Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with new cable tuner - signal poor

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by imish View Post
    yes - a mix of male and female coax/f adaptors to terminate the cables appropriately.

think you are right about the signal strength - been a learning experience

I've reverted back to a single cable connected to the main feed and the 2nd loop through - that way atleast I get perfect reception on one tuner until I get a suitable amplifier - maybe for the 2nd feed - any thoughts on something like this? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mix-Digita...MAAOSwi0RXyEGm
    That booster is for satellite, it draws power from the set top box lnb feed, on cable the power comes the other way from the green box so it might not work.
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    yes - a mix of male and female coax/f adaptors to terminate the cables appropriately.

think you are right about the signal strength - been a learning experience

I've reverted back to a single cable connected to the main feed and the 2nd loop through - that way atleast I get perfect reception on one tuner until I get a suitable amplifier - maybe for the 2nd feed
    As I've posted before, 1 input and 2 outputs and fit the amp/booster after the passive splitter and then a lead from each of the amp/booster outputs to each of the tuner inputs. This way you can isolate each tuner.

Consider:
    i) Both tuners are exactly the same and if one is marginal on signal strength the other will also be marginal, hence both need an increase in signal level
    ii) If tuner 1 output is causing problem with noise all you will be doing by placing an amp between tuner 1 and tuner 2 is an amplification of the noise.

- any thoughts on something like this? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mix-Digita...MAAOSwi0RXyEGm
    In my opinion amplifying frequencies up to 2400 MHz may just introduce more noise into the system. An Amp/booster up to 1000Mhz (UHF) is more suited for amplifying terrestrial/cable signals.
    Note: I'm not sure of the highest frequency used by Virgin but be aware that for terrestrial TV via an aerial the frequency range has been reduced to 700MHz and some of the UHF amp/boosters now incorporate a 4G (mobile phone) filter to exclude frequencies above 700MHz.

The gain of the amp you link to is 20db which will amplify your signal level by x10. I suspect that a gain of x1.5 (4dB) to x2 (6dB) is more than adequate as you say that your system appears to be is just on the point of being unreliable. A 20dB (x10) gain is likely to completely overload (in a non destructive way) the front end of your tuners and you will end up with no channels being detected.

Have you got the 5V output turned on? menu -> set-up -> sevice searching -> tuner configuration -> select each of you cable tuners and check for 'Enable 5V for active antenna' = off. If this is currently switched to on it may be the source of your problem.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

imish (02-10-16)

Title
    Thanks

Need help with new cable tuner - signal poor

Interesting post - lots to take in.

Haven't seen the 5V setting - will check that again

Btw: I've just ordered this - now after reading your post not sure whether this will work with cable..

Monacor 400MHz SAT F Attenuator https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004APIY..._Piw8xb4XH69JJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Thanks

Need help with new cable tuner - signal poor

To be clear what sort of specs am I looking for in an inline amplifier / booster?

Based on the thread so far it seems

upto 1000mhz
    75ohm
    Upto 6gb gain or adjustable

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    A bit more research says cable is 5 or 47MHz to 860MHz albeit carrying some legacy services. Therefore, as pointed out by another poster, an aerial amp will not be suitable as many modern aerial boosters now filter out the recent and future mobile phone frequency allocation which is anything above 700MHz and the emergency services (legacy) Tetra frequencies.

Code:
    http://www.aerialsandtv.com/appendix.html#CableTVfrequencies
    so
    5 to 860MHz (or maybe 48 to 860) - you may only find them 5 to 2400Mhz but if the higher figure is towards 860 to 1000MHz the better, The above link also links to a 2 way 47 to 860 amp
    75 Ohms
    Probably 6db to 10dB or variable
    1 input , 2 outputs or more outputs.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    what are others stating their signal levels are with that box as i have et 10000 and level is around 53 for both and perfect viewing,tratec splitter 5-1000mhz on a cable that has another splitter on.

question is correct net id in use and excellent cable and splitters in use?

was wondering on all those ebay items from china like a certain z***** box ?
    Last edited by cactikid; 02-10-16 at 22:10.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    To be clear what sort of specs am I looking for in an inline amplifier / booster?

Based on the thread so far it seems

upto 1000mhz
    75ohm
    Upto 6gb gain or adjustable

Just get the box i posted in the pic off ebay, i have used two or three for people and they worked fine and cost less than a tenner, just be sure to fit any plugs correctly to minimise noise.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DaMacFunkin For This Useful Post:

imish (03-10-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post

Have you got the 5V output turned on? menu -> set-up -> sevice searching -> tuner configuration -> select each of you cable tuners and check for 'Enable 5V for active antenna' = off. If this is currently switched to on it may be the source of your problem.
    You don't get that option when the tuner is switched to cable, as stated before about satellite, the box can send power to the lnb or ariel, but with cable the power comes from the green box.
    Just because the tuner can be switched between cable and ariel doesn't mean they work the same.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DaMacFunkin For This Useful Post:

imish (03-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
    Just get the box i posted in the pic off ebay, i have used two or three for people and they worked fine and cost less than a tenner, just be sure to fit any plugs correctly to minimise noise.
    ordered - will take a month to arrive from the far east......lets hope it isn't an empty metal box

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12