Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with new cable tuner - signal poor

Title
    Thanks

Need help with new cable tuner - signal poor

Bought a new cable tuner to add to the box - so now have two cable and 1 sat tuner in the box.

Having signal issues with some particular channels

With one tuner connected - BBC 2 - 86%
    With both tuners connected - drops to 76% and pixelates

Same with BBC news and with channel 5

Other channels like BBC 1 and itv are unaffected

So seems like losing signal strength with both tuners connected - what can I do to amplify the signal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by imish View Post
    Bought a new cable tuner to add to the box - so now have two cable and 1 sat tuner in the box.

Having signal issues with some particular channels

With one tuner connected - BBC 2 - 86%
    With both tuners connected - drops to 76% and pixelates

Same with BBC news and with channel 5

Other channels like BBC 1 and itv are unaffected

So seems like losing signal strength with both tuners connected - what can I do to amplify the signal?
    How are you connecting the tuners?

A single cable from a (3 way) splitter to each tuner input?

OR

Tuner 1 input comes from a splitter and then Tuner 1 output connected to Tuner 2 input?
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks

Need help with new cable tuner - signal poor

Tried both

With the former - signals levels of both tuners are the same and hence they pixelate on the Same channels

With the latter - the tuner connected directly works fine and the "looped" one pixelates on those specific channels.
    Last edited by imish; 01-10-16 at 22:48.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Tried both

With the former - signals levels of both tuners are the same and hence they pixelate on the Same channels

With the latter - the tuner connected directly works fine and the "looped" one pixelated on this specific channels.
    Have you tried with a 2 way splitter and tuner 1 output looped through to tuner 2 input.

A two way splitter has a lower signal loss compared with a three way splitter. Using a three way splitter with one unused output is not a good idea as you can get impedance mismatches and signal reflections which can degrade the signal.

Another possibility is local electrical interference getting in through poorly screened fly leads. If electrical local interference is suspected try, as a test, turning off all nearby electrical items except your box and the TV. Plug in wall wart power supplies can cause a lot of electrical interference at specific frequencies
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    I should have mentioned that I have a two way splitter and not a 3 way.

interesting point about interference - will give that a try tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

any other splitters on the market that can amplify the signal?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yes, cheap chinese ones on ebay are fine BUT, you may need to use the provided connectors with some of them, it is important you fit these properly and don't introduce noise or interference.
    s-l400.jpg
    This looks like it has normal RF connectors which would be better, but still beware fitting any plugs yourself, any noise IN, would be amplified OUT.
    Cable is really sensitive to Noise and faulty plug fittings, much more so than normal Ariel.
    p.s. make sure you use a 3 amp fused UK adaptor.
    p.p.s. make sure you buy a 220v one!!!
    Last edited by DaMacFunkin; 02-10-16 at 08:33.
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DaMacFunkin For This Useful Post:

imish (03-10-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    interesting point about interference - will give that a try tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.
    Often cured by using WF100/CT100 type fly-leads which have 100% copper screening.

any other splitters on the market that can amplify the signal?
    You could insert an aerial amp/booster in line AFTER the passive splitter and before the tuner input. You don't want your broadband signals going through the amp/booster.

Random Example
    Code:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SLx-27822HSG-Output-Booster-Compatible/dp/B00DB22ZUC/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
    This amp has variable gain. You can also have too much signal!

Often recommended as one of the better quality products on one of the other forums I subscribe to is the PROception range of amplifiers from Blakes Aerials, but at a higher cost
    Note: the PROception has a low fixed gain so without knowing what signal strength may cure your problem a variable gain device may be the better bet

There are many more of this type of amp/booster available on-line or from your local Argos/Maplin/Tesco etc.

Title
    Thanks
    Using these patch leads
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1910624410...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks - will look into boosters with variable gain.

Any thoughts on these?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Satellite-S...+variable+gain

Title
    Thanks
    found a few more on eBay - need a 2 way splitter
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...+220V&_sacat=0

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    They are OK RG6 suitable TV via an aerial or cable. They will be fully screened.

Ideally you need 1 input and 2 outputs.

If you are worried about different connector types then you can get screw on F to coax adapters with a choice of male or female ends and/or male female F ends.
    The sponsor sells them or variety of sellers have packs of 4/8 etc on a well known auction site
    http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/...s-and-adaptors

Code:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-Socket-Adaptor-to-Male-Female-Coax-Adaptors-F-plug-/351052073150?hash=item51bc5588be:g:~hQAAMXQ4YtSL1Wt
    Last edited by adm; 02-10-16 at 11:17.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    found a few more on eBay - need a 2 way splitter
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...+220V&_sacat=0

My last order from a Ebay Chinese seller took 5+ weeks to be delivered. This seller estimates delivery between 18 Oct and 9 Nov. In my experience the latter date may be optimistic.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    They are OK RG6 suitable TV via an aerial or cable. They will be fully screened.

Ideally you need 1 input and 2 outputs.

If you are worried about different connector types then you can get screw on F to coax adapters with a choice of male or female ends and/or male female F ends.
    The sponsor sells them or variety of sellers have packs of 4/8 etc on a well known auction site
    http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/...s-and-adaptors

Code:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-Socket-Adaptor-to-Male-Female-Coax-Adaptors-F-plug-/351052073150?hash=item51bc5588be:g:~hQAAMXQ4YtSL1Wt
    So these patch leads are good enough?

Funnily enough the channels are working fine today and I haven't done anything.

Maybe the cable provider were messing with the network yesterday.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    So these patch leads are good enough?
    Your patch/fly leads are more than adequate for your application. RG6 cable is rated for terrestrial and cable frequencies and is fully screened. I note that your leads are terminated in F connectors so are you using an screw on F to coax adapter at the end that plugs into the tuner?

Funnily enough the channels are working fine today and I haven't done anything.
    Or you are just on that signal level area between reliable and unreliable and a low gain amplifier/booster may be suitable.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

imish (02-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Your patch/fly leads are more than adequate for your application. RG6 cable is rated for terrestrial and cable frequencies and is fully screened. I note that your leads are terminated in F connectors so are you using an screw on F to coax adapter at the end that plugs into the tuner?

Or you are just on that signal level area between reliable and unreliable and a low gain amplifier/booster may be suitable.
    yes - a mix of male and female coax/f adaptors to terminate the cables appropriately.

think you are right about the signal strength - been a learning experience

I've reverted back to a single cable connected to the main feed and the 2nd loop through - that way atleast I get perfect reception on one tuner until I get a suitable amplifier - maybe for the 2nd feed - any thoughts on something like this? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mix-Digita...MAAOSwi0RXyEGm

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Often cured by using WF100/CT100 type fly-leads which have 100% copper screening.

You could insert an aerial amp/booster in line AFTER the passive splitter and before the tuner input. You don't want your broadband signals going through the amp/booster.

Random Example
    Code:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SLx-27822HSG-Output-Booster-Compatible/dp/B00DB22ZUC/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
    This amp has variable gain. You can also have too much signal!

Often recommended as one of the better quality products on one of the other forums I subscribe to is the PROception range of amplifiers from Blakes Aerials, but at a higher cost
    Note: the PROception has a low fixed gain so without knowing what signal strength may cure your problem a variable gain device may be the better bet

There are many more of this type of amp/booster available on-line or from your local Argos/Maplin/Tesco etc.
    The guy is having problems with his cable channels, normal ariel boosters shouldn't be able to operate in the same frequency range should they?
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast