Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 0.8w thor sat reception

Title
    Thanks
    Cheers tony. Your advice has been much appreciated. The webif idea up the ladder for the snr is a great idea. The skin was the sky blue hd skin. Like you said on the original screen the readings are full screen for snr.
    Can you advice what the major sats are or is there a list somewhere. I know its personal preference mainly but which are common.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,117 Times in 881 Posts
    As you say, it's personal preference as regards sats. I have zero interest in football, but a lot of the guys on the forum would and could advise better as to which would be good. You will need a subscription/card for most. Most of the other satellites are predominantly foreign language (if English is your native/only language!). 19E is good but mainly German language (good for live F1 on RTL if you don't have a sky sub and CH4 are not showing it live). 13E has a huge selection of channels, but mainly Italian. 23E carries a lot but mostly encrypted. 42E is mainly Turkish. 39E is mainly Greek. 30W has a lot of Spanish/Portuguese but I think you have a restriction in that direction. Your reception is limited because of the small dish, but a larger dish may be an issue for you if the pole and mountings are not substantial. You really need a 2" (50mm) pole and good T and K brackets for a stable dish during windy weather.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmarkwright View Post
    Hi all ,

I am setting up a motorised dish on a vu+ solo 2 receiver. After a few teething problems which i have now rectified i can now drive the dish to the given sat by gotox.

My question is this do you think it is possible to receive reception from thor 0.8w using 60cm dish.

My current setup is this:
    VU+ solo 2 Receiver
    Technomate tm2600 motor
    60cm dish with octo lnb

The dish is mounted high on the gable end of a south facing wall.
    I have aligned the dish to true south with the motor on 0.
    I THEN DROVE THE MOTOR TO THOR 0.8w
    i used sat finder to adjust the dish via the motor bracketary.
    I then inline connected a sat signal finder to fine adjust the signal however I could not get any feedback on the signal finder no matter how much i manipulated the dish around that satellite area.

I tried to setup to thor as people suggest this is best due to the highest sat but is it possible i cannot recieve this on a 60cm dish.

I will try to drive to astra 28.2 tonight and see if i have any luck.

but any feedback welcome.

regards jon.
    Hi mate , Thor-5 & 6 ---0.8 west --80 cm European beam
    Thor-5 & 6 ---0.8 ---100 cm for Nordic beam in South East England,
    your dish is to small,

regards Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Thanks
    Hi.
    I realise this thread is old, but folk will read it for the first time just as I have done.
    I'd like to comment that 15 years ago, when I first set up my system, I used Thor as the reference.
    Recently I moved my dish and repeated set up from scratch. I could not get a signal from Thor.
    I have completed the setup by trial and error and can get satellites from 7 east to 46 east but NOT Thor.
    Not bothered about it, just for info. Perhaps something changed in the intervening years.
    The current footprint would suggest it's difficult from here or from the UK
    I'm at 46.5 south, 0.03 degrees west, 80cm dish.
    Just to add, if you possibly can, mount your dish at or near ground level. It's easier.
    Cheers.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wozles View Post
    Hi.
    I realise this thread is old, but folk will read it for the first time just as I have done.
    I'd like to comment that 15 years ago, when I first set up my system, I used Thor as the reference.
    Recently I moved my dish and repeated set up from scratch. I could not get a signal from Thor.
    I have completed the setup by trial and error and can get satellites from 7 east to 46 east but NOT Thor.
    Not bothered about it, just for info. Perhaps something changed in the intervening years.
    The current footprint would suggest it's difficult from here or from the UK
    I'm at 46.5 south, 0.03 degrees west, 80cm dish.
    Just to add, if you possibly can, mount your dish at or near ground level. It's easier.
    Cheers.
    maybe thats your issue mate, your USALS should be 46.5 NORTH latitude, not south.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,117 Times in 881 Posts
    @wozles - can you confirm that you are at 46N (not 46S which is in the South Atlantic). 46N would put you in the mid-West of France area. It's possible that the footprint from Thor is mostly towards the Nordic regions and that you are outside the receivable area. Mounting a motorised dish low down is handy for adjustment certainly, but you have to have a completely unobstructed horizon from east to west if you are to pull in the maximum number of satellites. Any trees or buildings nearby will obstruct your reception. Dishes mounted low down are also subject to accidental knocks from footballs etc.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    yes - use dishpointer dot com for your USALS location

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123