Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DM 820HD struggles...

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

DM 820HD struggles...

Hello

I have a DM 820HD bought from WoS recently.

I have been using OpenATV 5.3 for some time, but wanted to try the original DM firmware. I used the latest stable OE2.5 firmware (08/12/16) and all went OK until I tried to use local extension install to add ABM and another skin.

I have a SATA harddrive installed, so used ftp to copy the ipk files (which work fine on OpenATV) to the root of the harddrive and also the tmp folder (as I wasn't sure which location the firmware used for local extensions). However, the box could not find any files. What location should I have used?

I then copied the files to a USB stick and tried to get OE2.5 to find the files by mounting and then selecting the USB stick. The stick was mounted OK, but OE2.5 simply stated that the files were not present.

I then flashed OE2.2 (which the box came with originally) dated 14/5/16 which also recognised the USB drive OK and I was able to select the ipk files to install. However, the box simply said that "0" files were updated and nothing happened.

What have I done wrong? I am new to E2... should I be using OE2.5? Is it "better" than OE2.2? I assume it has later drivers etc. Most of the support for Dreambox STBs seems to be for the German user, and the DM website contains little help or indeed any firmware links.

(On a related note, OpenATV does not seem to use the tmp folder for local installation files, it uses the root of hdd - is that correct?)

Thanks!
    Last edited by LanceH; 30-12-16 at 19:20.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Also... for my wife and daughters, how can I emulate a Planner similar to this (not interested in the skin, just the layout/format)

Thanks

Before.jpg

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    The OI (official image) from dream multi media is notoriously bad and very difficult if not almost impossible to customise. You have taken a quantum leap backwards by flashing this image over the previous one.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

LanceH (30-12-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    You can install from /tmp on all OE-A images. An ipk on USB drive inserted when you are not in a menu should also prompt you.

For OpenATV:
    Graphical EPG: They may have text mode instead of graphics. Picture in Graphics may be off.
    Open the G-EPG and press menu to see options.

Have a look at this thread,most items should be the same.
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...ens+navigation

6. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

LanceH (30-12-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry-G View Post
    The OI (official image) from dream multi media is notoriously bad and very difficult if not almost impossible to customise. You have taken a quantum leap backwards by flashing this image over the previous one.
    Ah - OK, I almost guessed that. I'm back on OpenATV 5.3 (which seems to hate any EPG/CrossEPG plug-ins and crashes) which apart from the Planner thing above seems OK.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    You can install from /tmp on all OE-A images. An ipk on USB drive inserted when you are not in a menu should also prompt you.

For OpenATV:
    Graphical EPG: They may have text mode instead of graphics. Picture in Graphics may be off.
    Open the G-EPG and press menu to see options.

Have a look at this thread,most items should be the same.
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...ens+navigation
    For some reason, ftp to the tmp folder means OpenATV cannot find the files... so I have to use /hdd. Inserting the USB flash drive does indeed prompt, and also when using local install and pointing at the flash drive.

I've done the Graphical EPG settings to death and cannot get anything that looks like a Planner. I'm using Autobouquets E2 rather than ABM and the box default EPG plugin, if any of that makes a difference.

I'll go and read the link you posted again and see if I've missed anything.

(The DM remote doesn't have a dedicated EPG button either... I bought this box why??)
    Last edited by LanceH; 30-12-16 at 20:56.

Title
    Thanks
    Use EPG importer instead. The tuner coding in DMM is different that could explain the crash in CrossEPG downlaoder. I suspect ABM will do the same. If so, use LraiZer's plugin as that does not interact with tuner directly.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I cannot find an "EPG button" that gives me anything like the screenshots in this post http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...l=1#post375532

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry I don't have the receiver. Is there an Info button? That may do the same thing.

Maybe you can assign it to a key of your choosing using Button Setup?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Did some button remapping and went through every possible EPG (Single/Multi/Graphical etc.) trying various settings one by one and there is no way I can produce a "Planner" as per my original screenshot above. Even tried something called Cool TV guide which gave me something more like it, but not great and certainly a mile from a readily usable Planner.

Should I sell this (new) box and go for something more "supported", I wonder...
    Last edited by LanceH; 31-12-16 at 08:55.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Had enough - ordered a "VU+ Solo 2 Twin Tuner DVB-S2 HD Enigma2 Linux Satellite Receiver" from WoS this morning.

Will sell the 820HD now, I'm sure someone in Germany will want it at a bargain price!

Thanks for your kind support on the above issues, really appreciate it.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceH View Post
    Had enough - ordered a "VU+ Solo 2 Twin Tuner DVB-S2 HD Enigma2 Linux Satellite Receiver" from WoS this morning.

Will sell the 820HD now, I'm sure someone in Germany will want it at a bargain price!

Thanks for your kind support on the above issues, really appreciate it.
    Great choice of receiver, the Solo2 is fab not to mention the awesome remote also.
    The Dreamboxes do look quality receivers, shame ViX don't support them....... hopefully one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

LanceH (31-12-16)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Hazza View Post
    The Dreamboxes do look quality receivers, shame ViX don't support them....... hopefully one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Extremely unlikely, they were approached and basically told us to go fcuk off. They want nothing at all to do with ViX or any other third party image team. There was a brief set of DM Images for the DM800 in ViX 2.xx but it was deleted long ago and was never released to the public.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry-G View Post
    Extremely unlikely, they were approached and basically told us to go fcuk off. They want nothing at all to do with ViX or any other third party image team. There was a brief set of DM Images for the DM800 in ViX 2.xx but it was deleted long ago and was never released to the public.
    Just found the old experimental DM800 and DM800se ViX-2.3.059 images on my HDD over 6 years old now never tested them my self
    All PM,s asking about c/s on cable will be ignored and reported to forum staff!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bassethound For This Useful Post:

Larry-G (31-12-16)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bassethound View Post
    Just found the old experimental DM800 and DM800se ViX-2.3.059 images on my HDD over 6 years old now never tested them my self
    LOL I know I downloaded them at the time but I didn't have a box to test them so I'm fairly sure I deleted them unless there also hiding on a old HDD some where. Nice to know you still have copies Brian, while they were never released they are a part of the ViX history.

SIMPLES.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

bassethound (31-12-16)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast