Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Internal Hardrive Potentially dead?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    did first post not state he lost his hdd?
    i was lucky and a reboot now sees the hdd.
    "No sound" and "sound back" suggested to me you were referring to an audio problem, which can be resolved by rebooting.

Title
    Thanks
    So no solutions then?

Have to accept its dead and not knowing reasons how it happened or if box is faulty?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Who fitted the drive when you bought the last replacement?

Title
    Thanks
    I had a family member fit it for me as I was scared and worried that I could end up destroying it, not that it makes any difference now.

It was mounted fine in the caddy. Only thing the screws were not in it as I didnt have the correct ones.

Surely it didnt die because of not having screws in it?

I can only think of the freezing issues with made me switch the box off and on on alot of occasions is the result of how both HDDs have died as I have no other explanation.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    question now is if removing hdd from box will it still crash?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by champs4life View Post
    I had a family member fit it for me as I was scared and worried that I could end up destroying it, not that it makes any difference now.

It was mounted fine in the caddy. Only thing the screws were not in it as I didnt have the correct ones.

Surely it didnt die because of not having screws in it?

I can only think of the freezing issues with made me switch the box off and on on alot of occasions is the result of how both HDDs have died as I have no other explanation.
    Not mounting the drive securely with the correct screws won't have helped, and powering off lots of times isn't a good idea either.
    However, if the drive was not secured properly, it might be that the sata cable has worked loose over time, and just needs re-seating.
    You really need to get someone who understands what they're doing to take a look at the box.

Title
    Thanks
    Would the HDD still have moved even though it had not screws to tighten it? I am sure it was mounted properly.

Powering off I know wasnt a good idea but had no other option with box crashing frequently.

I still believe the HDD is done for, cant see how its not finished. I also believe the box is screwed as well. With the amount of problems it is not normal for any box. Its just my luck.

Unfortunately I dont know anyone who could look into this issue. Me I am utterly useless and thick when its comes to anything advanced/technical.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Try giving WOS a ring and see what they say.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    You need to produce Debug Logs Champs if you are having issues with your receiver. Its all speculation about is the box faulty, hdd dead or faulty, you seriously need to create a new post and upload logs with your issues, its the only way you will get to the root cause of your issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    And the only way to be sure about the status of the HDD is to carry out the simple procedure I posted earlier.

Anyway: even without any technical skills opening the box and check if the connector on the HDD and also on the mainboard are fitted securely shouldn't be a problem.

Question: you mentioned 'powering off' the box; how do you do that? If you just pull the plug without going to deep sleep via the menu this could certainly explain HDD getting faulty over time.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    You need to produce Debug Logs Champs if you are having issues with your receiver. Its all speculation about is the box faulty, hdd dead or faulty, you seriously need to create a new post and upload logs with your issues, its the only way you will get to the root cause of your issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But I am trying to figure out whats happened to the HDD, the box crashing hasnt happened for some days so thats not the big issue atm.

I dont even know if the HDD is truly dead or faulty.

I dont know how running debug logs is going to solve the issue if at all with the HDD.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Of course activating the debug logs won't solve anything, but they may help to shed some light.

You keep repeating I can't do this and I can't do that; sorry to say, but that won't bring you far.....

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    And the only way to be sure about the status of the HDD is to carry out the simple procedure I posted earlier.

Anyway: even without any technical skills opening the box and check if the connector on the HDD and also on the mainboard are fitted securely shouldn't be a problem.

Question: you mentioned 'powering off' the box; how do you do that? If you just pull the plug without going to deep sleep via the menu this could certainly explain HDD getting faulty over time.
    No offence Rob but how is that procedure simple and why you forcing me to use that procedure when I have no idea what it is and how to do it?

The connector to the mainboard and connector on the HDD are fitting securely from what I can tell. It seems its secure in the caddy as well.

I just switch from rear switch when box has crashed with ring at the top. There is no other safe way I can turn the box off.

Honestly I doubt the HDD has become loose all of a sudden, it has to be faulty or most likely dead from the times I have turned the box off. There is no other explanation as to why the 2nd HDD has died after such a short period.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    Of course activating the debug logs won't solve anything, but they may help to shed some light.

You keep repeating I can't do this and I can't do that; sorry to say, but that won't bring you far.....
    So what do you want me to do then?

Do all the procedures you mentioned without having any idea? Opened the box up and start messing it up even more?

I am not technical in any shape or form.

Whether that makes me stupid/thick not be able to do such things then so be it.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    First activate the debug logs (and restart the box when done). After seeing faults send ut the log (attach to a post please).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast