Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Box Works But No Picture

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Box Works But No Picture

Got a strange one here,

Family member with a MB Twin+, Working fine for months, box is unplugged for something else to be hooked up for a day or so and then plugged back into the same HDMI port with the same HDMI cable but on boot up the openvix splash screen displays and then nothing. Black screen, tried different HDMI ports and different cables, tv etc but nothing will show.

If I use openwebif everything is working normally, I can grab a screenshot, change channel but still nothing on the tv.

Any ideas? Is it the tv?

Thanks

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Did your turn your box and Tv off before removing and inserting your HDMI cable. If not you could have damaged the HDMI port on the box/tv.
    Octagon SF8008 4K, VU+Duo 2..
    Edision OS MINI,

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,887 Times in 2,242 Posts
    You can use the web interface to turn on debug logs (if not on) and then pull the debug log from the box and post it here in case it shows something useful
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 878 Posts
    I had the same issue with an MB Twin (not the plus model). Worked fine for 6-9 months then occasionally would display the 720p splash screen, but not the 1080i OSD or channel video. I had to turn the TV to standby and switch off the power for a minute or so. Ditto on the MB Twin. Then power up both and it would work. I assumed it was some form of HDMI handshake issue. Eventually it got to the stage where I couldn't clear it at all and ended up using a different cable. Fingers crossed this has worked for some months now. I've been testing a new Mutant HD51 using the same TV for the past couple of weeks and I've had a couple of occasions where the 1080p image will not display. Putting the TV into standby for a couple of seconds seems to clear the issue, so maybe the problem is that the TV (8 years old Sony LCD) is not handling the resolution change properly.

Good advice about not hot-plugging the HDMI cable, though. You should ensure both devices are powered off (or in standby at least) before dis/connecting the HDMI cable.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    If your constantly fitting and pulling the hdmi cable into the box you could have easily damaged it, especially if you can still see the video feed via the web interface. You should ideally use a hdmi splitter in these instances.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (23-11-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dfox View Post
    Got a strange one here,

Family member with a MB Twin+, Working fine for months, box is unplugged for something else to be hooked up for a day or so and then plugged back into the same HDMI port with the same HDMI cable but on boot up the openvix splash screen displays and then nothing. Black screen, tried different HDMI ports and different cables, tv etc but nothing will show.

If I use openwebif everything is working normally, I can grab a screenshot, change channel but still nothing on the tv.

Any ideas? Is it the tv?

Thanks
    Hi mate , try scart lead,if that works must be HDIM slot or cable problem ,try other hdim cable ,also try it different tv,could be anything ,

regards Nick

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks all, tried different tv, different leads and tried powering them on at the same time but still no luck. Its a family members box so will have to be sent back to me to test and the WOS

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I still say they have very likely damaged the hdmi port if they have been constantly plugging in and removing the hdmi cable. A 10 quid switch would have prevented such a failure.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,887 Times in 2,242 Posts
    The issue is the family that probably don,t know (and don,t care) what they are doing..... I have a really good setup in my lounge which I simplify when we go away and my in-laws come ... but every time they manage to screw up the system because they are finger happy and end up powering off the systems to solve the issue ... but doesn,t always fix it......often its just that they have switched the remote to tv mode ...... but!
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> DUR-Line DCR 5-1-8-L4 Multiswitch to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Spaun SUS 5581/33 NFA Multiswitch to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using Legacy ports on multiswitches
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Im not sure what they have done but other devices work on the tv with the same hdmi cable and same input.

Maybe they have unplugged it and back in too much. Problem is they dont understand the implications. Well they do now ha ha.

I will wait for it to turn up on my doorstep and take a look.

Thanks

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    its a very common practice of unplugging and plugging in anything on electronics be it cables or usb sticks

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Tested with and RCA connection to tv and it works so looks like the HDMI port is buggered.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dfox For This Useful Post:

cactikid (27-11-16)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    its a very common practice of unplugging and plugging in anything on electronics be it cables or usb sticks
    HDMI ports are not designed for that kind of use, once the hdmi cable is inserted it almost always stays there and only gets removed maybe half a dozen times in its life. If you are going to be constantly plugging in and removing the cable it will eventually break especially for older or younger users who tend to wiggle the cable free instead of cleanly pulling or pushing it home.

All of my devices go through dedicated HDMI switches, this both protects the port on the receiver it self (I'd rather replace a £10 to £40 switch than a several hundred ££ receiver) and allows multiple devices to be attached to limited inputs. I do the same thing for my network too via a 16 port network switch.

SIMPLES.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

dfox (27-11-16)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dfox View Post
    Tested with and RCA connection to tv and it works so looks like the HDMI port is buggered.

highly doubt that kind of user abuse (forgive the term but that's how most manufacturers will view it) would be covered under a general warranty. Although I still recommend you contact the seller if it's within its warranty period just to make sure.

You could also remove the lid and see if the port it self is loose from the main board and if so you may just need to resolver it in place or get some one to do it for you. (That will definitely void the warranty however so use it as a last resort).

SIMPLES.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

dfox (27-11-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Before i contact WOS i will lift the lid off and have a look and see if it is still attached to the main board. I just cant understand how it shows the black openvix screen but then goes black, could it not be a handshake problem as mentioned earlier?