Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: satellites.xml file upload

Title
    Thanks

satellites.xml file upload

My efforts to setup my Osmini combo continue.
    I have had some difficulties tuning in all satellite channels on Sat 28.2 E.
    My research on forums and Google suggest that I need an updated satellites.xml file.
    I have duly downloaded an uptodate version and now wish to upload it to my box.
    My problem is that I have identified two such files on my root directory as follows:

/var/etc/wpa_supplicant/satellites.xml and /var/etc/tuxbox/scce/satellites.xml.

Can anybody please enlighten me as to which file I should overwrite when I upload the updated version ?

Regards

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,146 Times in 6,224 Posts
    Those locations are incorrect.

User version (this has higher priority) of the files should go in /etc/enigma2
    System version goes in /etc/tuxbox/

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Terrafirma (19-10-16),victoriahenri (15-11-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you for your very prompt response.

You say these locations are incorrect, but these locations were created by the system not by me .

So to be clear;

1 Do I understand the "User version" to be the updated file which I have downloaded from the web ?

2. Should I install the downloaded file in /etc/enigma2 ?

3. Should I delete both existing .Xml versions and allow the system to create a new version?

Regards

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    /var/etc/wpa_supplicant/satellites.xml and /var/etc/tuxbox/scce/satellites.xml
    these locations are wrong full stop, you seem to be getting to these locations via symlinks.
    /var/etc/wpa_supplicant/ should just be /etc/wpa_supplicant, it does not contain any satellites.xml on my boxes running vix.
    /var/etc/tuxbox/scce/ should just be /etc/tuxbox/scce/ and does not contain any satellites.xml on my boxes running vix.
    /etc/tuxbox/ does contain the file as Abu said, he also told you where to put the file.
    TBH if you have done a clean install of vix you should not need a fresh satellites.xml file to recieve extra channels from 28.2, if you are having tuning difficultys it most likley your a problem with your dish/lnb or cables.
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DaMacFunkin For This Useful Post:

Terrafirma (19-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
    /var/etc/wpa_supplicant/satellites.xml and /var/etc/tuxbox/scce/satellites.xml
    these locations are wrong full stop, you seem to be getting to these locations via symlinks.
    /var/etc/wpa_supplicant/ should just be /etc/wpa_supplicant, it does not contain any satellites.xml on my boxes running vix.
    /var/etc/tuxbox/scce/ should just be /etc/tuxbox/scce/ and does not contain any satellites.xml on my boxes running vix.
    /etc/tuxbox/ does contain the file as Abu said, he also told you where to put the file.
    TBH if you have done a clean install of vix you should not need a fresh satellites.xml file to recieve extra channels from 28.2, if you are having tuning difficultys it most likley your a problem with your dish/lnb or cables.
    Thanks -- that was most helpful. It seems that my best approach is to do a completely fresh install.

Thanks again and very kind regards.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Be aware:
    1- In etc/tuxbox lives the system-file satellites.xml. It is being maintained by ViX, meaning that on every image update you get a current one.
    2- If desired, you can use your own satellites.xml in etc/enigma2. That one will take precedence over the system file, but obviously by doing so you take over the responsibility to maintain it yourself.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

Terrafirma (19-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    Be aware:
    1- In etc/tuxbox lives the system-file satellites.xml. It is being maintained by ViX, meaning that on every image update you get a current one.
    2- If desired, you can use your own satellites.xml in etc/enigma2. That one will take precedence over the system file, but obviously by doing so you take over the responsibility to maintain it yourself.
    Noted -- thanks for your input -- I've obviously got so much to learn.

Cheers !!

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,925 Times in 3,259 Posts
    Simple answer is don't interfere with satellites.xml unless you have a good reason and know why you are doing it. Our satellites.xml contains all dth transponders for 28.2E.

Most online generators contain stale data and false orbital slots. The only generator we recommend is satellites-xml.org but selecting options still requires user knowledge.

we have spent a long time prrfecting the creation process of our satellites.xml but if you somehow find it lacking please tell us how so we can look at improving it.
    Last edited by Huevos; 19-10-16 at 10:28.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

Terrafirma (19-10-16)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Well, as I told you in an other thread, there is a perfect good reason to use a 'personal' satellites.xml, and that's when using a setting editor. Any setting editor needs a satellites.xml, just as E2 does. Of course one can set up the editor to use the system file, that's not the problem. But then the file will be overwritten during an image update. And all this is not the case when using the 'personal' file in etc/enigma2.

Having said that: I fully concur with Huevos's statement about 'know what you do', don't mess around with these files. And use a good satellites.xml (I always use one form the generator Huevos mentioned). And make sure to maintain the file (which basically is someone who creates and hence maintains his own settings will certainly do).

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

Terrafirma (19-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you !
    I've got that message loud and clear . i've given up any thought of modifying that file === ever.
    Must consider other approaches to solve the mystery of the missing channels.

Kind Regards