do anything apart from switch the receiver off at the back. I cant put it in deep standby.

This is all too much and too stressing for me.

Its technical stuff like this that makes me ill.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Who knows? It's the only information you've provided.
    If the cable has worked loose from the hdd, then it won't be dead, just disconnected.
    Cable to HDD and to the box inside is fitted tight not loose.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast