Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recording subtitles

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    JThe bbc1 HD programme I referred to was infact the Graham Norton Show.
    Not only were the subtitles 5 seconds slow, but, in the main, they were appearing in single words rather than sentences or phrases.
    Almost impossible to follow.
    That sounds like live-subtitling.
    Imagine how fast people have to type, to get this result (even if it's not appreciated by you). And sometimes it includes translating as well.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    That sounds like live-subtitling.
    Imagine how fast people have to type, to get this result (even if it's not appreciated by you). And sometimes it includes translating as well.
    It was a pre-recorded programme which I then recorded, so no "live" element to the subtitles.
    Having said that, I suppose they could have been added live, but I'd be very surprised if that was the case.
    Last edited by ccs; 30-10-16 at 09:56.

Title
    Thanks
    It was a pre-recorded programme which I then recorded, so no "live" element to the subtitles.
    Having said that, I suppose they could have been added live, but I'd be very surprised if that was the case.
    Yes, they would be live subtitles - they were generated when the program was originally transmitted, in real time. Retransmissions of the program use the same subtitles from what I have seen. Just like when watching news programs, the subtitles invariably end up being spat out on the screen like a gatling gun, a word at a time, sometimes half a sentence. Impossible to follow reliably unless you won the speed-reader of the year award.

The Topfield 5800 did not have a problem with live subtitles as has already been mentioned. I suppose a solution to this could involve buffering the subtitles stream and then printing them on-screen a sentence at a time. When I stream from Mut@nt to a PC of a live program and play the stream with mpv or vlc, I don't get this word-@-a-time problem. So I assume this is something to do with onboard video player settings, or the memory constraints of the Mut@nt.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I'm glad you've mentioned the live subtitling issue, as I have the same problem, on top of the same timing issue seen by Paul. The gatling gun style live subtitle issue is a bug in OpenVix, whereas the latter is specific to the proprietary drivers shipped with specific boxes, so is limited to certain models. In my case an XTrend ET8500. Do you have a Mut@nt HD51, Mick? (and Paul if you happen to still be around!)

I'm putting a patch together for both bugs, although working around the driver bugs will break the handling of badly timed subtitles on the Travel Channel, which was important enough to someone to fix a few years ago.

Title
    Thanks
    Yes, I have a Mut@nt HD51 with freeview tuners. I do not experience the problem paulab described with subtitles getting out sync. The subtitles on films and documentaries (i.e. pre-recorded programs) appear as they should, in sync and in full sentences. I only have a problem with live transmissions, e.g. news bulletins, where they appear in gatling gun style, with some words and parts of sentences disappearing within milliseconds. Changing the delay for subtitles does not seem to make a difference with this live transmission problem. I'd be grateful for a fix.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    That's the way they are on live transmissions - there's nothing to fix.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (25-03-19)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I beg to differ. The live subtitle code has a subtle bug that means it doesn't match the DVB spec in a couple of important places. Have a look at this video and you'll see that live subtitles are pretty much unreadable. What should happen is that single word subtitles should add to the previous words on the line until there's no more space, then that line should be readable in full when the next line starts filling. What we have currently is not the correct behaviour. Note that you don't see this behaviour when they read the headlines on the news as these seem to be fed from the same system as the newsreader's autocue or when they're playing a report.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simonc For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (25-03-19),Valiant (25-03-19)

Title
    Thanks
    I'm currently on OpenVix-5.2.037 and noticed the unusable subtitles 'gatling gun' problem on live transmissions has gone away! Now the subtitles appear on a couple of lines at a time and persist long enough to allow reading them. This is both when watching live and when playing back a recording of a previously live transmission. I tried it on BBC News - I assume other channels will behave the same. I don't know if someone changed the code to achieve this, or if it happened as a side-effect of some other code change - either way I am a happy camper and thankful for the result.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,089 Posts
    No accident...……

Code:
    https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/pull/401

Title
    Thanks
    No accident...……

Code:
    https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/pull/401
    Grateful both to Simon for fixing it and Abu for merging it. Pints await whenever you're in the area!
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Yes, that was me :-)

I've been digging around fixing a problem with non live subtitles running ahead on my XTrend 8500 (coming along in a subsequent release hopefully). Having seen how silly live subtitles were, I couldn't not have a pop at fixing it!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to simonc For This Useful Post:

cactikid (19-04-19),Mickkie (12-04-19),Willo3092 (12-04-19)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simonc View Post

I've been digging around fixing a problem with non live subtitles running ahead on my XTrend 8500 (coming along in a subsequent release hopefully). Having seen how silly live subtitles were, I couldn't not have a pop at fixing it!
    Thanks again Simon. Out of interest, I noticed on recorded shows (perhaps not of live transmissions?) the last subtitles spoken by a person remain on the screen, long after the scene has moved on. Eventually disappear (say after 5 seconds or longer) and then reappear again within a second or so. Of course, if someone speaks again in the subsequent scene the old persisting subtitles are overwritten by the latest utterances. I don't know if this is intentional, or the result of a bug.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Yes, I've been finding the duration of subtitles a little longer than necessary, especially where there's no dialogue for a prolonged period. Back to the DTT specification to see what they say...

Title
    Thanks
    i want to know is there any sowtware to use make subtitles for youtube vides i dont know about it

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simonc View Post

Hi Simon - I've just updated to 5.2.045 but still seeing the live subtitles appearing a word at a time, though sometimes it then rewrites them afterwards as a single line briefly?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast