Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idiot Guide Needed For Remotely Accessing OpenWebif (Watch TV Outside Of My Home).

Title
    Thanks

Idiot Guide Needed For Remotely Accessing OpenWebif (Watch TV Outside Of My Home).

Hullo everyone,

Firstly, if I'm posting this in the wrong area of the forum, please forgive me - I have no idea where to start.

I have to spend a lot of time in hospital, and if anyone has this misfortune, they will know how rubbish and expensive watching TV in hospital is!

At home, I have a Vusolo2 box installed, along with a high speed Virgin Media connection.

On my tablet at home, I can connect to the Vusolo2 via my WIFI and can watch any of the channels anywhere within the WIFI range.
    (I use the address http://192.168.0.01 then the number my box is assigned to, then use the OpenWebif page to select a channel, which then opens with VLC).

What I'm hoping to do, is to simply connect to my Vusolo2 when I'm not at home, example being - watch any of my channels when I'm in hospital.

I seriously have no idea on how to accomplish this, and dare not try anything in case I mess up badly.

If anyone can provide me with an idiot proof guide - Step 1, Step 2 etc on how to do this, I would be a very happy person, armed with my tablet for my next round of hospital tratment!

Fingers crossed, and best wishes,

Carsmile.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    I would recommend setting up a VPN. Take a look here >> Private Internet Access Open VPN Setup

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...8&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Thanks
    Hello Andy,

Thank you for your reply, my apologies for the delay, in hospital again I'm afraid.

When I said I needed an idiot guide, I really meant it - I have looked at your link and whilst it may be easy for someone to acheive, it looks incredibly difficult for me - is there not a simpler way to do this.
    I only wish to connect the same way I can coonect when I'm using my home network.

Fingers crossed there i s a simpler way to do this.
    Many tahnks for your help anyway, really appreciated.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by carsmile View Post
    Is there not a simpler way to do this.
    Another way would be to assign your STB a static IP then setup port forwarding for port 80 on your home router to point to the STB's IP. Then you could simple put the your WAN IP assigned from your ISP into your bowser and away you would go.

That's probably the simplest your going to get however there would be a number of security issues that would come with doing it this way.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackvenom View Post
    Another way would be to assign your STB a static IP then setup port forwarding for port 80 on your home router to point to the STB's IP. Then you could simple put the your WAN IP assigned from your ISP into your bowser and away you would go.

That's probably the simplest your going to get however there would be a number of security issues that would come with doing it this way.
    Make sure you read the last sentence. This is as insecure a solution as you'll find.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    How about downloading MOBDRO to your tablet - you can stream all popular channels (bbc, itv ect) plus many more including live sports. Just used it very successfully in Madeira over the new year.
    VU+ Solo2 HDD Harmony 650 remote
    Mutant HD51 4K
    VU+ Zero
    Edision OS MINI

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    Make sure you read the last sentence. This is as insecure a solution as you'll find.
    So ... Thanks for the reply - now to show what and idiot I am in all things technical.

1) I'm guessing my STB is my VUSolo2 Box ?

2) How would I assign it a "static IP" ?

3) Is there a simple way I could combat any security issues, ie: put in a really stromg username / password to my router so that anyone would need to log in ?

Really sorry if I appear ignorant here, the truth is, I am!

Any help with the above would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Willmoore View Post
    How about downloading MOBDRO to your tablet - you can stream all popular channels (bbc, itv ect) plus many more including live sports. Just used it very successfully in Madeira over the new year.
    Hi, many thanks for your message - is this available to use on a PC, my "tablet" is a Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    So ... Thanks for the reply - now to show what and idiot I am in all things technical.

3) Is there a simple way I could combat any security issues, ie: put in a really stromg username / password to my router so that anyone would need to log in ?

Really sorry if I appear ignorant here, the truth is, I am!

Any help with the above would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
    Hi, I was only commenting on how insecure the suggestion could be.
    I've never (needed to) set up a box to be accessed securely from the outside world.
    It can be done, but it's not easy if you're not technically minded. Someone else needs to advise you.

Title
    Thanks

Idiot Guide Needed For Remotely Accessing OpenWebif (Watch TV Outside Of My Home).

3) Is there a simple way I could combat any security issues, ie: put in a really stromg username / password to my router so that anyone would need to log in?
    1. Yes your STB (set top box) is your VU Solo2.

2. I would recommend assigning it a static IP using the DHCP reservation option on your router.

3. Enable HTTPS for OpenWebif and assign a username and a strong password. I would also change the port from 80 to something else!

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,

Big thanks for your reply.

So I guess I can figure out The DHCP part.

Forgive my ignorance, but how would I enable https for Openwebif, and how would I go about enabling the port etc ?

Many thanks in advance.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blackvenom View Post
    3. Enable HTTPS for OpenWebif and assign a username and a strong password. I would also change the port from 80 to something else!
    and yet still the stream will be unencrypted and the box would be open to a hijack - so a tad pointless.

better solution as recommended would be VPN, personally haven't found an idiots guide either.

Title
    Thanks
    At the right time we should also mention DDNS.

Title
    Thanks
    VU+ Solo2, Vix 6.2.005. (miss Apollo.153 though)
    Triax TD110
    Darkmotor Superior
    Inverto Black Ultra
    TH50PF10
    Lumagen 2021
    Arcam 888/ P7
    Harmony Elite
    B&W 803N, HTM2, 805N, AWS800

Title
    Thanks
    Late answer but since no one has posted it I do

Login to your router

Portforward ports 80 and 8001 (in my case the box have internal ip 192.168.10.130 so I portforward to that IP these ports).

step_1.jpg
    --------------------------------------

telnet 192.168.10.130
    adduser admin -h /dev/null -H -s /bin/false -G root
    (admin can be something else too, its your username so choose something you remember)
    You will now be prompted to add new password (Here you choose some difficult password that you remember)

----------
    Start your box and tv. Go to menu, plugins. Openwebif,
    Enable webif
    Enable HTTP Authentication
    Enable HTTPS
    Enable HTTPS Authentication
    Enable Authentication for streaming
    Add service name to stream information

step_2.jpg
    step_3.jpg
    step_4.jpg
    step_5.jpg
    -----------
    Start webbrowser and surf to www.whatismyip.com
    Copy the Public IP and start using!

This works in computer and also with "DreamDroid" mobile app!

This should do it and please, this is not secure do so be careful and use only for fun purposes with receivers you dont care so much if somebody hacks them since your box is now open to internet!!!!!

Hullo everyone,

Firstly, if I'm posting this in the wrong area of the forum, please forgive me - I have no idea where to start.

I have to spend a lot of time in hospital, and if anyone has this misfortune, they will know how rubbish and expensive watching TV in hospital is!

At home, I have a Vusolo2 box installed, along with a high speed Virgin Media connection.

On my tablet at home, I can connect to the Vusolo2 via my WIFI and can watch any of the channels anywhere within the WIFI range.
    (I use the address http://192.168.0.01 then the number my box is assigned to, then use the OpenWebif page to select a channel, which then opens with VLC).

What I'm hoping to do, is to simply connect to my Vusolo2 when I'm not at home, example being - watch any of my channels when I'm in hospital.

I seriously have no idea on how to accomplish this, and dare not try anything in case I mess up badly.

If anyone can provide me with an idiot proof guide - Step 1, Step 2 etc on how to do this, I would be a very happy person, armed with my tablet for my next round of hospital tratment!

Fingers crossed, and best wishes,

Carsmile.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kisumisu For This Useful Post:

digsatman (17-02-23)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast